Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Happy Things/Thoughts/Videos/Jokes

Ha, much rather hear some nice music from the Guards band than watch a bunch of RAF choppers trolling around burning up maybe 30 tonnes of jet fuel for no very good reason (that's nearly a hundred tonnes of CO2 emissions BTW, equivalent to driving a VW California more than ten times around the world).
:headbang :Iamsorry

Ha, much rather hear some nice music from the Guards band than watch a bunch of RAF choppers trolling around burning up maybe 30 tonnes of jet fuel for no very good reason (that's nearly a hundred tonnes of CO2 emissions BTW, equivalent to driving a VW California more than ten times around the world).
Watched the choppers (recently back from Afghanistan apparently) fly over Halton with my grandson this morning and we loved it. :)

Also love the band playing but @Velma's Dad, I wonder (tongue in cheek) what your calculation of environmental cost would be of mining the metal for the brass instruments and manufacturing them, flying black bear skins from Canada, etc, etc, etc.:) :)

Ha, much rather hear some nice music from the Guards band than watch a bunch of RAF choppers trolling around burning up maybe 30 tonnes of jet fuel
I love the sound of both, if someone could arrange a fly past with a couple of spitfires & beer on tap, I think it could make the perfect afternoon.

Sod the band and the choppers, bring back the Vulcan.

I love the sound of both, if someone could arrange a fly past with a couple of spitfires & beer on tap, I think it could make the perfect afternoon.
Shame on you. Anyone who could even think of equating the nerve jangling racket of a bunch of paraffin burning helicopters to the sublime growl of supercharged 100 octane exiting through ejector exhausts of the Merlin V12 has no soul whatsoever.
:upsidedown

Shame on you. Anyone who could even think of equating the nerve jangling racket of a bunch of paraffin burning helicopters to the sublime growl of supercharged 100 octane exiting through ejector exhausts of the Merlin V12 has no soul whatsoever.
And that’s just the Band !

Actually I must agree. Where we live in East Kent Spitfires passing overhead are a fairly common occurance. When the weather is fine we often see them. If you have very deep pockets you can actually pay to fly in a converted two seater and this accounts for at least some of our sightings If anyone's interested they fly from Biggin Hill and Headcorn. They usually fly down to the Battle of Britain memorial at Capel le Ferne and fly back as the crow flys over chez nous and it's not unusual to see an impromptu flying display going on overhead.

Only last Friday a Spitfire carried out a glorious series of aerobatics right overhead. That sound never fails to bring a lump in my throat. It was only later that we discovered that this wonderful display was to commemorate Battle of Britain fighter ace, Squadron Leader Archibald McKellar who was shot down and killed on the 1st November 1940. His Hawker Hurricane was seen circling the area several times before going inverted and crashing into trees at the nearby Woodlands Manor, Adisham. Unfortunately his name doesn't appear on the B of B memorial because the battle officially finished on the 31st October.

Back in the 1970s my father was one of the leading lights in the Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge. As such he helped excavate many crash sites sometimes with me in tow. I remember him telling me that when he investigated that crash there were still lumps of wing spar and other assorted alluminium debris lodged up in the trees.

Actually I must agree. Where we live in East Kent Spitfires passing overhead are a fairly common occurance. When the weather is fine we often see them. If you have very deep pockets you can actually pay to fly in a converted two seater and this accounts for at least some of our sightings If anyone's interested they fly from Biggin Hill and Headcorn. They usually fly down to the Battle of Britain memorial at Capel le Ferne and fly back as the crow flys over chez nous and it's not unusual to see an impromptu flying display going on overhead.

Only last Friday a Spitfire carried out a glorious series of aerobatics right overhead. That sound never fails to bring a lump in my throat. It was only later that we discovered that this wonderful display was to commemorate Battle of Britain fighter ace, Squadron Leader Archibald McKellar who was shot down and killed on the 1st November 1940. His Hawker Hurricane was seen circling the area several times before going inverted and crashing into trees at the nearby Woodlands Manor, Adisham. Unfortunately his name doesn't appear on the B of B memorial because the battle officially finished on the 31st October.

Back in the 1970s my father was one of the leading lights in the Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge. As such he helped excavate many crash sites sometimes with me in tow. I remember him telling me that when he investigated that crash there were still lumps of wing spar and other assorted alluminium debris lodged up in the trees.
@Borris You might be interested in a visit to Aces High in Wendover if you’re passing. (Or their shop in Sainte-Mere-Eglise in Normandy).
Although the majority of the veterans have now passed away, they’ve hosted most of the WW2 fighter pilots (RAF & Luftwaffe), Dam Buster crews, Bomber Command, etc, at their ‘signing days’.

E424DB3D-D336-43C1-9DDD-3F46DDF9E7D0.png

@Borris You might be interested in a visit to Aces High in Wendover if you’re passing. (Or their shop in Sainte-Mere-Eglise in Normandy).
Although the majority of the veterans have now passed away, they’ve hosted most of the WW2 fighter pilots (RAF & Luftwaffe), Dam Buster crews, Bomber Command, etc, at their ‘signing days’.

View attachment 81188

I'll certainly will pay a visit soon. Thanks for letting me know. :thumb

Here's a short snippet of last Friday's Spitfire display. It's mainly sound I'm afraid but looking at a small aircraft against a huge sky is never that impressive. I tried to include it in my post but Mrs B had hidden it in something called a cloud! :headbang

Here's a short snippet of last Friday's Spitfire display. It's mainly sound I'm afraid but looking at a small aircraft against a huge sky is never that impressive. I tried to include it in my post but Mrs B had hidden it in something called a cloud! :headbang

Has anyone, other than myself (Mrs Borris) got this to work, please??

Has anyone, other than myself (Mrs Borris) got this to work, please??
I’m no expert but I think the MP4 file needs to be converted to play on an iPhone (not sure about Android).

Well that's me flummoxed then! :(
Software is available to do it. I’m guessing though that somebody on here might know of a free of charge way of doing it.

Software is available to do it. I’m guessing though that somebody on here might know of a free of charge way of doing it.
Well I wouldn't worry. I confess to being someone who has a very poor attention span when it comes to anthing of this nature. Any mention of techy software stuff and I instantly glaze over.

Just clicked on it and it worked O.K. for me.
Wonderful sound.
I have mentioned before that we are often overflown by the three WW2 planes when they fly to displays south of their base.

We get a very low flying Chinook over the house about once a week, side door is normally open and you can see the crew inside. They must use it for training over the South Downs. Always follows exactly the same path to within a few meters.

We get a very low flying Chinook over the house about once a week, side door is normally open and you can see the crew inside. They must use it for training over the South Downs. Always follows exactly the same path to within a few meters.
We get a Chinook overhead daily. I think it flies between the barracks at Woolwich and central London more or less following the Thames.

Also we are not too far from Biggin Hill in Bromley, and get loads of veteran aircraft from there.

Neptune appears at Newhaven.

1be249ea8e31bdd13e8f3279e5dafbab.jpg

Back