Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand Cali, no spare wheel?

HugoFar

HugoFar

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Our local New Zealand VW dealer has only just got in a Grand California 600 as a demonstrator. So I went and had a look. I was pretty surprised to find that although all the NZ spec ones are 4Motion, there is no spare wheel in standard specs,or even options! Do other countries/markets have a spare wheel? Seems like an important item to have.

Hi Hugo

It’s an option listed in the UK but they didn’t seem to want to fit it when I asked early on and quoted £600 for dealer fit. They got very grumpy when I asked for part numbers at the selling dealer and said it would add 100kg to the weight. I’ve bought the kit off eBay and will take some photos when I fit.

Found it by searching for man tge crafter wheel carrier on eBay. Also needs some bolts. Full details of fitting are on Caliboard.de (German forum, translates automatically on google chrome).

The wheel carrier mechanism looks like this

af15be027fa2aa27c2356aa82b808186.jpg

It will add 30kg or so inc. wheel but seems like a sensible weight addition if you can spare some load capacity. I’ll post some pictures when I fit it, van not arrived yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hugo
we wanted to add the spare wheel to our 680 order but we needed to also add all weather tyres which I couldn’t really justify the cost of. Not sure whether I made the right call on this or not ?

Hi Hugo
we wanted to add the spare wheel to our 680 order but we needed to also add all weather tyres which I couldn’t really justify the cost of. Not sure whether I made the right call on this or not ?
If you total up the cost of the carrier plus a new spare wheel/tyre, 17", the cost isn't too bad in reality.
If a 16" wheel, with suitable tyre circumference, can fit then DIY spare would be £150 ish.
Can't see why all-season tyres are required unless they are normal Van spec which are usually all-season.
Didn't see an option for a matching Alloy spare wheel.

Thank you for explanation

Hi Hugo
by adding the AWT it cost £218 on the configurator

I don’t recall seeing AWT when I ordered, would have paid for this upgrade living in north Scotland

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t recall seeing AWT when I ordered, would have paid for this upgrade living in north Scotland

When did you order, I ordered last week sure it was right at the top of the configurator.

It was in August so could well have changed

It was in August so could well have changed

I originally purchased mine separately on original order and was fitted via the dealer before handover in July. Crafter parts, Wheel/Tyre, Cradle, lowering harness and jack accessories.

All weather tyres changes the 17 inch alloys to 16 steel on the confgurator,best part of £500 for steel wheels and 16 inch too.
Is it because VW cant match 16 inch and the all weather tyre diameter with the 17inch alloy and summer tyre diameter.
Going back to the other thread you could fit your own 16inch spare wheel but you might end up with diffrent sizes.

All weather tyres changes the 17 inch alloys to 16 steel on the confgurator,best part of £500 for steel wheels and 16 inch too.
Is it because VW cant match 16 inch and the all weather tyre diameter with the 17inch alloy and summer tyre diameter.
Going back to the other thread you could fit your own 16inch spare wheel but you might end up with diffrent sizes.
A 16" with correct sized tyre has the same overall dimensions as a 17" with correct tyre so could be used as a spaces aver, limited speed and distance to get you out of trouble.

235/60/17 all season tyres come in the 4x4 SUV Range with with a 106 load rating which gives 1,900kgs per axle.
Best direct tyre swap would be a Michelin Agilis Crossclimate with 117 load rating .

Currently Halfords have a Black Friday 15% off a set of 4 on all tyres.

For a look at tyres available look here

Hi Hugo

It’s an option listed in the UK but they didn’t seem to want to fit it when I asked early on and quoted £600 for dealer fit. They got very grumpy when I asked for part numbers at the selling dealer and said it would add 100kg to the weight. I’ve bought the kit off eBay and will take some photos when I fit.

Found it by searching for man tge crafter wheel carrier on eBay. Also needs some bolts. Full details of fitting are on Caliboard.de (German forum, translates automatically on google chrome).

The wheel carrier mechanism looks like this

af15be027fa2aa27c2356aa82b808186.jpg

It will add 30kg or so inc. wheel but seems like a sensible weight addition if you can spare some load capacity. I’ll post some pictures when I fit it, van not arrived yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, just wondering how it went fitting this to your van - any problems or issues? We’re thinking about ordering the parts and fitting one to our 2022 GC680 here in New Zealand to enable us to carry a16 inch steel rim and suitable size tyre as a spare.

Hello @Sven Ole,

How did you mange to get the spare wheel fixed in the GC 600?

I can't see a "basket" or any other holders.

Regards,
Eberhard

There’s a bracket above the wheel with a cable holding the wheel & a winch for the cable fitted to the rear of the vans crossmember.

6032B5DA-5384-42A4-8D07-696740555403.jpeg

C1ECE934-3677-4FDB-8B9A-CD08C51ADB7C.jpeg

Last edited:
I just found a picture of the bumper / back door locks:

1673696585828.png

It seems there is no, how should I say, opening / hatch which I believe it is needed to fix the wire to lower the spare wheel. This is at least one reason why VW dealer said that they can't install a spare wheel holder.

Is that correct?

Regards,
Eberhard

I just found a picture of the bumper / back door locks:

View attachment 104055

It seems there is no, how should I say, opening / hatch which I believe it is needed to fix the wire to lower the spare wheel. This is at least one reason why VW dealer said that they can't install a spare wheel holder.

Is that correct?

Regards,
Eberhard
Is that apart from the factory fitted one that I can clearly see in your photo? try 1/4 of the way in from the right. Not on the top of the bumper, on the black plastic thats covered by the doors when they are shut.

Hello @andyinluton ,

I forgot that one of the plastic covers is removabel:

1673787487167.png

I had a look under the bumper, but I couldn't see if there was another opening to bring the wire to the spare wheel holder. But I might have overlooked this.

Regards,
Eberhard

It's on the side on the vertical axis.a big round painted grommet.

This thread was super helpful! We bought our GC used, and were wondering if there was a spare tire and if so where it would be....and lucky for us we do have a spare already mounted underneath!

Where typically would the jack and tool kit be? Anyone have pictures and places to look? Not sure if we have or need to order.

Thanks in advance!

Back