Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grace milleage after service is due

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi all, after one year and 40.000 km my Cali is due for 1st service.... but it's happening rigth when having my year holidays in Italy :headbang

It happened similar thing when I used to have my VW Passat and I remember, once the milleage is due for service you have 2 o 3 thousands grace kilometers before the ECU activate the limp mode.

Mi Cali, T5 Beach 140cv, is configured in kilometers and there is still a margin of around 800 km to reach 40000. I think I've got marging to come back to Cardiff next week and then arrange an appoiment in VW UK.

Do someone know how many km of grace this engine give you?

I've never heard of an engine going into limp mode when a service is overdue just the annoying "bong" when you turn the ignition on.
California service indicators from memory can be set for either yearly (for low mileage/short journeys) or 2 years/20,000 miles.

Me neither, but suffered it: I was crossing France, from Spain to UK on a Sunday (no workshop opened) and suddenly "limp mode". You cannot imagin what a trip until I was able to reach UK and, on monday, bring the Passat to thw workshop.... nothing wrong but tge services overdue for 2 or 3 thousand kms.

Mi Cali is in "long life" set up, so 40.000 km for the service.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but why did you not have the vehicle serviced before embarking on such a trip if you knew you would be exceeding the service interval.
Also you could be invalidating your warranty if you do not abide by the recommended service intervals.

I've just didn't realized the service were due on 40K kms until the onboad computer pop the message up. And yes, I did read the whole user guide.

I will not overpass the milleage beyond the grace milleage, wich is a safe margin That's because I'd like to tell how big that margin is to decide whether wait until I'm back in UK or do it here.

On the othet hand, I do this kind of trips quite frequently, so sometimes you just get used to them and relax too much

Mainly because I'd prefer not tobwaste my vacation days in a VW dealer, but alsobecause I'd like tget fixes some minor defects. In Cardiff I don't need my Cali and I don't care if it have to be a couple of days at the workshop, now I'm sleeping in it.

Well, at the end I've decides not to gamble and brought my Cali to a VW dealer at Rome... probably the biggest one?

After the service I've asked them about that and they told me it's safe to drve 4 or 5 thousand kilometers more. To me that's too much even having long life oil. They also has no idea about the systen going to limp mode when you overpass too much the service milleage.

Aside of that nothing about the tailgate brake light replacement and, too much coolant in the deposit?

IMG_20160809_155921900.jpg

Thank Loz. The picture was taken several hours after stop the engine, but anyway this morning the level was the same. I've removed some coolant just in case.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
D
Thank Loz. The picture was taken several hours after stop the engine, but anyway this morning the level was the same. I've removed some coolant just in case.
Do'nt forget the ambient temperature in Italy is about 30c +/- and in the UK a lot lower so you will probably have to top up when you get back to UK. Mine was at Max in UK, well above Max in Italy and now in Central France, a bit cooler, it is just above Max.:thumb

Thanks Welshgas. It's still a "little" over the max mark, so hopefully it will be OK when come back to UK. Anycase I'll check it up when at Cardiff just in case.