Grand Cali - Sea sucker roof bars?

reserves

reserves

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm getting more intrigued by the Grand Cali now that used values are mid 50's

However I need to transport surfboards and also store them inside when we're sleeping, or worst case on the roof.

I don't think they will fit inside without restricting access to the toilet door.

Also, I know there's no roof bar option.

My question is, is it possible, or has anyone used those Sea Sucker type roofbars and would this be possible on a Grand Cali?

Or does it have a ribbed roof?

Roof is not load bearing being GFRP. Rear door mounted options likely best. Loads of companies making ladders etc that could be adapted or customised. I used https://apwmotorsports.co.uk/ recently for a custom spare wheel carrier to allow a rear mounted spare to clear our swing bike rack.

Thanks.

I understand it's not load bearing, but imagine it could handle 10kg

Ahh, the roof is fibreglass, hmm.
The 680 is single skin GFRP, the 600 double skin with a 40mm internal foam core. Both are pretty busy with things on the roof like skylights/vent/solar/AC/Satdish/awning (the last 4 being options) but not saying its not possble. The fact that VW fit pretty heavy things on the roof like the AC and awning suggests it has a level of support capability but that may also depend on localised reinforcement. The dynamic load of a surfboard on the roof at 70mph may be something to consider. Just for completeness, there is a known and fairly wide-spread issue what seems more related to white roofed vans with the seal between the GFRP roof and the GC body failing and allowing water ingress, currently dealt with under warranty. The fix involves a total re-seal. How VW would view loads beyond factory and that warranty is something only VW could comment on.

The 680 is single skin GFRP, the 600 double skin with a 40mm internal foam core. Both are pretty busy with things on the roof like skylights/vent/solar/AC/Satdish/awning (the last 4 being options) but not saying its not possble. The fact that VW fit pretty heavy things on the roof like the AC and awning suggests it has a level of support capability but that may also depend on localised reinforcement. The dynamic load of a surfboard on the roof at 70mph may be something to consider. Just for completeness, there is a known and fairly wide-spread issue what seems more related to white roofed vans with the seal between the GFRP roof and the GC body failing and allowing water ingress, currently dealt with under warranty. The fix involves a total re-seal. How VW would view loads beyond factory and that warranty is something only VW could comment on.

Thanks that's super helpful.

Not ideal but I cold potentially travel with the surfboards inside and at night put them on the roof to get them out the way.

If I'm off surfing I'm usually wild camping or on the road, hence not having a place to store the boards.

The Joker has threaded lugs on the side / roof that can be used as mounting points. Check if the Grand Cali has anything similar

Had 4 boards (10ft longboard, 7’2ft Egg, 6ft shortboard & 7ft foam board) strapped to the side to SW France and back.

IMG_0171.jpegIMG_0172.jpegIMG_0173.jpeg

Back