Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gel batteries and the Factory fitted hook up charger

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Does anyone know what the max charge voltage delivered by the on board charger on the beach is? I am trying to see if it is suitable for Gel batteries to replace the leisure battery. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with Gel leisure batteries in their Cali?

16A 14,4v As you currently have a VW split charge relay, all your batteries should be AGM.

I am replacing the split charge with DC-DC, replacing the original (5 year old) AGM battery and adding a second battery under the driver's seat. Just can't decide whether to go for AGM or Gel. They will be charged by hook up and Victron MPPT and Victron Orion DC-DC so my only worry is regarding max charging volts is for the hook up charger as I can't find a spec for that anywhere. If I understand your reply @Loz then i;m ok as the max output from the hook up charger is 14.4 (which is the max for Gel I think). Is that correct?

GEL and AGM batteries still have lead and sulfuric acid as their main constituents so I imagine the charge voltages and currents remain the same as wet lead-acid batteries?

Alan