Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

winter check list

Izzi

Izzi

Carpe diem
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Is there a winter check list somewhere of things that need to be done for the cold weather. I tend to drive it on a daily basis but may not be away in it that much over the winter.

I use my Cali as a daily driver. Given that the channel around the pop-up roof is not watertight what precautions do members take to minimise the ingress of water/salt over the winter months.

This morning I raised the roof to clear leaves etc as it has been pretty wet and windy here the last few days and discovered ice, not a huge amount, in the front channel between the front cap and the pop-up roof as well as condensation on the underside of the front edge of the pop-up section. Is this normal? The Cali was last driven yesterday and last night the temperatures fell to about -2C.

The roof was last up the weekend of 11th November and was fully dry when closed.

All thoughts/comments are welcome.

I use my Cali as a daily driver. Given that the channel around the pop-up roof is not watertight what precautions do members take to minimise the ingress of water/salt over the winter months.

This morning I raised the roof to clear leaves etc as it has been pretty wet and windy here the last few days and discovered ice, not a huge amount, in the front channel between the front cap and the pop-up roof as well as condensation on the underside of the front edge of the pop-up section. Is this normal? The Cali was last driven yesterday and last night the temperatures fell to about -2C.

The roof was last up the weekend of 11th November and was fully dry when closed.

All thoughts/comments are welcome.
I always clean the roof seai then spray it with silicone, i also wax all of the
paintwork of which the roof covers.

My idea being that the water will just ´bead and run away´ through the 4 drain
holes up there. Of which one of my front ones is blocked and i´m trying to work
out how to unblock it.

I always clean the roof seai then spray it with silicone, i also wax all of the
paintwork of which the roof covers.

My idea being that the water will just ´bead and run away´ through the 4 drain
holes up there. Of which one of my front ones is blocked and i´m trying to work
out how to unblock it.

I had a blocked one and this fixed it...

Get a thick drinks straw (I used a McDonald's one), cut a 2-3 cm slit up it. Make the straw thinner at the slit end and push it in the hole until it stops and creates a seal. Then blow down it really hard. Did the trick for me

Get a thick drinks straw (I used a McDonald's one), cut a 2-3 cm slit up it. Make the straw thinner at the slit end and push it in the hole until it stops and creates a seal. Then blow down it really hard. Did the trick for me
Now that is lateral thinking - impressed

If anyone does this trick could they take a photo of the straw and where the holes are as I haven't seen them and my vision of the straw is likely not the intended one. Lol

If anyone does this trick could they take a photo of the straw and where the holes are as I haven't seen them and my vision of the straw is likely not the intended one. Lol
Done this trick too a few weeks back - works well.

On one of the warmer sunnier winters days.
I find it’s worth airing out the wind out awning. I think a lot of water gets in over winter if it isn’t used much and starts to make the awning mouldy.
Worth airing out for an hour or two and the pop top if it hasn’t been used much.

Back