Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gore-tex roof liner (Brandrup Isotop)

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
Seem to be a lot of Andrew/Andys etc! (See my "DAB Radio string).
Just thought I'd share my thoughts and joy over the Gore-tex liner from Brandrup. We put one in when we first got the van, and are so glad we did (although a bit pricey). It means you can sleep up in the roof in almost all weathers, which we always do, as it then leaves the "ground floor" free for light sleepers or early risers to make a cup of tea or get changed without disturbing the snoozer upstairs.
The liner can stay folded down when the roof is dropped, which apparently helps to keep the mattress dry. In fact, if you keep detaching it from the velcro, it eventually weakens the glue holding the strip on to the roof frame. If the velcro strip does come away (which ours did), stick it back on with double-sided carpet tape - it seems to do the job better than the original glue provided.

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum.

Great tip about the double sided carpet tape. I used evostick contact adhesive on mine but you do have to use it with care.

Here is a link to some more reviews and tips on the Isotop.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t13=2491

John

You are obviously made of much sterner stuff than I am! We also have the ISOTOP and a cover, but I wouldn't dream of camping out in the van at this time of year. Yes of course you could, but you could also go out and sleep in your car overnight and that wouldn't be much fun either!! Even with the heater, and winter sleeping bags it is a test of fortitude, rather than an enjoyable experience.

I am sure all ex-campers would strongly disagree (and I know plenty of owners go skiing with their vans), but in this weather it is a nice warm hotel for us, and the van can wait in the carpark.

Cali is super snug in weather like this.......my new Duvalay is on it's way.......then my first night since March will be enjoyed......

I have to say that for us in a freezing central Spain, tha Cali we just bought was fantastic! It's like it excels when the weather turns bad! We had driving rain, freezing fog and sub zero temps and with our 5 month old son with us and we were never anything but snug and warm. The parking heater is just incredible and so fast at getting the van warmed up! Yes the night can be cold if you don't keep the heater on, but not like a car. We bought the van just for the cosy snug feeling you get when you are camping and it has been just that. I can't even fault the lower bed...without mattress topper....as we tried both directions and could have been more comfy! I love a good firm mattress so that helps, and no rocks stones or bumps that camping always has. Our son loved being in the van and looking out the windows at the fishermen all wet and cold..lol. Carry on Camping I say! :lol: :lol:

ps Water in tanks didn't freeze either, I am glad to say! :D