Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Handover check list queries

T

The oaks

VIP Member
We are are currently in the throws of purchasing a three year old low mileage Cali from a VW dealer and whilst going through your excellent check list we have a couple of queries:

1. The auxiliary heater - whilst checking this out, with the side door open we noticed a strong smell of diesel fumes. The dealer suggests this is normal if the heater has not been used from new and will disappear after a couple of hours initial use. Has anyone had similar experience of this. Is this correct?

2. The check list suggests a strap to fit the small table over the bench seat, the Dealer wasn't aware of this strap, can anyone explain the type of strap we are looking for.

With regards to the roof issues in the current threads, which have been extremely useful, ours currently appears not to be showing any signs of corrosion.

We are looking forward to picking up our Cali next weekend and attending some rallies in the near future.

The Oaks

Hi , that smell from the heater you wil have every time u use it...personal,i dont put on my heater and leave the door open.... :mrgreen:
Serious , it are super good heaters , every time you start it up especially the first time after not using it for a while it gives a smell .
The exhaust is locaded under the van somwhere near the sliding door on the right , why could VW not move it to the back... :headbang

That table strap is something i also did not get with my new Cali but somewhere in the manuel you can look up whats it for .

As above if you have the side door open you will get a fume smell.
The strap clips to the underside of the small table then attaches around the headrest
On the bench seat to give you more workspace I haven't used mine in four years of ownership

The diesel smell is unburnt diesel & will clear when the heater is going. All night heaters do this it is perfectly normal.

Exhaust is on right hand side of the van which is correct for a LHD vehicle (door is on left) which the cali is designed as. Another thing we have to put up with having a RHD cali.

Hi Hotel California T5, thanks for your reply, just to reassure everyone, whilst we were testing the heater, the salesman was leaning on the door, somewhat bemused as we were working through the check list.
:thanks

Thanks to Calikev on the table strap issue, it doesn't sound like we'd be needing them anyway. Considering we're purchasing our Cali from a main VW dealer, this particular salesman wasn't aware of them either.

Thanks to Andy for confirmation of the diesel smells, we were concerned that it may have been a faulty heater, it's nice to be reassured it's not.

So presumably we wouldn't want to attach a driveaway awning and then turn the heater on?

I use the table strap quite a bit. It means you can do some cooking with a flat surface nearby without preventing fridge access.