Gc600 4motion

The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Is this right, I didn’t think you could get a 600 GC 4motion.
It’s advertised as 4motion on autotrader and has 4motion badges front and back8AEFF3A9-E2D3-4FB3-8B3A-D7E5EB3A2400.png

1st registered June 2021. Milage 300. New V5c issued 19th January 2022.

Is this right, I didn’t think you could get a 600 GC 4motion.
It’s advertised as 4motion on autotrader and has 4motion badges front and backView attachment 89241
Your right as far as I know they do not do a 4motion in the 600 due to weight.

Will

Available abroad, but not registered at 3.5tnne. Its at 3200kg without any options & that one has an awning & overcab bed + solar panels so probably at 3350kg without putting anyone / anything in it!

On Caliboard.de there are approx 350 owners of GC, out of that number there are 2 with 4 motion 600. One with an over cab bed, one without. Both registered as 3.88tnne

Overall membership is approx 2/3 in favour of the 600 which might surprise a few people.

Also 30 with 680s registered at 3.5tnne

Last edited:
Your right as far as I know they do not do a 4motion in the 600 due to weight.

Will
Vw is sell vehicle many market of globe - is not only little island Atlantic Ocean, Uk!.

Gc600 and other California model - not Ocean sole is available in 4Motion to other markets.

That’s what I thought, puzzling
Not puzzle. Vw is sell globe all across. Each market is different configuration available such is 4M. What is available Uk is little options, German market having much better choice.

Ocean is can having 7 drive choice -
81kw and 5 gear
110kw and 6 gear
110kw and 6 gear 4M
110kw and dsg
110kw and dsg 4M
150kw and dsg
150kw and dsg 4M

Uk island is very small choices.

Vw is sell vehicle many market of globe - is not only little island Atlantic Ocean, Uk!.

Gc600 and other California model - not Ocean sole is available in 4Motion to other markets.
Would be interested if you could show an example of a genuine UK Spec GC 600 4Motion for sale in the UK.

Would be interested if you could show an example of a genuine UK Spec GC 600 4Motion for sale in the UK.
I don't think it exists in uk spec, but here's where you can order a 600 4motion in RHD. That shows that they are built, so not that hard to imagine that you could get hold of one if you really, really wanted one.

Attachments

• Grand California MY22 Spec Sheet - 09 Feb.pdf
    314.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
That’s the only one I’ve seen so not sure how there’s a uk GC600 4motion.
I think holidaymaker is eu based different options/spec.

Will be one to watch in the future now VW are building the Crafter in Poznan and not using Mercedes any more. They offer a few Crafter 4motion options in U.K. so maybe the GC will be one soon.

The 6m market in Europe is incredibly popular, but not many options have 4x4 yet. Ducato conversions are available, Mercedes do one, but 4motion crafter doesn’t have much to compete with. Definitely an option for a lot of people, particularly those that use their vans all year round.

I don't think it exists in uk spec, but here's where you can order a 600 4motion in RHD. That shows that they are built, so not that hard to imagine that you could get hold of one if you really, really wanted one.
Guessing the payload will be minuscule even without any extras. when I specked my original 600 couldn't have a towbar and awning together.

The Price
Guessing the payload will be minuscule even without any extras. when I specked my original 600 couldn't have a towbar and awning together.
The price list for a New Zealand 600 4motion that I attached above shows it at 3180kg with an awning & extra bed but no water or even a driver. So I cant see that anyone could ever make it work at 3500kg.

The Price
The price list for a New Zealand 600 4motion that I attached above shows it at 3180kg with an awning & extra bed but no water or even a driver. So I cant see that anyone could ever make it work at 3500kg.
Perhaps they up plate them? sorry missed it in your price list Andy.

Perhaps they up plate them? Andy.
All sold as 3.88tnne in New Zealand, but their basic car driving licence covers that weight.
The one being sold in the Uk in the original post needs changing to 3.88 which is only a paper exercise. If I had seen it before buying mine I might have been tempted to investigate further.

Is Vw Uk not offers to Uk 4m to GC600.
Is available Germany and other markets.
Peoples can buying other markets and driving other countrys - some peoples is more then is 1 home. So is not much each car must lives all life country where is buy.

All sold as 3.88tnne in New Zealand, but their basic car driving licence covers that weight.
The one being sold in the Uk in the original post needs changing to 3.88 which is only a paper exercise. If I had seen it before buying mine I might have been tempted to investigate further.
I have read that on the German forum that they up plate possibly just the GC 680 to 4,400kg

Why don’t Vw do a 3 LT v6 engine. I think they do in Europe. 2 LT is far to underpowered for the GC.

I would have said the 180 engine with the auto box is perfectly suited to a GC it’s not the limiting factor as to how fast you can drive it.

It’s perfectly capable of sitting in the outside lane of a motorway at illegal speeds.

At sensible speeds it returns decent mpg

What’s not to like about it?

I would have said the 180 engine with the auto box is perfectly suited to a GC it’s not the limiting factor as to how fast you can drive it.

It’s perfectly capable of sitting in the outside lane of a motorway at illegal speeds.

At sensible speeds it returns decent mpg

What’s not to like about it?
i am gc680 4m and can tell to you - is very very noisy drive machine. not liking drive experience.

My California Ocean drives same than luxury car is quiet and smoothly moves.

Gc680 is gear 6 already and only travel 48km/h. This tells weak motor need many gear make move such bulk and why is make such terrible noisey. Even Ocean more powerful and modern automatic.

Gc680 better would be 3.5L v6 make smooth and nice progress and better modern automatic - not old toyota mechanism Vw put.

Best like is can standing up all camper and own toilet. Best like Ocean - everything!.

i am gc680 4m and can tell to you - is very very noisy drive machine. not liking drive experience.

Gc680 is gear 6 already and only travel 48km/h. This tells weak motor need many gear make move such bulk and why is make such terrible noisey. Even Ocean more powerful and modern automatic.

Is yours a manual gearbox?

I would expect more noise on a 4motion.

Ours was 2 wheel drive with the 8 speed automatic gearbox. That gearbox suited the van with a very low 1st gear ideal for manoeuvring at slow speed & a relatively high 8th gear for cruising.

Is yours a manual gearbox?

I would expect more noise on a 4motion.

Ours was 2 wheel drive with the 8 speed automatic gearbox. That gearbox suited the van with a very low 1st gear ideal for manoeuvring at slow speed & a relatively high 8th gear for cruising.
is Automatic drive. All is noisy, door and cupboard not only drive system noise. Ocean wonderful quiet - same than luxury car.

Back