Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting Ready for Winter

John

John

VIP Member
Original post smgcowfold

Thought I would put this together for people who are going to drive their California's through winter, and for those who are going to store them. Just a list of things to check to make sure that hopefully you don't get let down (I would say that most are obvious):

1. Make sure that engine oil level is correct and that you have a top up bottle with you
2. Check that windscreen washer fluid has a suitable anti-freeze content
3. Make sure that your tyres are in good condition - I would recommend using winter tyres as they are not just for snow, but have a softer compound which is suitable for temperatures of 7 degrees and lower.
4. Consider having a pair of snow socks (much easier to fit than snow chains and also a lot lighter!)
5. Be careful with opening doors (and your roof!) after a heavy frost. Last year we had a number of people who forced open front doors and it pulled the rubber trim off that is on the wheel arch section of the door.
6. If you are storing your California over winter, then consider disconnecting the battery(ies).
7. If you have left the battery connected and are storing, but want to run the engine to charge it then bear in mind that every start needs the equivalent of 11 miles driving to replenish the charge used to start. If you are going to just run the engine, then I would advise putting your sidelights on whilst you leave it running.
8. Avoid trying to open electric windows after heavy frost as this can pull the glass off the regulator. Should be ok once vehicle is warm inside.
9. Check wipers aren't frozen to windscreen(s) before you operate them to clear the screen as this can damage the blades.
10. Make sure you have a decent amount of fuel in the tank and some warm clothes just in case you get stuck somewhere.
11. Use air conditioning all year round as this also acts as a dehumidifier (if not used, seals can shrink and air con gas will escape and then not work).
12. Consider emptying fresh and waste water tanks as a precaution.

I will add some more as I think of them, and please feel free to add anything that I have left off the above list but most modern cars are pretty good.

Anyone local to us, please feel free to contact us reference any of the above points and if you want anything specifically checked.

cheers

Original post Matt Guest

A useful checklist. Thanks! I'll be using my California throughout winter so I might invest in snow-socks.

Original post Calitess

We have reservations about the efficacy & durability of snow socks as ours immediately ripped to shreds after they dug through the snow onto the tarmac underneath - admittedly on a rear wheel drive Merc Vito with its front end stuck in a deep drift.

They are not that easy to fit in sub zero temperatures as they become quite stiff & unyielding.

Hoping to rely on the 4Motion & previous off roading experience to see us through.

Original post alf170

Snow tyres (or M&S) the way forward. Spent many a happy time watching X5 4x4s slide round or go backwards due to their tyres not working - if the tyre can't grip due to profile or compound, then 4x4 becomes irrelevant to a large extent.

Original post smgcowfold

Nov 25, 2011, 12:30pm, calitess wrote: We have reservations about the efficacy & durability of snow socks as ours immediately ripped to shreds after they dug through the snow onto the tarmac underneath - admittedly on a rear wheel drive Merc Vito with its front end stuck in a deep drift.

They are not that easy to fit in sub zero temperatures as they become quite stiff & unyielding.

Hoping to rely on the 4Motion & previous off roading experience to see us through.

4Motion should make a big difference for you.

I do agree that winter tyres are the way to go!

Thanks Alex thats some good advice.

I have just received this email from Sussex Campers with some more good advice

Amazingly, we've escaped any severe weather until almost the end of November. This time last year, we'd already had snow and ice! I thought I'd write with some advice for preparing your campervan for the inevitable...

Firstly, make sure that the engine has sufficient antifreeze in the coolant. If you don't have the tools to check this yourself, most of the fast-fit garages will test it free for you. If you need to top up the coolant, use antifreeze, not just plain water. If the water in the engine freezes, it can crack the block - new engine needed! Not good.

Empty out stored water in any tanks and pipes, and leave taps open, to allow for expansion. This is a good time to make sure that your water system is clean and free from bacteria and mould. We recommend a weak solution of Milton [as per instructions] to kill off anything dodgy. It's good for cleaning the fridge too. Leave the fridge ajar, to allow air circulation.

Ensure that soft furnishings are clean and well aired. Damp can grow mould in the cold weather. Make a point of ventilating the vehicle on the few sunny days we do get over winter.

Make sure the batteries are fully charged.

It's a good idea to start the engine periodically over winter, and let it tick over for a while too, to pump some oil round, and make sure everything is working correctly.

We sometimes go for a short break even in the winter - there is an increasing number of sites open all year, and you have the advantage of peace and quiet in the low season [especially on the Continent]

I have had my Cali Berghaus for about 18 months now and periodically use a Milton solution to sterilise the water tanks. Following the instructions on the Milton bottle, I only leave the solution in the tanks for ca 15 mins before flushing. However, the Milton warnings say do not use on metal and I am sure there will be metal valve components in the cali system.

So.....could the use of Milton be a problem?