Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California water problem

Parapalkocamper

Parapalkocamper

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,
In February of this year, I purchased a brand new Grand California 800, which from the first moment had defects and after 2000 km I already took it in for service with some problems, one of which has not been solved until now. They have already changed my kitchen faucet that was short circuiting and starting the water pump randomly and the central control panel that also had problems of use. The plastic hinge of the table leg also broke - they didn't change it, but they offered me another table for 300 euros.
The problem that still persists and it seems that they don't even have a clue of the solution is that the water in the kitchen and bathroom only works approx. 30 seconds then stops. To restart the water flow, the faucet must be closed and restarted, or touch the screen of the central panel that is in stand-by, turn on an interior light, or press the water button on the toilet.
The official response from the dealer was that there are no technical solutions for the repair, to take the car to them and any repair for this purpose is postponed.
Please, if anyone has had similar problems and managed to solve it, advise me how to fix this problem.
Thanks,
Paul

Hello,
In February of this year, I purchased a brand new Grand California 800, which from the first moment had defects and after 2000 km I already took it in for service with some problems, one of which has not been solved until now. They have already changed my kitchen faucet that was short circuiting and starting the water pump randomly and the central control panel that also had problems of use. The plastic hinge of the table leg also broke - they didn't change it, but they offered me another table for 300 euros.
The problem that still persists and it seems that they don't even have a clue of the solution is that the water in the kitchen and bathroom only works approx. 30 seconds then stops. To restart the water flow, the faucet must be closed and restarted, or touch the screen of the central panel that is in stand-by, turn on an interior light, or press the water button on the toilet.
The official response from the dealer was that there are no technical solutions for the repair, to take the car to them and any repair for this purpose is postponed.
Please, if anyone has had similar problems and managed to solve it, advise me how to fix this problem.
Thanks,
Paul
my GC600 has been standing still for a month at the VW workshop near where I live.
I bought it in April 2021 and spent more time in the workshop than on the road: a little for the various defects that everyone has, including that of the tap, water leaks from the roof, etc., a little for the incompetence of the technicians that, in the area where I live, have never seen such a vehicle.
Among the various interventions this month there is also the replacement (for the fourth time) of the tap.
This time with the new model, finally.
Insist, insist, never give up.

Hello @Parapalkocamper,

Yes, there seems to be an issue with water stopping after about 20 to 30 seconds in the shower, less so with the kitchen tap and outside shower.

At the moment we have the issue in the shower. As far as I know there is no solution for it.

We see it as a kind of "water saving feature". With a Grand California you learn to make lemon juice. ;)

I don't want to scare you, but there are a few more "standard issues" which seems many of the Grand California's come "as standard".

The key to tackle all this issues, is to have a professional, good, patient and competent VW dealer with good working relationship with, in your case, VW Romania. Almost all issues can be solved by your VW dealer (with help of the VW Romania and VW Germany). But it takes time. But if the issues are sorted you will really have a wonderful camper which everybody will admire you for.

Best of luck.

Almost repaired Grand California,
Eberhard

my GC600 has been standing still for a month at the VW workshop near where I live.
I bought it in April 2021 and spent more time in the workshop than on the road: a little for the various defects that everyone has, including that of the tap, water leaks from the roof, etc., a little for the incompetence of the technicians that, in the area where I live, have never seen such a vehicle.
Among the various interventions this month there is also the replacement (for the fourth time) of the tap.
This time with the new model, finally.
Insist, insist, never give up.
Where was the water leaking from your roof? We have water leaking down both a pillars and dripping out from the front handles.

Where was the water leaking from your roof? We have water leaking down both a pillars and dripping out from the front handles.
Thats interesting because I have water leaking into the dashboard and filling the cupholders. I think it might be coming in from the doors and dripping from the front grab handles.
Have you had it back to the dealer and have they fixed it and if so how?

That’s condensation it happens sometimes in our man Sven hedin
the cab is not insulated,you need to vent when cooking and sleeping

That’s condensation it happens sometimes in our man Sven hedin
the cab is not insulated,you need to vent when cooking and sleeping
Ours is definitely not condensation. It has happened when it was parked up and we were not using it and there was no other condensation inside. It was after strong gales and the rain was blowing onto the side of the van when parked up on level ground.

Hello,
Thanks,
Paul
Hi Rob here in New Zealand, Have the same problem the water stops after 2.5 minutes, seem it has a timer if you touch / wake up control panel it starts flowing again, its fine if I’m plugged into mains power so when off power grid I plug in my solar generator to have a long shower.

Ours is definitely not condensation. It has happened when it was parked up and we were not using it and there was no other condensation inside. It was after strong gales and the rain was blowing onto the side of the van when parked up on level ground.

Mine is leaking also. GC600. Dripping from door handle. Took off some trip around the children’s bed above the cab and can see the whole area between the cab metal and the cab fiberglsss extension is full with water which was frozen, see red arrow for general area. I put the heating on and van on ramps to try to pull get some out. Grim, it’s on my long list of issues to sort inc common tap issue, headline DRLs not working, shower trim lose so door doesn’t open to bathroom freely. Extended trip to VW needed. Any advice on how this was fixed is appreciated. I recall someone saying their roof was re-bonded but can remember which forum that was on.

fd70343ef169cf22ab339891ba7fe793.jpg

0644bfbb71714474afb82d20ca08d3db.jpg

90222e5b2db96dceb30776e7214b5724.jpg

93a86d7d784d3f9a798303d48d105952.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
Thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul have the same issue here in New Zealand, (it’s ok if plugged into shore power) but if not I have the same problem as you tap off and back on starts pump, touching the control panel starts pump and so on. My work round is to crack the back door this keeps the pump running when having my shower go figure.
Good luck
Rob

Mine is leaking also. GC600. Dripping from door handle. Took off some trip around the children’s bed above the cab and can see the whole area between the cab metal and the cab fiberglsss extension is full with water which was frozen, see red arrow for general area. I put the heating on and van on ramps to try to pull get some out. Grim, it’s on my long list of issues to sort inc common tap issue, headline DRLs not working, shower trim lose so door doesn’t open to bathroom freely. Extended trip to VW needed. Any advice on how this was fixed is appreciated. I recall someone saying their roof was re-bonded but can remember which forum that was on.

Hi,
We are just returning from our first trip with our 680. At this season we have been driving quiet a lot in the rain and no infiltration problems. But yesterday it has been raining all day and the GC was parked outside. In the evening I discovered exactly the same issue. How did you you solve that problem ? or where is the water coming from ?
Thanks
Jacques

I had that problem with the leaking water down the A pillar to the cupholders some months ago. I sealed the rear brake light( the one in the roof) with butil and never happened again....We live at a very rainy area.

Maybe it hepls It's a very common problem and there is a lot of info about it

If your GC is still under warranty it is a warranty fix. There is a VW TPI describing the issue & fix.

Attachments

• Technical product information Transaction No.- 2067615:3 Grand California additional brake lig...pdf
    231.7 KB · Views: 51
To check if your issue is the 3rd brake light lead look between the headlining and roof over the middle rear cabinet. If around the light fitting and/or top of rear cabinet are wet then the brake light seal has failed and needs the repair. Note that the official repair involves an additional butyl seal that is not part of the original factory build.

Has any person found where water is getting in other than 3 brake light that are appears dry I checked with camera and can see water lodged in same area in bulkhead above piller can't see where it's getting in

If the rear brake light area is dry then the other place that’s been reported on the various groups is a failed seal between the GFRP roof and the body.

¿Por dónde se escapó el agua de tu techo? Tenemos agua goteando por ambos pilares y goteando desde las man

Eso es condensación, le sucede a veces a nuestro hombre Sven Hedin.
La cabina no está aislada, es necesario ventilar al cocinar y dormir.
Jajaja condensación ! Por favor que entra agua como si abres una garrafa .

We have traced back the water which is flowing down the handle to the GFPR roof. It appears the water is pooling above the windscreen (at the red line shown in the second photo). We removed the sliding bed and trim around the sides. We inserted a camera at the corner of the bed (Arrow 3). The pictures taken show a pool of water. We inserted a telescoping camera about 2-3 ft further in and this point appears to show water coming through the fiberglass where the label is.

We are at a loss to know where this water is originating from. Is the GFPR roof a doubled layered roof?

We did a test on the rear brake light spraying with water for 30 minutes but this didn't show the issue. We have had it back to the garage twice . They have redone the roof windows but it didn't stop the leaking when it rains.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Photo 0.jpg

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Thats interesting because I have water leaking into the dashboard and filling the cupholders. I think it might be coming in from the doors and dripping from the front grab handles.
Have you had it back to the dealer and have they fixed it and if so how?

First I had the recall for roof ee windows done by my local vw garage then when I had the water leaking problem I took it back to dealer I purchased it from and they had windows redone but leaking did not stop so it's booked in again for 23 of April in the meantime I decided to see if I could locate the leak but to no avail so far it's 600 miles round trip to dealer

I suspect it could be the seal between the plastic roof and the metal body. I had mine fixed under warranty. The dealer did an excellent job it has not leaked since.

If the rear brake light area is dry⁹ then the other place that’s been reported on the various groups is a failed seal between the GFRP roof and the body.

First I had the recall for roof ee windows done by my local vw garage then when I had the water leaking problem I took it back to dealer I purchased it from and they had windows redone but leaking did not stop so it's booked in again for 23 of April in the meantime I decided to see if I could locate the leak but to no avail so far it's 600 miles round trip to deal

Back