Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

grand california satellite system

L

leeb

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Any one else having problems with the dinette satellite outlet on the Grand California fitted with the Kathrein sat system?
Connected kitchen unit sat outlet to avtex tv with built in sat decoder..works perfectly. When I connect to the dinette sat outlet tv displays "no signal". Driving me a bit potty trying to work out whats going on.

Ok.. for any of you folk who encounter this problem I have discovered the problem. See the photo..clearly the F connector on the cable attached to the Line out of the CAP has been mangled. The copper core has not been inserted into the outlet correctly. Once I straightened it and made the connection correctly all was good. Pretty sloppy quality control at VW factory ...makes me slightly worried about what other gremlins are lurking

Baldwin GC Kathrein sat system.jpg

Ok.. for any of you folk who encounter this problem I have discovered the problem. See the photo..clearly the F connector on the cable attached to the Line out of the CAP has been mangled. The copper core has not been inserted into the outlet correctly. Once I straightened it and made the connection correctly all was good. Pretty sloppy quality control at VW factory ...makes me slightly worried about what other gremlins are lurking

View attachment 70460
Glad you solved it and thanks for sharing.

pleased you got it sorted, did you open for the WiFi option

It is on the exdemo I bought...along with most of the options!
Not sure what the advantage is over a mobile phone hotspot..particularly as it needs a second (data only?) sim to work.

It is on the exdemo I bought...along with most of the options!
Not sure what the advantage is over a mobile phone hotspot..particularly as it needs a second (data only?) sim to work.
So take it that’s a no then.
It has an external aerial compared to a phone and more likely to work in areas that mobiles do not work,
Yes it does require an additional data sim. Can get a 30 day only sim. It works really well and better than a phone.

Im interested in using it for that reason ..so which provider and tarif did you opt for

Im interested in using it for that reason ..so which provider and tarif did you opt for
Hi do you have it installed, its under the drivers seat and aerial runs from there to above the sliding door,
I use vodafone they have 30 day sims when I last looked starting at around £20/£27/£32/£37 depending upon data and speed and of course you can get cheaper however you get what you pay for in speed/quality and data. Vodafone seem to cover the UK well and Europe as and when we get there.

As I said..it is installed..sitting on top of the Kathrein CAP under the drivers seat. I will investigate data only Sims when we get on the road again!

Sorry leeb I have re read and see no mention of your WiFi option.

also check under the seat to see which Farkra port your aerial is connected to as VW fitted it to the incorrect port so will not work.

Today 4:12; It is on the exdemo I bought...along with most of the options!

Will check the connections!..after my experience with the Sat system seems to be a bit of a theme!

Today 4:12; It is on the exdemo I bought...along with most of the options!

Will check the connections!..after my experience with the Sat system seems to be a bit of a theme!
Well this seems to be the theme as it’s also happened in Germany.

Hi Folks,

Can I ask if anyone has upgraded their satellite system and firmware to 5.22 or beyond? I have obtained the ufz 132 wifi stick but had to upgrade to 5.22 to get it to work. I had to use the kathrein-ds German upgrade package so now I’m wondering how to get a set of gb configuration files for it?

I also couldn’t upgrade to cap konverter 6.22 and am wondering if that’s for newer versions of the hardware?

Does anyone have any experiences along these lines of upgrading and configuring a gb environment?

Many thanks in advance!

Kr

Andy

Hi Folks,

Can I ask if anyone has upgraded their satellite system and firmware to 5.22 or beyond? I have obtained the ufz 132 wifi stick but had to upgrade to 5.22 to get it to work. I had to use the kathrein-ds German upgrade package so now I’m wondering how to get a set of gb configuration files for it?

I also couldn’t upgrade to cap konverter 6.22 and am wondering if that’s for newer versions of the hardware?

Does anyone have any experiences along these lines of upgrading and configuring a gb environment?

Many thanks in advance!

Kr

Andy
Answering my own question - I contacted Kathrein DS support and they were very helpful:

1) They made available configuration files to get the UK channels over Astra 28.2 E that I was missing.

2) 5.22 is indeed the latest firmware for the v1 hardware that my GC600 came with.

Back