Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC problems

S

Spyder

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Yes I have GC California 680 still waiting for new Awning from Vw to fit 90 days later they are tell me the brackets have been discontinued I find this hard to believe cos you can order one to be fitted on new orders also waiting for new work top cos off discoloured going yellow not happy all this money and problems not being sorted have I done the right thing getting a Vw GC Cali ?

WiFi I fitted AVTEX there new WiFi cost £320 plus £85 fitted no problems 10out10

Yes I have GC California 680 still waiting for new Awning from Vw to fit 90 days later they are tell me the brackets have been discontinued I find this hard to believe cos you can order one to be fitted on new orders also waiting for new work top cos off discoloured going yellow not happy all this money and problems not being sorted have I done the right thing getting a Vw GC Cali ?

After some of the reading here over the last few weeks. Volkswagen might want to change the name of the bus, from the Grand California to the Grand Cockup…

I agree. What a shambles of a company VW is becoming. Traditionally good products but not that good. Time to look elsewhere.

I agree. What a shambles of a company VW is becoming. Traditionally good products but not that good. Time to look elsewhere.

Shame, it’s tainting the entire brand.
Also seems to be creeping into the sister companies.
My friend had a 2020 Skoda Octavia works car. Apparently it’s in the garage more than on the road. Electrical & software issues.
He said his 2017 Octavia covered 150 000 miles without a single failure.

It’s a real shame to hear…

Yes its across the board. I have Audi, Porsche and Skoda as well and they aren't what they were. Build quality , rattles etc. Especially software where they are literally on the starting blocks compared to the competition and the GC is no different.

I give it 3 months before the mutterings for a class action against VW for compensation due to loss of confidence in the GC. I’ve heard more than once someone say they can’t trust their £80k+ van on a planned trip of a lifetime and may not go.

Feel for you mate. Iv just purchase, collected on the 2nd August, have so many problems with the 600. Lookout for my post in the next couple days.

It's not just the grand, look at the problems with the 6.1, why do we get sucked in and put up with it. Was I lucky with my T6 Cali or was it a better vehicle?

Hope you get sorted soon @Spyder.

WiFi I fitted AVTEX there new WiFi cost £320 plus £85 fitted no problems 10out10
Sounds great, interested to the location of your antenna please.

Misery Loves Company, I guess :)

My 600 is plagued with camper-related issues (the Crafter itself is brilliant thus far) and in Spain it's all but useless to try to get it fixed by a dealer. I'd be "happy" (relatively speaking) to take it at my expense to a competent independent technician but that would invalidate my warranty.

So, I depend on the shared wisdom from some wonderful and knowledgeable people on this site. I've learned a lot. And it helps that I've been able to enjoy the camper in spite of its issues. I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about it. I will take it to Germany before the warranty runs out in August. Maybe I will fare better there.

I'm thinking that one of the RV builders (Knaus, maybe) who offers a MAN chassis (same as a Crafter) might have been a better choice- plus you can get 4Motion on the smaller, 600-size, chassis.

I rarely see GC's on the road or at campsites but I did see one at a spot in Croatia. The camper came over and said hi. A Polish chap who, as it turns out, is an engineer at the factory that produces the Grand California in Poland (he was using a factory GC).

I didn't have to say a thing before he apologized for the lack of quality control and poor design choices... :)

My 600 is plagued with camper-related issues (the Crafter itself is brilliant thus far) and in Spain it's all but useless to try to get it fixed by a dealer. I'd be "happy" (relatively speaking) to take it at my expense to a competent independent technician but that would invalidate my warranty.

So, I depend on the shared wisdom from some wonderful and knowledgeable people on this site. I've learned a lot. And it helps that I've been able to enjoy the camper in spite of its issues. I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about it. I will take it to Germany before the warranty runs out in August. Maybe I will fare better there.

I'm thinking that one of the RV builders (Knaus, maybe) who offers a MAN chassis (same as a Crafter) might have been a better choice- plus you can get 4Motion on the smaller, 600-size, chassis.

I rarely see GC's on the road or at campsites but I did see one at a spot in Croatia. The camper came over and said hi. A Polish chap who, as it turns out, is an engineer at the factory that produces the Grand California in Poland (he was using a factory GC).

I didn't have to say a thing before he apologized for the lack of quality control and poor design choices... :)

Hello @Spyder.

I toy with the idea to get the same LTE / WIFI setup from Avtex fitted, but before I spend over 400 pound I have some reservations. May I ask what are your experience with:

Installation of the aerial and router?
Where did they install the router?
From where did they get the 12 V electricity from?
Do you experience a significant increase (or reliability) of LTE reception?

Thank you for your help.

Not yet LTE connected Grand California,
Eberhard

I give it 3 months before the mutterings for a class action against VW for compensation due to loss of confidence in the GC. I’ve heard more than once someone say they can’t trust their £80k+ van on a planned trip of a lifetime and may not go.
It is now 8 months and is no class anything. Happy Campers enjoy most they vehicle and is not fussy small hiccups.
Peoples who is cannot trust GC is better stay home miserable and complains, other Happy Campers are enjoy our campers and nice summertimes now travelling - we not want moaning miserable people next door camping!.

It is now 8 months and is no class anything. Happy Campers enjoy most they vehicle and is not fussy small hiccups.
Peoples who is cannot trust GC is better stay home miserable and complains, other Happy Campers are enjoy our campers and nice summertimes now travelling - we not want moaning miserable people next door camping!.
I'd say anyone spending 80000 beautiful British pounds on something that doesn't work right have a right to moan.

I'd say anyone spending 80000 beautiful British pounds on something that doesn't work right have a right to moan.
The main complaints appear to be the water pump & the faulty kitchen tap - the two are linked, the switch in the tap gets wet & makes the pump run continuously until it burns out.
A bit of research beforehand gets you prepared for this - just pull the correct fuse & dry the tap out.
There is now a permanent fix for this from VW, a different tap.
Other than that there are really very few problems that can’t be sorted by reading trauma manuals rather than vw ones.

I don’t understand why it’s VWs fault that the OP can’t get the parts to retro fit something. If it’s that much of a disaster he should have done his research before buying a van without the options that he wanted.

The main complaints appear to be the water pump & the faulty kitchen tap - the two are linked, the switch in the tap gets wet & makes the pump run continuously until it burns out.
A bit of research beforehand gets you prepared for this - just pull the correct fuse & dry the tap out.
There is now a permanent fix for this from VW, a different tap.
Other than that there are really very few problems that can’t be sorted by reading trauma manuals rather than vw ones.
Totally agree Andie they now have the part number for the tap. Mine is going in next month for the change.

Not being able to use the kitchen tap, whilst still being able to use the bathroom one, which is on an extendable shower hose that reaches the kitchen sink is hardly a disaster.

After some of the reading here over the last few weeks. Volkswagen might want to change the name of the bus, from the Grand California to the Grand Cockup…
may you not understand - articles inside Gc which is break - is not manufacture from VW.

VW buys such item is tap, water pump, cooler-freezer - all is made other company such is Reich, Dometic etc. It is this items that break - not VW made articles.

And such same item Dometic, Reich and others can you find in many brand motorhome and camping cars and boats.

may you not understand - articles inside Gc which is break - is not manufacture from VW.

VW buys such item is tap, water pump, cooler-freezer - all is made other company such is Reich, Dometic etc. It is this items that break - not VW made articles.

And such same item Dometic, Reich and others can you find in many brand motorhome and camping cars and boats.

Volkswagen commissions the build and install the parts.
They put their name to them.
If the products are inferior, they shouldn’t be used.

There seems to be a GC issue posted day by day on the forum. Surprising, considering the small number that have been produced…???

Agree to a point issues mainly in just a few areas mainly the
1) tap which then activates the pump and burns out, so just the tap.
2) the step a faulty batch from Thule.
3) sometimes the control panel, then just requires a reboot.
4) glue stains on the work top but easily removed.
5) fridge freezes. Mainly user error due to incorrect setting or over filling.

There may be a few more but not that I have suffered.

I’ve had two GC and only had two of the issues mentioned. ie 2 and 4 so don’t really see this an issue just growing pains and when it gets as old as the T series they should all be ironed out.

Oh I also owed a 2019 T6 Ocean but wouldn’t change any of them.

All brands have issues mainly in the first few years of production.

Anyway I’m happy with my lot.

Will

A vast number of parts used to construct Volkswagen vehicles are supplied by other companies. It is the duty of Volkswagen to ensure that the quality standards and control are sufficient to create a high quality end product! If those suppliers cannot produce to the expected standard they should either be penalised for not meeting contractual agreements or have their contract terminated. BUT is there another supplier able to supply a similar product of suitable quality?
Readers may find it interesting to follow the woes of purchasers of other marques of motorhome and perhaps discover that many are just as bad as a GC and have similarly poor warranty support.

Back