Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting fedup with VW service

C

Cali1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Please Select
Hi Jessecampervan,thanks for the advice, do you have any contact e mail I could write to in Germany?
thanks

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Trouble is, unless you are lucky there’s no competition. I assume that VW have to agree geographical catchments with each dealership so unless you are prepared to travel you’re stuck.
Just catching up with this thread. Sounds like Sp0_0k had a particularly bad experience. However I'm afraid I've just stopped using any main dealers for any cars(/vans) nowadays. They've progressively built bigger and bling-ier showrooms (now with special 'reveal rooms' for new car handovers, for f***'s sake) and they've progressively jacked up the servicing charges to cover their over-inflated overheads.

I now take our van to a VW independent, who seems to do a completely satisfactory job for half what the main dealers want to charge. Last week I had a call from a dealership, a "courtesy call" (right) to say one of our cars was coming up for MOT and would I like to book it in... no not at your prices my good man... well sir we'll price match any independent's servicing costs. Meaning: we'll happily rip you off with stratospheric prices UNLESS you negotiate, in which case we'll do it for half the rate. I guess that business model works for them, but it doesn't for me.

Last week in a weak moment - you know, the excitement of the election and everything - I didn't deter Mrs VD from booking her Audi in for its first service with the dealer. Ended up £366.42 for an oil change and "inspection service" (ie shine a torch round under the car). And on her way out she had the service department agent pestering her for a 5-star review "so it will still be me here next time you come in". Sorry mate but...

jessecampervan

jessecampervan

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi Jessecampervan,thanks for the advice, do you have any contact e mail I could write to in Germany?
thanks
Was quite remarkable how things moved on once we made contact with HQ.
If you ping me an email I’ll send over the letter that we received from them. fancett@me.com
Regards
Kevin

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just catching up with this thread. Sounds like Sp0_0k had a particularly bad experience. However I'm afraid I've just stopped using any main dealers for any cars(/vans) nowadays. They've progressively built bigger and bling-ier showrooms (now with special 'reveal rooms' for new car handovers, for f***'s sake) and they've progressively jacked up the servicing charges to cover their over-inflated overheads.

I now take our van to a VW independent, who seems to do a completely satisfactory job for half what the main dealers want to charge. Last week I had a call from a dealership, a "courtesy call" (right) to say one of our cars was coming up for MOT and would I like to book it in... no not at your prices my good man... well sir we'll price match any independent's servicing costs. Meaning: we'll happily rip you off with stratospheric prices UNLESS you negotiate, in which case we'll do it for half the rate. I guess that business model works for them, but it doesn't for me.

Last week in a weak moment - you know, the excitement of the election and everything - I didn't deter Mrs VD from booking her Audi in for its first service with the dealer. Ended up £366.42 for an oil change and "inspection service" (ie shine a torch round under the car). And on her way out she had the service department agent pestering her for a 5-star review "so it will still be me here next time you come in". Sorry mate but...
I generally use the dealer servicing if still within warranty, especially as I have usually bought a cheap service package. However Mrs Bs Skoda is now five years old and now out of warranty. For any vehicle like this I've always done the basic servicing myself leaving things like Cam belt change and DSG servicing to the main dealer. Having priced these things up and shopped around I have discovered that their fixed price menu servicing can often be quite competitive. There was once a time when I would have attempted that sort if thing myself but not anymore. These days I just can't be *@÷$€d.

Unfortunately, the manufactures now seem to be doing every thing they can to ensure you take your car to their dealerships for even basic servicing. Not giving owners a basic servicing booklet with detailed servicing schedule now seems commonplace. They prefer electronic service schedules which they own and protect. Two main agent Skoda dealerships even refused to tell me how to reset the service indicator!

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
In reply to Velma's with VW dealers building reveal showrooms for new car handover.
I would like one of those, Cali owners are New car owners!
Not really satisfactory to have a 2hr Cali handover either outside in the rain or a spare workshop bay when you spent all your time looking making sure your kids come to no harm.
Just a thought.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
In reply to Velma's with VW dealers building reveal showrooms for new car handover.
I would like one of those, Cali owners are New car owners!
Not really satisfactory to have a 2hr Cali handover either outside in the rain or a spare workshop bay when you spent all your time looking making sure your kids come to no harm.
Just a thought.
The handover outside in the rain for our new California was far superior to the handover in the reveal room for our new Skoda.

Wild Bob

Wild Bob

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So sad at the moment. I just collected the VAN from the service.
The elbow holder was broken. No idea how to prove now that it was fine. All the new carpets are dirty as crap.
Charged for unimaginable nonsense like windshield fluid, coolant, diesel, fuel cleaning fluid and other nonsense like charging the battery. I have checked all those and refilled before giving the vehicle to service.
I am done with official VW services.
That disappointing, when my Kombi went in for it's first service I told them it's not a commercial vehicle it's my pride & joy. Now I have a new Cali I will be nervous when it's due for a service or any other work.