Good value camping

Hawthorn37

Hawthorn37

Retired, and working hard at it
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
In these days of the soaring price of literally everything, it would be good for this community to find the hidden gems of campsites, offering a good location, decent pitches and facilities, at a modest cost. I’m thinking Europe-wide, including the UK.

As a (bad) example, we are currently staying a a quite nice, but large site, in Anglesey. Good facilities (about a 8/10), good views etc., BUT £49 / night for electric hard standing pitches mid-week in May !!

I appreciate campsites have had a tough 2 years, and energy costs are rocketing, and everyone’s pinching other people’s staff etc., but £49/ night is eye-watering!

There must be smaller sites, with lower overheads, nicely positioned, good facilities, and offering good value - mustn’t there ?? :rolleyes:

I also appreciate some will want to keep quiet about their most precious sites, but in the interests of us all, could we disclose ?? I won’t tell anyone else if you don’t ;)

To get the ball rolling:

Last week we stayed on the Llyn Peninsula in North Wales, at a small site called Bolmynydd. All touring pitches are grass, but well drained.

Positives: good views, pitches are big and you can easily group several vans, facilities are new and very good - if a little few in number, the owner Ruth is super accommodating. 10 mins walk to local pub and convenience store, 15 mins walk to a great beach. Walks direct from campsite - to Abersoch for example. Fabulous area to tour.

Negatives: No shop on site, no touring fast food vans (is that a negative?), small lane to get in (might dissuade some big whites!), some seasonal caravans on site.

Cost for EHU pitch £32/night spring/ summer. Not very cheap, but we thought it was good value.

I’m sure that there far better examples to share. So over to you ….

921F5034-A883-408A-BEA6-E1573776C2AB.jpeg

46FFB5C0-CBA7-41F4-9E74-1EE1FAEE0E1F.jpeg

2BE6DE5A-ABCD-4920-AE59-1A579C05EBC2.jpeg

Last edited:
In these days of the soaring price of literally everything, it would be good for this community to find the hidden gems of campsites, offering a good location, decent pitches and facilities, at a modest cost. I’m thinking Europe-wide, including the UK.

As a (bad) example, we are currently staying a a quite nice, but large site, in Anglesey. Good facilities (about a 8/10), good views etc., BUT £49 / night for electric hard standing pitches mid-week in May !!

I appreciate campsites have had a tough 2 years, and energy costs are rocketing, and everyone’s pinching other people’s staff etc., but £49/ night is eye-watering!

There must be smaller sites, with lower overheads, nicely positioned, good facilities, and offering good value - mustn’t there ?? :rolleyes:

I also appreciate some will want to keep quiet about their most precious sites, but in the interests of us all, could we disclose ?? I won’t tell anyone else if you don’t ;)
If you think that’s eye watering what about this. We bought out van 7 years ago just before Easter. We decided to have a few nights away to try it out before we went further afield. We live in South Wales so there’s a few sites we wanted to look at. Easter arrived and we set off not actually booking anything beforehand. We came across a place called Kiln Park. It seemed to have all the bells and whistles, a bit too much really for our age but thought we would ask the price. My wife came back with a shocked look on her face. She had asked the price over Easter and they said £72. She said was that for the week . Er no PER NIGHT...Needless to say we declined the offer but just down the road there was another nice little site at £22 per night.
The UK is quite expensive when it comes to campsites compared with France and Spain where in the off season you can stay on fabulous sites for Under €20 per night.

To get the ball rolling:

Last week we stayed on the Llyn Peninsula in North Wales, at a small site called Bolmynydd. All touring pitches are grass, but we’ll drained.

Positives: good views, pitches are big and you can easily group several vans, facilities are new and very good - if a little few in number, the owner Ruth is super accommodating. 10 mins walk to local pub and convenience store, 15 mins walk to a great beach. Walks direct from campsite - to Abersoch for example. Fabulous area to tour.

Negatives: No shop on site, no touring fast food vans (is that a negative?), small lane to get in (might dissuade some big whites!), some seasonal caravans on site.

Cost for EHU pitch £32/night spring/ summer. Not very cheap, but we thought it was good value.
Coincidentally I was looking at a couple of nights on Llyn today - want to go to N Wales as part of a tour this summer.

Around here (north coast Spain) 30€ should get you a night in summer practically on the beach on a basic site, no EHU. The most expensive we use (generally for weekends as it's less than an hour away) is 35 a night with a pool. At the other end, the site in the Pyrenees I've been using for years doesn't ever seem to put prices up! €6.50pp, 6.50 for the van and 5 for EHU.

Would you mind sharing which this is?
Oh! I copied the link but forgot to paste it lol
Near Izaba - Nafarroan Pyrenees

this is the local “expensive” place - although by currently 25€ for 2pax without EHU. 1km from the beaches of Lekeitio, decent restaurant, has a pool in high season

Coincidentally I was looking at a couple of nights on Llyn today - want to go to N Wales as part of a tour this summer.

Around here (north coast Spain) 30€ should get you a night in summer practically on the beach on a basic site, no EHU. The most expensive we use (generally for weekends as it's less than an hour away) is 35 a night with a pool. At the other end, the site in the Pyrenees I've been using for years doesn't ever seem to put prices up! €6.50pp, 6.50 for the van and 5 for EHU.
You might find Bolmynydd to your liking. 2 pubs in village, a bar restaurant by the beach - open for breakfast, lunches and early dinner.

You might find Bolmynydd to your liking. 2 pubs in village, a bar restaurant by the beach - open for breakfast, lunches and early dinner.
Sounds perfect, don't ask for much more than that - marked it in my "want to go" list. Looks to be some good hill running/walking, and I believe there's a brewery nearby that does tours too :cheers

Stayed at Camping Du Phare in the centre of Honfleur sunday night, full facilities and a nice bakers van delivering fresh croisants in the morning - 16 euros

Last edited:
Ok Stayed at Camping Du Phare in the centre of Honfleur sunday night, full facilities and a nice bakers van delivering fresh croisants in the morning - 16 eur
Sounds perfect, don't ask for much more than that - marked it in my "want to go" list. Looks to be some good hill running/walking, and I believe there's a brewery nearby that does tours too :cheers
Stayed at Camping Du Phare in the centre of Honfleur sunday night, full facilities and a nice bakers van delivering fresh croisants in the morning - 16 euros
That’s the sort of value we need !

Judging by the very few responses to the original question, either there aren‘t the site gems offering good value (decent standard of camping for affordable cost), or folks are wanting to keep such info dark!! :rolleyes:

haha! Or we can’t remember!
I would love to know where the beautiful and peaceful farm campsite is that I stayed on somewhere in the middle of France for a night. Left early and couldn’t pay, so mailed them the cash when I got back to Spain, a whole five euros Didn’t keep the address though so absolutely no idea where it was.

Summer is officially over (so the weather people tell us) and now it’s a ski slope to Christmas :talktothehand, and the opening of campsite bookings calendars for 2023 :pinkbanana

So, I wondered if now would be a good time to reflect on our stays so far in 2022, and to recommend the ‘good value camping’ sites we’ve enjoyed? For best value, it doesn’t necessarily mean cheapest, but could be the best location, best service,best added extras, or even just best times to be had.

For us, I think we’d nominate Bolmynydd Camping in Llyn, North Wales. Based on a farm, lovely views of the coast, sheltered camping fields, brand new amenities block (always warm), and friendly chatty owners. All for £32 per night including EHU. It was a lucky internet find, we looked for locations we’d like to stay and fancied Llanbedrog. There’s a beach, beach cafe, a Spar, and 2 pubs in walking distance, so what’s not to like!

6315F0F3-7C11-4A4E-8697-25ECCC2142C1.jpeg

DB53E02D-5DD1-44AE-A21D-573BD37778A3.jpeg

9A67DF20-3DD1-4F3C-AFA7-0E61BD20C292.jpeg

1707AA0A-C87C-4FB8-A89B-67F33A9DA197.jpeg

Last edited:
Good thread.
Thanks for posting. I can’t think of anywhere that comes to mind at the moment. We stayed on a few sites this year that were quite expensive.
In the UK we did some overnighters and stayed roadside.

Another decent site this year was Langcliffe Park near Settle. £28/ night including hard standing and EHU. Located 15 minutes walking distance to Settle (pubs, shops, cafes etc), and Settle Victoria Hall which gets music acts (why we were there). Also some of the best Penine walking you could imagine! The scenery is stunning. Walks from the site.

Shower block was standard, quiet site (quite a few seasonal pitches, but also about 20 touring), good dog walking facility / field for those that need it. They were constructing what appeared to be fully serviced touring pitches.

5938A608-40C5-4094-9ED8-FB45DA5FFBCC.jpeg

49060221-6FB4-4C31-8B12-99FAE714873A.jpeg

54D7D683-C6C9-4133-B797-D5E28E573028.jpeg

550441EF-AFF7-4E54-BDB4-1899B659F043.jpeg

4A18624A-0B7A-4B17-A528-6384B2D67ECE.jpeg

Interesting thread. TBH and 6 months into this the drive for super cheap pitches puzzles me.

Effectively it’s like a hotel - you can have budget or luxury and prices will vary wildly in between.

I hotel a lot for biz and rarely do I get a mid level room for less that 150 a night. So that tends to be my starting point for sites.

We stayed on one this week that was 16 quid a night and it was terrible. A farmers field covered in goose crap. I had one last week for 20 quid with all the facilities but a bare bones site. We have also stayed at CCC ones with all the bells and whistles (and wardens to pay for) for nearer the 40 a night.

We also did Etties field a fortnight ago and that was well priced AND a fabulous site. Not cheap though.

We take each as it comes and it depends on what we are planning to do and what we want to do there. Are we stopping or staying is the question we ask and pay accordingly.

70 quid sounds steep, but if the facilities and location is perfect for our means, no issues. The challenge comes when you have goose poo sites charging the same, but we haven’t experienced that (and will never visit this site again).

Similar story on Britstops IMHO. While I know its “optional to buy a meal” it’s generally expected and done. A decent pub meal is going to set you back a minimum of 40 quid for two. We can stay on a decent site and make our own food for less - so was the Britstop “free”?

Food for thought. Literally.

Agree with your sentiments / views on price, but price doesn’t always equal value. Finding reasonably priced sites, offering a good camping experience, is what we really appreciate.
:agreed

Sweet spot ATM for a basic stop site seems to be between 20-30 and a stay site 30-50. I think Etties field was 35ish which was bang on and for us now the litmus test on what a stay site should be.

Last edited:
It's difficult recommending sites because everyone's taste is different. The choice is also weather-dependent. I'm much happier with the farmer's field site in the summer, but I want high quality WC/Shower facilities when the weather gets rough. It also depends on whether I'm solo camping or going with the missus, dog and son. And of course the killer view is priceless and worth taking a dump in a hole in the ground!

My highlights for 2022 are as follows:-

No. 1 for Location -
Talymignedd Isaf, Nantlle, Gwynedd, North Wales. LL546BT. Set in a valley overlooked by Snowdon. A stunning site with gorgeous sunsets. Basic site. Good toilets and showers.

No. 1 for WC/Showers -
York Caravan Park, Stockton Lane, York YO32 9UB. Well laid out with the BEST WC/Showers we've used. Ideally situated for York City. Not much to do on site, but the bus stop for direct buses into the City is outside the main gate. Ideal sightseeing base. Adults only.

No. 1 for Facilities -
Mill Park Campsite, Mill Lane, Berrynarbor, Nr Ilfracombe, North Devon, EX34 9SH - Well laid out site. Good pub/restaurant on site. Good fishing lake. Shop. Close to North Devon beaches. Broadsands Beach 25 mins walk. Pubs nearby.

Best all-round and No.1 for 2022!!
Tyddyn Isaf Caravan Park, Lligwy Bay, Dulas, Anglesey, LL70 9PQ - Wow! Stunning site. Beautiful location over-looking Lligwy Bay. Access to beach. Shop/bar on site. Friendly staff. Great facilities. Spotless/modern/warm. Brilliant environmental efforts. Park teems with wildlife. No.1 on our list for a re-visit in 2023.

In total we have visited 14 different sites this year with over 50 nights under the pop top. Just our opinions...any other thoughts/recommendations.

It's difficult recommending sites because everyone's taste is different. The choice is also weather-dependent. I'm much happier with the farmer's field site in the summer, but I want high quality WC/Shower facilities when the weather gets rough. It also depends on whether I'm solo camping or going with the missus, dog and son. And of course the killer view is priceless and worth taking a dump in a hole in the ground!

My highlights for 2022 are as follows:-

No. 1 for Location -
Talymignedd Isaf, Nantlle, Gwynedd, North Wales. LL546BT. Set in a valley overlooked by Snowdon. A stunning site with gorgeous sunsets. Basic site. Good toilets and showers.

No. 1 for WC/Showers -
York Caravan Park, Stockton Lane, York YO32 9UB. Well laid out with the BEST WC/Showers we've used. Ideally situated for York City. Not much to do on site, but the bus stop for direct buses into the City is outside the main gate. Ideal sightseeing base. Adults only.

No. 1 for Facilities -
Mill Park Campsite, Mill Lane, Berrynarbor, Nr Ilfracombe, North Devon, EX34 9SH - Well laid out site. Good pub/restaurant on site. Good fishing lake. Shop. Close to North Devon beaches. Broadsands Beach 25 mins walk. Pubs nearby.

Best all-round and No.1 for 2022!!
Tyddyn Isaf Caravan Park, Lligwy Bay, Dulas, Anglesey, LL70 9PQ - Wow! Stunning site. Beautiful location over-looking Lligwy Bay. Access to beach. Shop/bar on site. Friendly staff. Great facilities. Spotless/modern/warm. Brilliant environmental efforts. Park teems with wildlife. No.1 on our list for a re-visit in 2023.

In total we have visited 14 different sites this year with over 50 nights under the pop top. Just our opinions...any other thoughts/recommendations.
That’s a great round up. Quite agree - personal taste and priorities will be different for everyone. But there’s a surprising consensus amongst people we chat to when discussing merits (or bad points) about different sites.

We are planning a trip to York around November so I’ll take your recommendation on board. We were also thinking about the Caravan Club Rowntree site, quite a price though.

To back you up on Tydden Isaf - we agree, stunning views and well kept site. The site wardens are always ‘on it’, leaving nothing tatty or unfilled. Great walk to the beach, and a short drive to many other beaches. It was very nearly our No.1, just beaten by Bolmyndd - another great site in the same area, but around £15/ night cheaper for us.

Steeple lease farm campsite near Wareham is my goto site. No hook up. Very basic facilities including stand pipes, sinks with cold water only, toilets (including compost ones). No bog roll provided. (Take your own). Nice warm showers.
You can’t book, just rock up and pitch and they collect pitch fees. Camper vans and tents only. No great whites or sheds on wheels. Fires allowed with or without fire pits. They sell fire wood & kindling. £8 PPPN.
Set in the heart of the Purbeck hills. It’s a little gem.

Just had this email from CAMC …

The Sites Directory and Handbook is sent to you in the post every two years. With our new and improved Club App now available free to download, we wanted to give you the choice to go paperless.”

I think I’ll keep the handbook a while yet!