Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gear box problem

K

kazza

Hi

We’re at the beginning of trip to Norway- left Kristiansand yesterday - gear box playing up today ie stuck in 1st gear!!! Any advice? We are insured but any info on this gratefully received. 2 litre engine 180 bhp dual clutch gearbox DSG automatic

Can you flick into manual? If so will it go up and down the gears? Is it the same when in both D and S modes?

Hi

We’re at the beginning of trip to Norway- left Kristiansand yesterday - gear box playing up today ie stuck in 1st gear!!! Any advice? We are insured but any info on this gratefully received. 2 litre engine 180 bhp dual clutch gearbox DSG automatic[/QUOTE
Could be an electronic controller fault, or, If the box has done about 30k miles +, ... you could try a gearbox oil change and filter if it has a replaceable one.

Sounds like there is a fuse blown somewhere. Have a look at the ones in the engine compartment in the battery compartment and the ones under the dash board. One of those might have blown cutting the power to the DSG computer.

In theory you can see if they are blown, but in practice this is difficult.
There should be a plastic fuse puller in the dashboard fuse box to help pull them out.

Good luck.

Alan

Sounds like there is a fuse blown somewhere. Have a look at the ones in the engine compartment in the battery compartment and the ones under the dash board. One of those might have blown cutting the power to the DSG computer.

In theory you can see if they are blown, but in practice this is difficult.
There should be a plastic fuse puller in the dashboard fuse box to help pull them out.

Good luck.

Alan
Thankyou Alan we’ll have a look

Thankyou Alan we’ll have a look
We’ve had diagnosis from vw dealer ? Electronic control of triptonic gear change (I think - as Norwegian not a language we speak)
27,000 kroner for replacement part!!! 3 - 5 days for repair . Hey ho !!

Sounds like the same thing has just happened to my son's 64 reg T5.1 180 Sportline DSG.:Nailbiting He was on his way to Devon for the weekend.

It's been taken to some VW dealer in Bristol who said it's probably an electrical fault. They can't look at it until Monday. :(

Beginning to think I wasn't so stupid changing mine recently!

20180622_161526.jpg

Sounds like the same thing has just happened to my son's 64 reg T5.1 180 Sportline DSG.:Nailbiting He was on his way to Devon for the weekend.

It's been taken to some VW dealer in Bristol who said it's probably an electrical fault. They can't look at it until Monday. :(

Beginning to think I wasn't so stupid changing mine recently!

View attachment 34634

That will probably be Heritage VW round the back of Temple Meads station if it's gone to a dealer.

Are they decent dealers?

I bought mine from their because of the relationship with my dealer. Mine has had no problems Jan 2017 so therefore only been in for a simple recall and a new Internal B Pilar to correct door blind alignment.
Nothing is ever guaranteed but they are a big dealer and have the expertise.

Mike

I've had no problems there. They did the seal in the oil cooler when it failed and put oil into the water cooling system. It was fixed in ½ a day. Is your son still in Bristol or is he sorted out?

Thanks for the info Mike & Simon :thumb

Chris and his girlfriend were on their way to some techno convention in Devon. Fortunately they managed to get a lift off someone who must have been going there and left the van in Bristol.

The van has only done about 35k and was due to be changed. Of course, the warranty has run out!

We're hoping that if it's a major problem VW will show some goodwill. After all, if it fails that quickly it's not really fit for purpose. :(

After all, if it fails that quickly it's not really fit for purpose. :(
I would question using the term “ not fit for purpose “ for a unit that is obviously faulty. There are many vehicles with the DSG that have done very high milage with no problems. Mine has done 67k Miles and is also a 64 plate.
A faulty unit - Yes. Not fit for purpose - No.

Update on this, it was a fault in the wiring loom, there was a break in one of the wires. Apparently the front of the van had to be removed to access it. Cost £500 + VAT. Plus lost work day and train fare to Bristol etc.

Van has only done 38k, so I don’t think this should be expected. BMW have just had a hammering due to a fault on their cars losing drive, this is just as bad and a just as much a safety issue. But thankful it wasn’t anything worse .....

Sorry to read this, but at least they found it and it was straightforward to repair.

Has he asked VWCC if there can be any goodwill on this? It's not a fault that has appeared on here before, as far as I'm aware.

They might offer to contribute something, especially if he mentions that they are replacing the van.

Sorry to read this, but at least they found it and it was straightforward to repair.

Has he asked VWCC if there can be any goodwill on this? It's not a fault that has appeared on here before, as far as I'm aware.

They might offer to contribute something, especially if he mentions that they are replacing the van.
No, he just paid! The youngsters of today! ;)

I will draft a letter to them and see if we can get some contribution. :thumb

By the way - we’re back from our Norway trip now - continued in hire car after our gearbox problem

Thanks for all advice - vw dealer in Egersund replaced mecatronic unit (took 10 days as had to get part from Germany)

However we enjoyed ourselves in a beautiful country and came home a little wiser (who knew how big a mecatronic unit was (probably all of you!!)

Thanks again all

Kazza