Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative options to roof bars for carrying surf boards

Y

yellow.jersey

VIP Member
Has anyone got any ideas how to carry surfboards on top without fixing on roof bars. Trying to avoid raising the height of my Cali. Was looking at softracks but they seem to need windup windows to attach the straps inside.

Re: Alternative options to roof bars for carrying surf board

Buy a short board and attach it to a bike rack :rofl
Seriously thats where I have put my bodyboards on, if all sandy.

Not sure any other way of attaching a soft rack to a Cali roof. Unless you use the roof rails and find a way of securing the soft rack into them. I would not like to imagine the damage that could be caused though.

What size is your board? My 5'9" easily fits in the back. Wifes 8ft board goes on roof bars. Which beach are you thinking of to park at? Most have non height restricted parking if you look around.

I'm not good enough to ride a short board. But good idea about the body boards on the bike rack. Looks like roof bars are way to go as need interior space for kids and dogs

Reurrecting an old thread here. I am too interested in transporting surfboards on roof sans roof rack. Soft racks such as these:

C9B03FC7-EA5F-4F00-9C65-805CCE38BCBF.jpeg

work as for attaching front rack through front doors but of course not the rear. Is there some device that could slide into the roof rails and serve as attachment point for the rear rack? Or perhaps a way to tie down the rear rack against the thule wanderway bike rack (already fitted)?

Cheers

Reurrecting an old thread here. I am too interested in transporting surfboards on roof sans roof rack. Soft racks such as these:

View attachment 92285

work as for attaching front rack through front doors but of course not the rear. Is there some device that could slide into the roof rails and serve as attachment point for the rear rack? Or perhaps a way to tie down the rear rack against the thule wanderway bike rack (already fitted)?

Cheers
Avoid soft-racks for anything other than hire cars; They can damage your roof, sand can get under the pads and then the vibration during the journey can scratch the paint. If you load a stack of boards you risk denting the roof and it might not pop back into shape on a Cali.

Cali roof is Soft Alu so will distort / dent fairly easily. Fit proper roof bars!

Avoid soft-racks for anything other than hire cars; They can damage your roof, sand can get under the pads and then the vibration during the journey can scratch the paint. If you load a stack of boards you risk denting the roof and it might not pop back into shape on a Cali.

Cali roof is Soft Alu so will distort / dent fairly easily. Fit proper roof bars!
Thanks for the advice - looks like I’ll be grabbing some Thule 753 feet with 127 cm wing bars then, as Cali forum consensus seems to gravitate toward that combo.

I’m sure I went slightly longer (135cm?) - just felt they offered a bit more flexibility.

I’m sure I went slightly longer (135cm?) - just felt they offered a bit more flexibility.
I’ll check it out thanks.
Do the 753 feet mount directly into the roof rail or is an intermediary model-specific part required?

Some advertised for sale on here a couple of days ago…

Some advertised for sale on here a couple of days ago…

Bit of a hassle to ship across Europe
Looking at the local bulletin boards I think I can source the parts used for around £150. But first I need my dealer to agree to the repair of (undisclosed at the time of sale) lifting damage to the sills, estimated bodywork cost approx £2500..

Back