Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC600 water leak?

D

DAW

VIP Member
I’m a newbie so this could be me rather than the van.
Tried filling the fresh water tank today and noticed water leaking from under the middle of the van. Obviously not the fresh water drain plug or the waste water drain as the leak was right under the middle of the van
I wondered if it was an open valve on the heating system but all valves seemed to be closed. Only thing I wasn’t sure of was valve under the bench seat - the twist value with the button on side. Button didn’t seem to reset when the valve was closed.
Any advice?
TIA

sounds like the frost/freeze protection on the Truma boiler.

you can turn the blue tap on top to trip/close and then push the blue button on the side back in. If, like I was, you are baffled as to why the button won’t stay in… it’s still too cold. I ran the heating (not water obviously) for twenty minutes and system gets warm enough to reset.

I have a couple of Govee Bluetooth thermometers - one in the fridge and one near the rear seat. I think the Truma trips around 5 degrees (C), which seems a little over sensitive! Then you can’t reset it until around 8 degrees which is annoying as you watch your fresh water drain away!

sounds like the frost/freeze protection on the Truma boiler.

you can turn the blue tap on top to trip/close and then push the blue button on the side back in. If, like I was, you are baffled as to why the button won’t stay in… it’s still too cold. I ran the heating (not water obviously) for twenty minutes and system gets warm enough to reset.

I have a couple of Govee Bluetooth thermometers - one in the fridge and one near the rear seat. I think the Truma trips around 5 degrees (C), which seems a little over sensitive! Then you can’t reset it until around 8 degrees which is annoying as you watch your fresh water drain away!
Thanks for your help g100. I did exactly as you said and sure enough the blue button stayed in and and water is no longer emptying out! Inside the van was just over 8 degrees yesterday so it probably hadn't reached the level to allow the reset.
Got another problem now - side step won't slide out more than a couple of inches - think that's one for the garage to sort.

Seems that most GC problems are from third-party knowledge. Learn hard to keep it running properly! Thanks again to all the experienced members to help newbies like myself.
and again VW should make proper instructions as they are the responsible party though.

The side step is a bit of a daft design - road dirt so easily ingresses in and it doesnt take much down the sides of the step to stop it extending/retracting.

I extend the step (turn on camping mode) - gentle pulling to assist - and then pressure wash the step making sure you clean the step tread on top and the sides of the step.

Dry as best you can and then apply plenty of Silicon Spray - better still use a PTFE Spray Lubricant (I think I have GT85 branded spray and its fine). Especially down the sides.

You may need to do this a couple of times per year.

My step has never worked correctly.
From not working at all to a mind of its own.
Auto and camping mode is a bit of a lottery.
Have to constantly use the red isolater and at it's worst the blue connector as well.

The German forum say's we are due another upgrade.
Van new October 2022

Last edited:
We did have an issue with the auto/camping mode. We found that as soon as you hookup to EHU the step goes into camping mode on the door next being opened. If we disconnected from EHU and closed the door, the step would not always retract and getting it to retract could be difficult as camping mode would be stuck "on".

As part of our 'packing up routine' we now turn off camping mode before unplugging the EHU and this seems to fix the odd step behaviour.

The "controller" does seem to have a fair few software glitches. The heating turning off randomly, is another one that has caught us out.

Back