Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting an awning rail fitted to my T5 with pop-top

Lorna

Lorna

Vehicle
N/A
Hi All,

I wonder if someone can help me please?

I have a 2014 T5 (not Cali) with a pop-top roof. I need to get an awning rail fitted as the magnetic strip I am using isn't that strong due to the lack of space because of the pop-top roof.

I live in Fleet Hampshire and as trying to look for a company that will fit a rail that isn't going to cost an arm and leg, I have found a company in shropshire but would prefer someone locally, any suggestions or companies/people you have used please?

TIA

Lorna

Hi Lorna - you will find lots more on this on 'the other channel' - do a search for "VWT4forum". Your van will be referred to as a T5.1 if you're doing site searches.

I managed to get a Fiamma awning onto my previous T5 conversion with a pop-top, but it involved lots of Rivnuts and Sikaflex (by a pro outfit in Yorkshire). It all depends on whether your poptop hinges are in the roof channel / gutter, if not then you'll be able to fit a multirail (about £100 ish) into that top groove on your van.

Lorna, try Just Kampers, I did the same with my previous van, a Caravelle. If you ring them they are very knowledgeable and should be able to tell you exactly what your options are. Do you have a gutter rail on your roof, if so you may be able to thread the Kador strip directly into it otherwise there are various rails you can buy to attach. Steer clear of the suckers, they are difficult to stick on and inclined to pop off in the night.

Lorna, try Just Kampers, I did the same with my previous van, a Caravelle. If you ring them they are very knowledgeable and should be able to tell you exactly what your options are. Do you have a gutter rail on your roof, if so you may be able to thread the Kador strip directly into it otherwise there are various rails you can buy to attach. Steer clear of the suckers, they are difficult to stick on and inclined to pop off in the night.
In fact if you discover a J29518 is what you need, I have one to sell. Are you going to the meet next weekend?

Hi Pinkietee,

I don't have a rail, my van also has a pop top roof so I would need someone to supply and fit the rail. Spoke to Just Kampers they can't help me and have advised to find a conversion company near me, pretty unhelpful actually.

Will you rail fit my van? Do you have any pics at all? Here is s picture of mind so you can see.

Thank you

Lorna :)

Jonny @SlidePods discussed that with me that these rails can be retrofitted. I don't know if he can fit them at the workshop but he may know someone who can if he can't.

Pop the question on vwt4 - someone local on there will be happy to help for a beer.

Hi Lorna, sorry its taken me so long. Obviously it depends who you speak to at Just Kampers, perhaps I was lucky. The rail I have would not be suitable for your van, it screws into holes that are already in the roof which you clearly don't have. Good luck with finding a solution, there are some useful suggestions here.