Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all, I'm travelling from Ireland to the UK next week to attend the Goodwood Festival of Speed from Thursday to Sunday.
We plan to spent the following week around the south west of the UK, but we are unfamiliar with the area.
Any suggestions of places and things to see would be greatly appreciated.
We are taking our 2002 VW T4 California Freestyle and it will be our first trip abroad with the cali.

Best regards Padraic.

I’m going to the FoS on Saturday. Don’t go west, go east, come to Brighton!

We probably will travel west, as it makes sense when we are sailing back home from Fishguard.
Bath is one town we want to visit for sure.
Is wild camping okay in the UK?

Go west! The New Forest is worth a look, loads of good campsites and if you haven't had enough of cars the Motor Museum at Beaulieu is worth a look.

Head South West to Devon and maybe Cornwall, beautiful beaches, villages and plenty of campsites to choose from. Also it won't be too busy as the schools have not broken up yet.

I agree Goodwood area and South downs likely to be busy.

I would also suggest New Forest (as a local) , we love the Isle of Purbeck (other side of Poole harbour) , and Dorset is generally lovely.

Also going to FoS on Wednesday pm to make the advance camp for the latecomers and hopefully claim a good pitch:)

I agree Goodwood area and South downs likely to be busy.

I would also suggest New Forest (as a local) , we love the Isle of Purbeck (other side of Poole harbour) , and Dorset is generally lovely.

Also going to FoS on Wednesday pm to make the advance camp for the latecomers and hopefully claim a good pitch:)
Thanks for the tips, all of the area west of Goodwood looks like its full of national parks, great cost etc.
I'm looking forward to meeting other cali owners at the FOS,
Have you been there before? Does the campsite fill up fast on Wednesday? I hope to arrive Wed evening and would like to get a decent pitch.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice so far.

Any other T4 owners going to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year. We are going for the weekend and it would be great to meet fellow T4 cali owners.

Any other T4 owners going to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year. We are going for the weekend and it would be great to meet fellow T4 cali owners.

Hey I'm a T5 Cali Owner and you can talk to us :D

Which campsite are in in H or E ? , Yes been before this is probably our fifth year camping. There is a GoodWood APP on Apple and Google Playstore which is a good addition for this year to help you plan what to see and when.

Prime spots in H (Close to GoodWood hotel) tend to fill up quick as there is more "Corporate camping" and they arrive early to set-up. I am going Wednesday after work and need to find two pitches.

E is much larger (bus ride / walk from show entrance) , always found it easier to get get spots near bus pick-up or WC/Shower cubes.

Weather looks fantastic , better than a couple of years ago when it was traction control off and Rally it across the Muddy field :)

T5 in field H also... ..from Wednesday night with a bit of luck.
@Lost in the Forest what general location within "H" would you recommend?

We tend to go to the right-side of the main track, mainly habit and closer to WC/Shower cubes. H is not that big so anywhere is good really. Obviously you can't control how boisterous your pitch Neighbours may be after a few beers. In our experience everybody is very like minded and friendly, but its not like a normal campsite with lots of expensive cars and truck sized motor-homes parked about.

Hey I'm a T5 Cali Owner and you can talk to us :D

Which campsite are in in H or E ? , Yes been before this is probably our fifth year camping. There is a GoodWood APP on Apple and Google Playstore which is a good addition for this year to help you plan what to see and when.

Prime spots in H (Close to GoodWood hotel) tend to fill up quick as there is more "Corporate camping" and they arrive early to set-up. I am going Wednesday after work and need to find two pitches.

E is much larger (bus ride / walk from show entrance) , always found it easier to get get spots near bus pick-up or WC/Shower cubes.

Weather looks fantastic , better than a couple of years ago when it was traction control off and Rally it across the Muddy field :)
Of course I’ll talk to T5 & T6 owners, but as a T4 owner, I’m keen to see others.
I’m also in campsite E, so I’ll probably stop by and say hi.

Any recommendations for campsites close by.
I’ve just won 4 tickets so going to head down Friday

If you want full facilities try Graffham CMC site or if you want a field with stunning views and very little facilities (portaloos only, no showers) try Newhouse Farm in East Dean. I particularly recommend the latter - it is rather chaotic but amazing setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk