Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gluing Velcro strip to plastic interior for hanging a shower curtain

GP

GP

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi, we have recently made a large shower curtain to go around the back lifting tailgate door and want to Velcro it to the paint work and in the section nearest the interior the grey plastic interior. So far the Velcro on the paint has held well but not on the plastic and that's before we start using it. Does anyone know what glue is best to stick the man made material of Velcro to the plastic? - the Velcro came with sticky backing but it is not strong enough to stick to the slightly textured plastic. For anyone interested I have attached a few pics of what we have done since it looks like a neat/cost effective solution to overnight stops and not having to put up the tent/awning just for a shower and the curtain when not in use can be stored easily in between one of the deckchairs.

Shower1.jpg

Shower2.jpg

Shower3.jpg

Hi, we have recently made a large shower curtain to go around the back lifting tailgate door and want to Velcro it to the paint work and in the section nearest the interior the grey plastic interior. So far the Velcro on the paint has held well but not on the plastic and that's before we start using it. Does anyone know what glue is best to stick the man made material of Velcro to the plastic? - the Velcro came with sticky backing but it is not strong enough to stick to the slightly textured plastic. For anyone interested I have attached a few pics of what we have done since it looks like a neat/cost effective solution to overnight stops and not having to put up the tent/awning just for a shower and the curtain when not in use can be stored easily in between one of the deckchairs.

View attachment 78210

View attachment 78211

View attachment 78212
Screwfix sell selfadhesive Velcro strips. It’s the similar to the stuff used for the VW shower curtain, but the adhesive is stronger!

View attachment 78210

View attachment 78211

View attachment 78212
Great work there @GP Looks good :thumb

On the velcro, before you stick it to the plastic, use a heat gun to warm the plastic. Also leave the velcro for about 24 hours before you start to use it.

Also, use a continuous strip on the van, but small shorts strips set apart on the curtain itself, so that different parts of the velcro take the load and you are able to easily pull it off.

Do you have the curtain all 4 sides? also, what material did you use?

I think I would consider a curtain wire or similar for the plastic section even though that means fixings into the plastic (but that may still look better than a load of velcro?) How easily would the wet curtain be dislodged in a gentle gust of wind?

I think I would consider a curtain wire or similar for the plastic section even though that means fixings into the plastic (but that may still look better than a load of velcro?) How easily would the wet curtain be dislodged in a gentle gust of wind?
You won’t notice the Velcro as it will be on the inside lip of the boot ),our VW curtain is a heavyweight material and stays attached with no issues.

Good to know velcro can work, that will be the way to go then.

Great work there @GP Looks good :thumb

On the velcro, before you stick it to the plastic, use a heat gun to warm the plastic. Also leave the velcro for about 24 hours before you start to use it.

Also, use a continuous strip on the van, but small shorts strips set apart on the curtain itself, so that different parts of the velcro take the load and you are able to easily pull it off.

Do you have the curtain all 4 sides? also, what material did you use?
Thanks for the help, good idea about the lengths of velcro. Would the heat gun cause too much surrounding damage or can you concentrate the heat accurately? I've never used one before.

We used two shower curtains from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073VKHPNW/?tag=eliteelect-21
They are quick drying, weighted at the bottom and hopefully not see-though! My wife just sewed them together which was enough to go around all four sides and make a good overlap door which has two velcro strips sewn in so as to ensure it stays closed. She then shortened them a bit so they don't drag on the floor but did this at the top of the curtain so as to leave the weighted section at the bottom alone. She sewed the velcro strips into the top section/border. If you want to do it then I can get exact details from her and also some better pictures for you.

We didn’t use a heat gun, used the below to get as many air bubbles out as possible, then leave for a few days before you hang any weight:

8FF32A94-B3AB-43DB-9A39-525D539CF1B9.png

Thanks for the help, good idea about the lengths of velcro. Would the heat gun cause too much surrounding damage or can you concentrate the heat accurately? I've never used one before.

We used two shower curtains from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073VKHPNW/?tag=eliteelect-21
They are quick drying, weighted at the bottom and hopefully not see-though! My wife just sewed them together which was enough to go around all four sides and make a good overlap door which has two velcro strips sewn in so as to ensure it stays closed. She then shortened them a bit so they don't drag on the floor but did this at the top of the curtain so as to leave the weighted section at the bottom alone. She sewed the velcro strips into the top section/border. If you want to do it then I can get exact details from her and also some better pictures for you.

@GP , a hair dryer will do the same as a heat gun. I am sure you can beg/borrow/steal a hair dryer. It is not to heat the area, but increase the temp so that the place is warm to the touch and that helps the glue bond. The heat the roller that @Ch1pbutty has recommended will help remove air bubbles.

@GP , a hair dryer will do the same as a heat gun. I am sure you can beg/borrow/steal a hair dryer. It is not to heat the area, but increase the temp so that the place is warm to the touch and that helps the glue bond. The heat the roller that @Ch1pbutty has recommended will help remove air bubbles.
Great, got the roller ordered and the strong velcro tape so will have a go with hair dryer.
It's such a great forum for helpful ideas, thanks.

Also, prep the surface by wiping with IPA
BTW That's 'Isopropyl Alcohol'... not the beer.

This will get rid of any dirt, grease etc. you will get a better stick.

Back