Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate gas struts

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone, I've noticed that the tailgate struts on my T4 California Freestyle are not able to hold up the tailgate open when I have one bike on it. Has anyone upgraded theirs? Did you get VW parts or source from a third party company?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

Yes I've heard of them. I'll check them out.

Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice wit this. I've been reading a few forums about this and I cannot find a clear answer as to what type or strength of replacement struts I need.
I've contacted SGS and they suggested 1250N struts, however they cannot say for sure if these struts can hold the tailgate up with the bikes still on the bike rack.
I've read on other forums of people using 1400N struts etc.
So can anyone confirm if they have had any success with replacement struts? Or if their standard struts can hold up the tailgate and bikes on the rack, could you get me the part number or details of them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice wit this. I've been reading a few forums about this and I cannot find a clear answer as to what type or strength of replacement struts I need.
I've contacted SGS and they suggested 1250N struts, however they cannot say for sure if these struts can hold the tailgate up with the bikes still on the bike rack.
I've read on other forums of people using 1400N struts etc.
So can anyone confirm if they have had any success with replacement struts? Or if their standard struts can hold up the tailgate and bikes on the rack, could you get me the part number or details of them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.
My T6 has the standard struts, with two full sized bikes the tailgate needs a prop to stay up, with the folders it will stay up if the two stored seats are removed, beware of damage to the hinges/tailgate if the struts are uprated to far.

Back