Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

German Efficiency

skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
After 8 weeks on the road we thought we'd seen and conquered the worst the continent could throw at us - communal showers in Slovakia, a scarily steep ferry ramp in Lithuania and evil biting flies in Poland.

But, on the safe and comfortable roads of southern Denmark and into Germany our complacency was shattered by the the flashing dashboard lights of doom.

We pulled off the motorway and stopped under a dark bridge to consider our options. Multiple restarts and curses failed to return the dashboard to normal, so we resorted to the manual, although we knew already what it would say. 'Your vehicle is too poorly to be used and needs the attention of a skilled VW operative. Oh and don't even think of pretending you haven't seen the lights and just carrying on.'

The immediate future didn't look promising - trying to find accommodation in the middle of no-where for two people, two dogs, and a teenager, and then turning-up at Hamburg airport's EasyJet counter with approx. 84 items of luggage to check-in. (We overpacked). It was already past midday.

Then a couple of lightbulb moments. Firstly we remembered that we were in Germany, where every second person works for VW, and secondly, the RNS510 we wished we hadn't ordered does have one use - a database of VW dealerships.

We looked at this and saw one so close that we nearly missed it. The logo was almost obscured by the dot representing us. it was a car dealership, but what the hell. We'd risk driving the 2.2 km to get there.

It didn't start well, the first person we found there spoke no English, but we had noticed a new Cali outside the workshop so retained some hope. Then Eckhard appeared, laptop in hand, and with faltering English several levels above our very faltering German, he explained that he was going to consult the vehicle's brain.

Afterwards he frowned and uttered the dreaded words 'EGR temperature sensor.' He ran off with the V5 and after a while came back to explain that he needed to let the engine cool before they could inspect it, as it could be one of two kinds of sensor, then he'd have to order it in.

He mentioned 'late afternoon' by which we assumed he might be able to persuade a skilled VW technician to give the van a passing glance by late afternoon. He was very sorry indeed that there would be such a delay.

Eckhard took-on a puzzled air when we asked him about local hotels, and eventually the cogs in our brains turned enough times to make the penny drop. The late afternoon Eckhard was talking about was indeed the same day, i.e. only about four hours away, but Eckhard wasn't talking about looking at the van by then, he was talking about having the part identified, ordered, delivered and fitted!

So we passed the afternoon wandering the streets of Tarp, trying not to eat too many marzipan doughnuts, and sure enough later that day we were away. Almost unbelievable, to an English person used to English dealerships. Contrast this to Cheltenham VW, from whom we bought a new Golf a couple of years ago. Similar dashboard warnings manifested themselves, VW Assistance said it needed a dealer, but Cheltenham VW said they couldn't even look at it for two weeks! The car they sold us!

All in all, Eckhard and his very speedy team at Autohaus Tarp are very highly recommended by a very impressed English family with a fully functioning van.

What a wonderful story!

However, it can happen in the UK.

10.30am: Marooned on a tiny road in the Scottish Highlands, two near side tyres shredded and goodness knows what damage to the vehicle. I had to walk close on a mile just to get a phone signal but finally got a crackling connection through to VW Assist. 10 minutes later a call back from somewhere in Ullapool. Checking size and dimensions of tyres, confirming also that they were winter tyres.

I explained through chattering teeth (February and snowing) that I was a mile from my vehicle and would not be able to remain in phone-contact in perpetuity. 5 more minutes and Jim came on. Jim wanted to know precisely where my vehicle was. Jim was going to have to drive a low loader on mountain roads best suited for a SWB land rover. Jim assured me, from 20 miles away, he will find me, "now madam, get back to your vehicle and keep warm".

I went back to Albert to make arrangements to stop the month until the spring came and the glaciers receded. An hour later a clanking, bashing, scraping sound alerted me to the arrival of Jim. How on Earth he got up there I will never know but having come the hard way up to make sure of finding me at least the way back was less hair-raising.

We got to Ullapool, just 10 minutes earlier two tyres had arrived from Inverness, and twenty minutes earlier a safety check list had arrived by email from VW. 2.30 PM that afternoon I was on my way, two new tyres and a safety inspection check list ticked off.

What a wonderful story!

However, it can happen in the UK.

10.30am: Marooned on a tiny road in the Scottish Highlands, two near side tyres shredded and goodness knows what damage to the vehicle. I had to walk close on a mile just to get a phone signal but finally got a crackling connection through to VW Assist. 10 minutes later a call back from somewhere in Ullapool. Checking size and dimensions of tyres, confirming also that they were winter tyres.

I explained through chattering teeth (February and snowing) that I was a mile from my vehicle and would not be able to remain in phone-contact in perpetuity. 5 more minutes and Jim came on. Jim wanted to know precisely where my vehicle was. Jim was going to have to drive a low loader on mountain roads best suited for a SWB land rover. Jim assured me, from 20 miles away, he will find me, "now madam, get back to your vehicle and keep warm".

I went back to Albert to make arrangements to stop the month until the spring came and the glaciers receded. An hour later a clanking, bashing, scraping sound alerted me to the arrival of Jim. How on Earth he got up there I will never know but having come the hard way up to make sure of finding me at least the way back was less hair-raising.

We got to Ullapool, just 10 minutes earlier two tyres had arrived from Inverness, and twenty minutes earlier a safety check list had arrived by email from VW. 2.30 PM that afternoon I was on my way, two new tyres and a safety inspection check list ticked off.
Wow! Well done to both Eckhard from Tarp and Jim from Ullapool! Maybe a bonus scheme is needed for VW where customers can vote in the best employees who go the extra mile (sometimes literally!). To be fair, Heritage in Bristol have been good so far with the van, I'm just scarred by experience of Inchcape VW in Cheltenham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even reading these stories fills me with dread. I hope I never suffer anything similar!
They also told us about a recall on the van! But that can be sorted later apparently... If it's any consolation we've had our van for over three years now and this is the first issue we've had, and even then it was a relatively minor one.

Even reading these stories fills me with dread. I hope I never suffer anything similar!

and mine was self-inflicted. Trying to avoid a suicidal sheep that jumped into the road in front of me.... the road was only as wide as the van and my choices were hurtle over a cliff edge on one side or crash into a pile of rocks on the other side .... or opt for Lamb for dinner but I wasn't that hungry :sad

Nice ending to a nasty accident perhaps we should have a list of members who would be willing to help anyone in there area when help is needed if you find yourself in Hastings I will always help mind you a nice young lady bearing a leg of lamb would get special treatment

Despite many stories of Dealerships being useless and downright unhelpful in the extreme there are the odd few who go above and beyond to provide an excellent service.
On mine the Engine light came on at 900 miles from new. VW assistance arrived promptly. Could find nothing wrong and reset light. Occurred again within 48hrs. Again attended. Code indicating EGR found, but safe to drive as valve closed. This was 5 days before Xmas. Due to camp at Crystal Palace and lots of shows booked for the holiday period. Local Dealerships refused to look at Cali until mid January. Phoned South Hereford where we bought vehicle from. Drove there with fingers crossed. Confirmed EGR faulty. Courtesy car. Had to get EGR from Germany . It's a 180 so major job to replace. 24 hrs late fixed and drove back to pick up 3 days before our trip. Nice bottle of Champagne, Chocolates and £250 gift voucher for inconvenience.
Restored my faith and confirmed my decision to avoid the local, unhelpful Dealerships.

That was good service WG from your local dealer who went out of there way to help , but there seems to be more and more dealers who are less helpful. VW offer Warranty nationwide if you breakdown we should insist that on breaking down we avoid these dealers ( Time to name and shame ) and asked to be relayed to a dealer more helpful or even ones preferred dealership.

When in your case you needed help every dealer should get someone to look at it , the plugging in a machine to prove a fault takes no more than 10 mins , if it was confirmed you could drive it home that's fine at least you would telephone ahead or get the dealer to call your dealer and confirm his findings enabling your dealer to order the part required cutting down your down time by one day

Also they should have provided a loan vehicle if they cant they should have arranged a hire car at there or VW cost all reclaimable under there warranty claim they submit to VW don't for one min think the dealer is out of pocket on any claim

Perhaps we should rate our dealers under a 5 star rating

[QUOTE="When in your case you needed help every dealer should get someone to look at it , the plugging in a machine to prove a fault takes no more than 10 mins [/QUOTE]

This is what irritated us about Cheltenham VW. They wouldn't even give me 10 mins. to let me know the scope of the issue - and I tried hard, speaking to a few people there. Blade VW in Gloucester would look at it next day. Guess who gets our business and guess who will never see us again? It's not rocket science!

It really only takes one plug in to find a fault
The dealer who would not help you 5 days before Christmas saying they could not help till mid January is total rubbish
Not sure if you use VW breakdown service ( AA) if it was me I would have insisted being taken to my local dealer even if 200 miles if asked why just say they cant /wont even look at it for 20 days and I'm stuck

Go to there web site and write a review they have a few good and a few bad

It really only takes one plug in to find a fault
The dealer who would not help you 5 days before Christmas saying they could not help till mid January is total rubbish
Not sure if you use VW breakdown service ( AA) if it was me I would have insisted being taken to my local dealer even if 200 miles if asked why just say they cant /wont even look at it for 20 days and I'm stuck

Go to there web site and write a review they have a few good and a few bad
The Dealership I used, South Hereford checked with VWAssist that it was safe to drive to them, otherwise it would have been transported.
South Hereford :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb
Sinclair Cardiff :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Many will have read this but as it is in a similar positive vein I'll repeat it.
About 7 weeks ago we were within 30 minutes of leaving Bristol and driving to Portsmouth to catch the overnight ferry to St Malo.
About 300 yes from home, on a steep hill there was a loud bang.....and then no drive!
Once I'd parked I rang VW breakdown to report the incident and the Terry the service manager at VW Heritage vans in Bristol.
We discussed the event and he took a punt on an off side drive shaft which he ordered for overnight delivery.
It was a Friday, I held little hope of a positive ending.
We were towed back to the garage and.......by 11am the next day we were on our way.
Amazing service.

Despite many stories of Dealerships being useless and downright unhelpful in the extreme there are the odd few who go above and beyond to provide an excellent service.
On mine the Engine light came on at 900 miles from new. VW assistance arrived promptly. Could find nothing wrong and reset light. Occurred again within 48hrs. Again attended. Code indicating EGR found, but safe to drive as valve closed. This was 5 days before Xmas. Due to camp at Crystal Palace and lots of shows booked for the holiday period. Local Dealerships refused to look at Cali until mid January. Phoned South Hereford where we bought vehicle from. Drove there with fingers crossed. Confirmed EGR faulty. Courtesy car. Had to get EGR from Germany . It's a 180 so major job to replace. 24 hrs late fixed and drove back to pick up 3 days before our trip. Nice bottle of Champagne, Chocolates and £250 gift voucher for inconvenience.
Restored my faith and confirmed my decision to avoid the local, unhelpful Dealerships.

My Dec 14 180 Kombi did the same thing at 1500 miles, I was without the Kombi for more than 2 weeks. The best Vw could supply was a Skoda Rapide then a Touareg neither any good as a gas van! Luckily Bognor Motors stepped in with a 4 Motion Kombi came in handy in January.

I have now sold it as I wanted out of the 180 engine. My 2011 180 Caravelle exec that I sold to my bro in law has also had egr issues and oil usage issues and has had to be sold before major expense, it only had 35k miles on it. Fully serviced by Vw cambelt and dsg fluid ect.

Cali needs service BUT I'm still contemplating using VW dealership for servicing now warranty up ! last service by South Hereford garage BUT they are ownership changed and not sure of same service now !
Cardiff I went twice when under warranty and no problems especially on the occasion when warranty had one day left and Cali was making unusual engine noise,they couldn't do enough to check her over at a 'drop of a hat' same day as phone call ! so might be Cardiff this time.
A forum on here ( unless I missed it ) would be great to name all good VW dealerships and one to be 'aware of some ' ?
Good the bad and the ugly ?

Cali needs service BUT I'm still contemplating using VW dealership for servicing now warranty up ! last service by South Hereford garage BUT they are ownership changed and not sure of same service now !
Cardiff I went twice when under warranty and no problems especially on the occasion when warranty had one day left and Cali was making unusual engine noise,they couldn't do enough to check her over at a 'drop of a hat' same day as phone call ! so might be Cardiff this time.
A forum on here ( unless I missed it ) would be great to name all good VW dealerships and one to be 'aware of some ' ?
Good the bad and the ugly ?
You missed it - Dealership Reviews.

Won't be visiting Cardiff, back to South Hereford.

After 8 weeks on the road we thought we'd seen and conquered the worst the continent could throw at us - communal showers in Slovakia, a scarily steep ferry ramp in Lithuania and evil biting flies in Poland.

But, on the safe and comfortable roads of southern Denmark and into Germany our complacency was shattered by the the flashing dashboard lights of doom.

We pulled off the motorway and stopped under a dark bridge to consider our options. Multiple restarts and curses failed to return the dashboard to normal, so we resorted to the manual, although we knew already what it would say. 'Your vehicle is too poorly to be used and needs the attention of a skilled VW operative. Oh and don't even think of pretending you haven't seen the lights and just carrying on.'

The immediate future didn't look promising - trying to find accommodation in the middle of no-where for two people, two dogs, and a teenager, and then turning-up at Hamburg airport's EasyJet counter with approx. 84 items of luggage to check-in. (We overpacked). It was already past midday.

Then a couple of lightbulb moments. Firstly we remembered that we were in Germany, where every second person works for VW, and secondly, the RNS510 we wished we hadn't ordered does have one use - a database of VW dealerships.

We looked at this and saw one so close that we nearly missed it. The logo was almost obscured by the dot representing us. it was a car dealership, but what the hell. We'd risk driving the 2.2 km to get there.

It didn't start well, the first person we found there spoke no English, but we had noticed a new Cali outside the workshop so retained some hope. Then Eckhard appeared, laptop in hand, and with faltering English several levels above our very faltering German, he explained that he was going to consult the vehicle's brain.

Afterwards he frowned and uttered the dreaded words 'EGR temperature sensor.' He ran off with the V5 and after a while came back to explain that he needed to let the engine cool before they could inspect it, as it could be one of two kinds of sensor, then he'd have to order it in.

He mentioned 'late afternoon' by which we assumed he might be able to persuade a skilled VW technician to give the van a passing glance by late afternoon. He was very sorry indeed that there would be such a delay.

Eckhard took-on a puzzled air when we asked him about local hotels, and eventually the cogs in our brains turned enough times to make the penny drop. The late afternoon Eckhard was talking about was indeed the same day, i.e. only about four hours away, but Eckhard wasn't talking about looking at the van by then, he was talking about having the part identified, ordered, delivered and fitted!

So we passed the afternoon wandering the streets of Tarp, trying not to eat too many marzipan doughnuts, and sure enough later that day we were away. Almost unbelievable, to an English person used to English dealerships. Contrast this to Cheltenham VW, from whom we bought a new Golf a couple of years ago. Similar dashboard warnings manifested themselves, VW Assistance said it needed a dealer, but Cheltenham VW said they couldn't even look at it for two weeks! The car they sold us!

All in all, Eckhard and his very speedy team at Autohaus Tarp are very highly recommended by a very impressed English family with a fully functioning van.
Simply wow

@skinnywhippet
just sent your post to Mr. Eckhard Röh and his managing director Mr. Carstens from Autohaus Tarp. I hope, they will enjoy it.
Phew now we're pleased we googled the correct spelling of Eckhard's name

Back