Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting the best deal on a new Cali?

Wogga

Wogga

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Seriously considering getting a brand spanking new Cali, due diligence is complete and it is getting close to squeezing the trigger.

I have got some healthy quotes from both Drive the Deal and eAutobid around 10% discount on list. I know I could approach my local dealers armed with these quotes and twist their arms, even if they won't match them exactly.

Our local Lancashire dealership is part of the Swansway Group, they also manage Liverpool, Birmingham and Wrexham. Anyone managed to get a healthy deal from them to even armed themselves with an online quote.

Last edited:
I went to my dealer with the DTD price and they got close enough that I was happy to order from them.

I’m sure I could have saved myself another few quid if I’d hawked my business around but I’m a bit old fashioned and like to think I’ve got a relationship with the dealer/service centre and kept the local economy going

I’m sure I could have saved myself another few quid if I’d hawked my business around but I’m a bit old fashioned and like to think I’ve got a relationship with the dealer/service centre and kept the local economy going

My sentiments exactly Scoots.

Liverpool have a reputation for being good on price, so much so that many of us travelled from afar to buy there.

As with any negotiation know what you want and what a sensible price is, which the DTD quote will have given you an idea of. Enjoy

Seriously considering getting a brand spanking new Cali, due diligence is complete and it is getting close to squeezing the trigger.

I have got some healthy quotes from both Drive the Deal and eAutobid around 10% discount on list. I know I could approach my local dealers armed with these quotes and twist their arms, even if they won't match them exactly.

Our local Lancashire dealership is part of the Swansway Group, they also manage Liverpool, Birmingham and Wrexham. Anyone managed to get a healthy deal from them to even armed themselves with an online quote.
Hi Wogga
Just went through the same process myself. Hit the button earlier this week. Went through autoebid because my local dealer didn't seem to be interested. Got 10% off list, and it turns out that eutoebid's preferred Cali dealer is Swansway VW Commercial in Preston, so your 10% is probably exactly the same as my 10% and through them too - in which case the best you can get there. They were very helpful. Only problem is, I live in Windsor so they're not exactly local for me! Still, worth a day drip for the savings. Currently the very vague estimated delivery is late this year, possibly running over into next. However, they said the price is guaranteed, so I don't need to worry about import tariff changes if delivery is after brexit.

Lancashire is not a bad spot, both Liverpool and Preston have a decent reputation. We bought ours from Guy at Preston, he was good.

Hi Wogga
Just went through the same process myself. Hit the button earlier this week. Went through autoebid because my local dealer didn't seem to be interested. Got 10% off list, and it turns out that eutoebid's preferred Cali dealer is Swansway VW Commercial in Preston, so your 10% is probably exactly the same as my 10% and through them too - in which case the best you can get there. They were very helpful. Only problem is, I live in Windsor so they're not exactly local for me! Still, worth a day drip for the savings. Currently the very vague estimated delivery is late this year, possibly running over into next. However, they said the price is guaranteed, so I don't need to worry about import tariff changes if delivery is after brexit.
Reassuring news Wilbur they are my local dealer not 5 miles away. I am quite expectant now and genuinely happy I stay local. Good news about the price fix as well it was a concern.

At least if or when you come to pick it up it is only a few hundred yards off the M6 junc 31a and if you want a stopover there is a Premier Inn on the junction.

Lancashire is not a bad spot, both Liverpool and Preston have a decent reputation. We bought ours from Guy at Preston, he was good.
Been in touch with Guy already for a few up front quotes, a few K off list. I best become a little more serious. Thanks for the heads up Willwander.

Did you deal with Guy armed with any of the online quotes Willwander?

Hi Wogga
Who is "they" that said the price is guaranteed. Autoebid or VW Preston? Have you actually seen this in your Conditons of Sale?

Hi Wogga

We travelled from Aberdeenshire to Preston to collect ours but had no regrets for a better price and service.

I'm close to making an order and have also been dealing with Guy at Preston (via AutoeBid). He seems to be a good guy and the price is very competitive.

Preston advised they could not match a deal I did at Liverpool as did several others. Give John Mason at Liverpool.

I went to my dealer with the DTD price and they got close enough that I was happy to order from them.

Exactly what I did and for the same reasons.

LVC beat the deal from Drive The Deal. Ask for Adam.

Who is "they" that said the price is guaranteed. Autoebid or VW Preston? Have you actually seen this in your Conditons of Sale?
Good question. Just got the verbal guarantee. You should check this if it concerns you!

With Autoebid you end up buying from VW Liverpool/ Swansway, so you may get a better deal direct because they don’t have to give Autoebid their bung.

Placed an order via Autobid ended up with my local dealership which was a result. Quite happy just need to hope it lands before new year.

With Autoebid you end up buying from VW Liverpool/ Swansway, so you may get a better deal direct because they don’t have to give Autoebid their bung.
So maybe the best thing to do at the moment, if you don't want to phone/email all the dealers is:
1) Get quotes from autoebid and drivethedeal
2) Armed with the best of these quotes, contact VW Liverpool and Swansway directly.
I bet there's some contract between the dealers and these websites to stop people doing this, so you'd have to be very careful how you approach them!
Best of luck!

Oh, and if you are putting in an order now, and you care about possible import duties once we crash out of the EU, get some kind of price guarantee IN WRITING if you can.

The UK will have to do a deal on tariff free cars, if not the Mini & Nissan Plant will up sticks to Slovakia, perhaps even RR & Bentley as they are owned by VW or BMW.
Do as advised above get an ‘express clause’ stating that the price quoted cannot be increased.
There may even be a ‘transition after the transition’ as many thorny issues kicked into longer grass!
Most trade deals take years.

Last edited:
I am going to a vw van centre this afternoon. do I need to go on Autobid etc? its for a 4motion ocean only extra being the extra mattress and a shower attachment.

The UK will have to do a deal on tariff free cars, if not the Mini & Nissan Plant will up sticks to Slovakia, perhaps even RR & Bentley as they are owned by VW or BMW.
Do as advised above get an ‘express clause’ stating that the price quoted cannot be increased.
There may even be a ‘transition after the transition’ as many thorny issues kicked into longer grass!
Most trade deals take years.
RR and Bentley are "British brands" and at the top end of the market/niche - Porsche likely to make a diesel 911 before these brands move out of the UK. Also, the pressure is not just on the UK to cut a deal - Germany car co's make a lot of their revenue and profit globally from the UK as we are one of the biggest export markets outside of the USA.

I tried the dealer direct first to see what the offer was, if you choose to go to Autobid you are restricted to deal with their dealerships, I see you are Chester so I suspect you will be off to Liverpool I think they match pretty well plus you may strike up a better relationship

Back