Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grey waste dump

Correct. In Germany for example it is forbidden to wash a car on the road or even in your own driveway, unless you have a drain for wastewater (which nobodies has).

meine Güte!

Utter tosh.
Hi Lightning. Which part of my comments did you think was “tosh”? The bit about potential pollution or that local’s complaints re this influence council bans, or both. Not looking for a flame or rant, just wondering So I can put the opinions that differ from mine into a context.

Hi Lightning. Which part of my comments did you think was “tosh”? The bit about potential pollution or that local’s complaints re this influence council bans, or both. Not looking for a flame or rant, just wondering So I can put the opinions that differ from mine into a context.
Have heard people complaining about smelly waste tanks and seen plenty of sludgy, oily messes on roads and dumped in hedgerows, particularly disgusting in hot weather and harmful to the direct environment/wildlife.

Your view is a generalisation based upon a set of assumptions which don’t always apply.
My grey tank does not get smelly because I don’t store grey waste in it. I leave the tap open, so only very small quantities are dumped in any one go. Everything that goes down my drain is eco friendly. I’m vegetarian and don’t cook with oil. My waste causes no harm to the environment. I am almost certainly not alone in being careful what I dispose of. I have been wild camping for most of the last year and have never come across an oily sludgy mess on the road or in hedgerows. Many smaller campsites actually direct the disposing of grey waste in hedgerows, and this is endorsed by a large camping club on their website.

I know that this is one of the things locals complain about and councils take seriously when deciding to ban CVs and MHs from stopping over.

What actual evidence can you cite that links the disposal of grey waste to overnight bans. Can you cite a report or meeting minutes where this was a major issue in instigating a ban? In my view other issues have a much more significant bearing on these bans being introduced. The disposal of grey water does not significantly affect the outcome of these in my view.
There are two camps in this debate and both sides can be right. However, the disposal of grey waste away from from a designated disposal point is not necessarily harmful to the environment if done responsibly, and the perception that it is always harmful is wrong.

Have heard people complaining about smelly waste tanks and seen plenty of sludgy, oily messes on roads and dumped in hedgerows, particularly disgusting in hot weather and harmful to the direct environment/wildlife.

Your view is a generalisation based upon a set of assumptions which don’t always apply.
My grey tank does not get smelly because I don’t store grey waste in it. I leave the tap open, so only very small quantities are dumped in any one go. Everything that goes down my drain is eco friendly. I’m vegetarian and don’t cook with oil. My waste causes no harm to the environment. I am almost certainly not alone in being careful what I dispose of. I have been wild camping for most of the last year and have never come across an oily sludgy mess on the road or in hedgerows. Many smaller campsites actually direct the disposing of grey waste in hedgerows, and this is endorsed by a large camping club on their website.

I know that this is one of the things locals complain about and councils take seriously when deciding to ban CVs and MHs from stopping over.

What actual evidence can you cite that links the disposal of grey waste to overnight bans. Can you cite a report or meeting minutes where this was a major issue in instigating a ban? In my view other issues have a much more significant bearing on these bans being introduced. The disposal of grey water does not significantly affect the outcome of these in my view.
There are two camps in this debate and both sides can be right. However, the disposal of grey waste away from from a designated disposal point is not necessarily harmful to the environment if done responsibly, and the perception that it is always harmful is wrong.
Thanks for the clarification.

Surely the place to dump grey waste is at any underperforming dealership?

The main issues that local residents have with campers and MH's revolve around black waste disposal. Human waste plus often incredibly nasty chemicals, even when tossed down a public lavatory, quite rightly cause a stink (pun intended) when disposed of irresponsibly..

From being a small child camping I was told to dispose of soft waste (non-fatty waste water) in hedgerows and still do. I don't chuck fatty water down my plughole, at home or in my camper and I only wash and shampoo with stuff from these people

Ignore him Elly
I think it’s important to be open to all points of view. To me it’s the point of discussion forums. It’s how I am face to face and I’m not any different online. I think I’ve said my bit and Lightning’s said hers/his, I know where she/he’s coming from, so all’s good.

Thanks for the supportive message though, Adamvanman. :thumb

I leave my drain taps open when the tanks are empty, and when I set off I sometimes forget to close the grey outlet. On many occasions I’ve thought, “I should drain my waste tank”, and pulled up carefully over a drain at the side of the road, only to discover that it’s been trickling out for days and neither I nor anyone else have noticed.

I seldom do much washing up in the van, though...

I leave my drain taps open when the tanks are empty, and when I set off I sometimes forget to close the grey outlet. On many occasions I’ve thought, “I should drain my waste tank”, and pulled up carefully over a drain at the side of the road, only to discover that it’s been trickling out for days and neither I nor anyone else have noticed.

On rallies in farm fields etc you have to use hedgerows to empty grey water. This keeps hedges watered in dry periods and stops unnecessary filtering of water/emptying of septic tanks. You only ever put fat down a caravan/camper once as the hastle to clear it is well remembered.

I agree that waste grey water can and should be disposed of in hedgerows, carefully and thoughtfully, making sure the waste is bio-friendly so it does no harm and that it’s not near a water source, lake, river, stream, etc. It’s the tap opening, mass dumping as you drive off without looking back or taking responsibility that gets me riled.

The main issues that local residents have with campers and MH's revolve around black waste disposal. Human waste plus often incredibly nasty chemicals, even when tossed down a public lavatory, quite rightly cause a stink (pun intended) when disposed of irresponsibly..

From being a small child camping I was told to dispose of soft waste (non-fatty waste water) in hedgerows and still do. I don't chuck fatty water down my plughole, at home or in my camper and I only wash and shampoo with stuff from these people

Jen, did you mean to put a link to some wash/shampoo stuff, if so I can’t see it. :(

I do most cooking and washing outside the cali. We’ve had ours a year and only ever used the sink once as a sink to check how it all worked, the only for a strip wash with gentle soap.

That means only a small, manageable amount of waste water at a time. Here’s some of the equipment I use:

Ortlieb foldable bowls, take up no space when folded and are really versatile.

Scrubba wash bag (doubles as a dry sac):

Quechua folding shower:
with either a blow up small paddling pool or Lakeland oven rack soaking tray:https://www.lakeland.co.uk/20228/Ov...s_kwcid=AL!49!3!398465063207!!!g!841444665731!
to stand in if needed.

Means that waste water is easy to deal with immediately and doesn’t get stored up.

5F15FDEC-D089-488F-B9E5-626DF6CA51CE.jpeg

DF808BC2-1F14-4714-BBEE-EC9D38DCCD63.jpeg

0E1A2120-0DC3-4E06-9719-7E5F0F040908.jpeg

10761D10-6698-43D2-8DAE-5E3E2FB46FCA.jpeg

Drains are underground pipes that take water away from houses and buildings. Most homes have separate drains for rainwater and wastewater. The owner is responsible for checking their property has the right drain connections. If your property has the wrong drain connections, you could be causing water pollution.
Drain for rainwater
This drain collects rainwater from:
  • roofs
  • driveways
  • roads
Rainwater is untreated. It's also described as 'storm water'. The surface water drain takes it directly to rivers and beaches.
Drain for wastewater
Wastewater comes from:
  • toilets
  • sinks
  • baths and showers
  • washing machines
  • dishwashers
This drain takes the foul water to the local wastewater treatment works.

If wastewater from your home flows into the rainwater drain, this takes untreated water to the nearest river. This pollutes:
  • river water
  • the sea
  • local beaches
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/connecting-your-home-right-drains

People thinking that dumping grey water over a gully or on the road is fine are WRONG. they will be polluting.
There is a reason why in camping sites there are grey water disposal areas rather than just road gullies.
Completely agree. If we aren’t carefully great places to go will become anti-van and surely we don’t want that. The great whites are a major problem but most people currently have a soft spot for small calis etc - let’s not abuse our reputation. So - I empty the portapotti down a loo and the waste water goes there too via a collapsible bucket. At home I have an STP which seems to cope with both happily. Surface water goes straight into a stream round my house and will foam etc with detergent in it - and probably kill the eels and water voles so not a good idea!

Well I'll confess, we have forestry car parks with rough gravel surfaces near us (plantations not ancient woodland) and I park up in a corner of one of those and empty such grey water as collects in my tank - very little as, like others, I generally do my washing up outside, or at least empty the water outside, in one of those useful hedgerows.

Jen, did you mean to put a link to some wash/shampoo stuff, if so I can’t see it. :(

Yes Elly, they were doing site maintenance!

I have attached the link again. I sell their product locally and all profits go towards the upkeep of Mona, a sweet orphaned 7 year old orang-utan now on a soft release programme in Kalimantan. She was orphaned by deforestation and I have adopted her via the orang-utan foundation so it seems fitting that selling cleaning products free of palm oil should help her and her relatives have a safe future.

Last edited:
Yes Elly, they were doing site maintenance!

I have attached the link again. I sell their product locally and all profits go towards the upkeep of Mona, a sweet orphaned 7 year old orang-utan now on a soft release programme in Kalimantan. She was orphaned by deforestation and I have adopted her via the orang-utan foundation so it seems fitting that selling cleaning products free of palm oil should help her and her relatives have a safe future.

Sounds great. Do they have unscented versions of their products, Jen?

Sounds great. Do they have unscented versions of their products, Jen?

As far as I know there are no specific scents added, just the natural oils themselves. The Shea butter is to die for :) I carry the travel bars in the van, use for both body and hair, and that is pretty much unscented.

Wow, and it's not even expensive! I'm definitely going to try some their Shea butter soap as they say it's good for eczema, or maybe the travel soap as it has tea tree oil, or maybe.... Maybe I'd better spend some time browsing the website!

Wow, and it's not even expensive! I'm definitely going to try some their Shea butter soap as they say it's good for eczema, or maybe the travel soap as it has tea tree oil, or maybe.... Maybe I'd better spend some time browsing the website!

There is a tea tree body soap and a tea tree shampoo.