Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gc 600 / 680 > regular california?

H

Holidaymaker

Vehicle
N/A
Is here peoples who is change Grand Califorina to regular California?

I am enjoy Gc real 2 funtions - is bed always ready go sleep and is priavte toilet house inside camping machine. Yes is nice can standing upright human all camper and not must elevation roof for such.

Regular Califorina is more luxury quiet and pleasant driving - my Gc noisy and of course parking Gc must be very wattching every around camper not obstacle to hit.

In other operations, regular California is more useful? Is easy more for parking and can driving same than normal car. GC for me is holidays vehicle only to me and such is not use so much other times - i am keep regular car travel shoppings and other activitie.

I am wonder if is better change regular California? Each peoples is different need for holiday and regular time transportations. I am interest what is other peoples do and thinkings.

Exactly like you say, different vehicles for different people/situations/wants/needs...
We have a Cali as it can be used as a regular vehicle and a GC wouldn't fit on our driveway either!

But I'd love to own a GC sized camper at some point...
I have fortunate much parking place home keep Gc and regular cars, - is convenient and can charging land power to camper leisure battery or Ev car.

When i was regular California, I am use each week, Gc is Ocotober last time is move, and next week is first time this year - i am hope is not wheels glue to my garden!.

This reason i am wonder if is better i am change regular Califorina - I am more use, Gc is garden decoration same than big Gnome.

If i am change, I must quickly doing - i am require 4M and is not so many new 4M California available now and is cannot order new one.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
Have you considered the option of a Cali T6.1 only and just hiring a bigger Camper or Motorhome for the holiday trip that the T6.1 is too small for?

I tend to favour the full sized Motorhomes for space etc than a the in between Cali Grand type of vehicle .

Have you considered the option of a Cali T6.1 only and just hiring a bigger Camper or Motorhome for the holiday trip that the T6.1 is too small for?

I tend to favour the full sized Motorhomes for space etc than a the in between Cali Grand type of vehicle .
This very good thinking - you give me something consider! - thankyou, Cali is must make bed each night, but Gc is bed always ready.
Gc too big using 1 day, only going away longer times, regular Cali can be each day using. I am need 1 each Gc and Cali but is not economic good!.

I traded in my first Cali T6 on a GC 680 and have traveled with it for more than half a year. Not only the parking issues are a fact, but I found out that at the end the space in a small Cali bigger is and far more ergonomic. I also found the build quality of the GC crappy, had a lot of trouble with it (it was horrible). Never ever a GC for me, can’t wait till my T6.1 will be delivered. Just my two cents…

I had T5 based campers (admittedly not Californias but very good, professional conversions) for 12 years.
Switched to a GC680 a few months ago. What a revelation. I will never go back to the smaller profile.

GC Positives:

No frigging around with pop tops and setting up / putting away the bed. That really used to get boring, especially since we tend to stay in one place only for a night or two.

No more early morning dashes through rain to a smelly loo block, with a bladder full of last night's beer. Seriously, I could not go back to that.

The bed is huge and comfortable. Much bigger than a standard Cali. And I no longer ache after a couple of nights sleeping in the van.

We've so much storage space we don't know what to do with it all. No more overflowing clothes draped over the seats, or cases pushed under the bed to be dragged out every time we need something. I've read elsewhere "you just need to work out what you really need to take." Yeah? Tell that to my wife.

The interior space. I have to respectfully disagree with people saying a standard Cali has more internal space. Perhaps the distance between the swiveled front seats and the bench seats is longer in a T6 (assuming you can be arsed to dismantle the bl00dy bed - arggghh!). But the width and height are much better in the GC. Plus the kitchen intrudes far less.

Negatives:

Perhaps 80% of car parks are out of bounds.
Parking in towns requires either planning or a willingness to walk reasonable distances.

Narrow, country roads are seriously stressful, at least for a deeply average driver like me.

Fuel economy. I got 30mpg on a recent 1,200 mile road trip to The Highlands and back. I don't know what a T6.1 Cali would do but I assume a lot better than that.

Negatives:

Parking in towns requires either planning or a willingness to walk reasonable distances.

Narrow, country roads are seriously stressful, at least for a deeply average driver like me.

Fuel economy. I got 30mpg on a recent 1,200 mile road trip to The Highlands and back. I don't know what a T6.1 Cali would do but I assume a lot better than that.
I would also add the following

negatives:
The rear seat is far smaller & more uncomfortable than the Ocean one, both in travel and lounging mode.

The GC whether 600 or 680 is really designed for two. The above mentioned seat along with the lack of openable (whilst moving) windows, aircon, heating outlets or radio speakers makes it a pretty miserable experience for anyone not sitting in the front.

The standard leisure battery set up is not up to the job, 24 hours max without hookup or a lot of driving.

On a 600 the kitchen storage is awkward, no where to store dinner plates, or a frying pan.

Shutting the slider is a pain, no proper handle & needs a slam.

On the positives:
Electric heating & hot water when on hookup is fantastic,
Having the huge slider open is lovely, & having the kitchen on that side is brilliant, you cook inside whilst it still feels like you are outside.
Front seats are really really comfortable
Much more passenger leg room up front.

I would also add the following

negatives:
The rear seat is far smaller & more uncomfortable than the Ocean one, both in travel and lounging mode.

The GC whether 600 or 680 is really designed for two. The above mentioned seat along with the lack of openable (whilst moving) windows, aircon, heating outlets or radio speakers makes it a pretty miserable experience for anyone not sitting in the front.

The standard leisure battery set up is not up to the job, 24 hours max without hookup or a lot of driving.

On a 600 the kitchen storage is awkward, no where to store dinner plates, or a frying pan.

Shutting the slider is a pain, no proper handle & needs a slam.

On the positives:
Electric heating & hot water when on hookup is fantastic,
Having the huge slider open is lovely, & having the kitchen on that side is brilliant, you cook inside whilst it still feels like you are outside.
Front seats are really really comfortable
Much more passenger leg room up front.
Yes agree re: made for two people.
At least for the GC680 that's a conscious design decision rather than a true negative. And I seem to remember four people camping in a T5 / T6 size van really isn't much fun, especially when the upstairs bed takes away pop-top head room.

Rear seat definitely less comfortable in the GC. Point taken.

Regarding aircon, GC has the option for a roof mounted unit. I'm not convinced it's worthwhile but will find out in the summer. I don't think this is a possibility for the standard Cali.

Agree about the leisure battery. I got two days with a bit left over, running fridge and heating. Would be nice if the capacity was higher. And I'm not savvy enough DIY solutions.
Not sure how the T6 Cali compares.

Kitchen storage is great in the 680. I guess 600 owners must store pans and plates in the floor cupboard next to the kitchen unit, just under the bed. Would work fine, I think.

Sliding door: the problem for me is that there's no electric option. I can close it fine but it's noisy.

I had T5 based campers (admittedly not Californias but very good, professional conversions) for 12 years.
Switched to a GC680 a few months ago. What a revelation. I will never go back to the smaller profile.

GC Positives:

No frigging around with pop tops and setting up / putting away the bed. That really used to get boring, especially since we tend to stay in one place only for a night or two.

No more early morning dashes through rain to a smelly loo block, with a bladder full of last night's beer. Seriously, I could not go back to that.

The bed is huge and comfortable. Much bigger than a standard Cali. And I no longer ache after a couple of nights sleeping in the van.

We've so much storage space we don't know what to do with it all. No more overflowing clothes draped over the seats, or cases pushed under the bed to be dragged out every time we need something. I've read elsewhere "you just need to work out what you really need to take." Yeah? Tell that to my wife.

The interior space. I have to respectfully disagree with people saying a standard Cali has more internal space. Perhaps the distance between the swiveled front seats and the bench seats is longer in a T6 (assuming you can be arsed to dismantle the bl00dy bed - arggghh!). But the width and height are much better in the GC. Plus the kitchen intrudes far less.

Negatives:

Interesting thoughts. We are just beginning the transition from LWB High-roof T6 to a LWB TGE bespoke conversion.

I have only driven the TGE a few miles (it's now got about 600 miles on the clock) but find it even more comfortable than the T6. As for the width, the TGE is only 130mm wider than the T6 including the mirrors. Not having been an Automatic gearbox driver in the past I find it very relaxing especially in comparison with the other vehicle in the family which is manual with no synchromesh on any gear!

We haven't yet managed to compare the stowage space in comparison with the LWB High Roof T6 as that has large lockers front and rear so the TGE may actually be a bit of a challenge.

For anyone wanting to follow the build of our TGE I will try to document it on https://craftertgeforum.com/threads/the-journey-begins-lwb-tge-to-two-berth-camper.136/

Back