Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone had this before?

T

TripleBee

Vehicle
N/A
Hi.
I recently looked in the back of the van, and noticed the fabric coming loose at the right hand side.
Has anyone else had this problem before with a solution?
Injecting glue through the fabric?

IMG_20190718_105713.jpg

IMG_20190718_105721.jpg

Today it even has become worse. It is now almost over the whole length.

I really don't like it...

Any chance water has got on the back of the panel? I'd stick a pin in and squeeze the bubble to check first.

It is not water. If I push it, I can get it in place, but it doesn't stay there anymore. It looks like some older car's headlining hanging off. But then sideways.

Has the heat detached the adhesive? try a hair dryer and gently push the fabric back with clean hands holding a metal serving spoon or a microfiber cloth.

Worth a go.

It looks like its a separate panel but i think the whole panel has to come off
and then you will see if it is separate. vw-t5-t6-california-rear-quarter-interior-panel.jpeg

mine is the same, the van is 13 yrs old though, haven't fixed mine yet
Ok, I am not alone.
Just a shame this happens.
The good thing is, it is hidden partly behind the rear seat, so it is not in direct sight.
Will have a look if the panel is separate, and how to get it out.

The silver trim comes off easy enough.
Not sure about the panel, when are you gonna try :)
mine is the same.

What if we all try a different solution?
Then we can have a look at the outcome?

Well mine needs urgent attention, it seems that the middle panel is not separate
and on mine the lower part of the middle panel has kind of like speaker holes that
i can see through the material.

Its was glued on with some crap sticky stuff that has gone past its sell by date.

Indeed, under that trim are holes for a speaker if you have a Dynaudio system. For me (us) it is just fabric over the speaker holes.
For now it is only the top half fabric that gets loose, but it might get worse.

I think the easiest way would be some fabric spray glue to spray through a tiny hole in the fabric, but I don't like the idea of pinching a hole in very decent fabric.
Bison or Pattex hase some glue spray, but I would like to see how that works out before I start molesting fabric.
I am very cautious with my stuff and don't like to make things worse than they are now...

I think the easiest way would be some fabric spray glue to spray through a tiny hole in the fabric, but I don't like the idea of pinching a hole in very decent fabric.
Bison or Pattex hase some glue spray, but I would like to see how that works out before I start molesting fabric.
I am very cautious with my stuff and don't like to make things worse than they are now...
That won't work.

Auwch.
But it confirms what I was thinking. The fabric gets loose from the underground that is glued to cardboard/woody stuff.

Maybe you could buy some spray glue, and try to fit it back in to place? You just need some glue that does not penetrate the fabric, so it will not get through to the front.
The hardest part will be to get the fabric nice and tight back in to place.

Double sided tape won't really stick to that orange material under the fabric. You can always give it a try and let us know, but I really doubt it.

I had to glue plastic on plastic once, that needed to be really close to eachother, so no double sided tape could do the trick. I used spray glue, and that worked very well. You have to let that dry a little first and then press the two pieces to each other. So if the glue is relatively dry, it won't penetrate in the fabric, I think.
I can't try it because the fabric is loose in the middle and I can't reach the back of the fabric.

Update,
I stopped by at fast freddies today to ask him what the deal is.

He said that the orange crap was part of the material, so the material
had a foam backing and its glued on to the plastic trim so its the material
that has come away
and that i should remove all of the orange stuff and glue using verdünner and don't
let the orange stuff go onto any upholstery because it will stain.

So after its all off i will see if i can get the same colour material again.
He had one elasticated type but it was a shade darker.

Thanks for the reply.
It was my thought too that the fabric has become loose from itself, meaning: the side that is glued is still glued, but the fabric has been torn in half, so the one half still is glued, the other half is loose.

To be honest, if the shad is a bit darker, but of a similar texture, I would not mind, as the color of the surrounding panel is not quite the same color, the tint might be very similar?
That piece of fabric is not that visible because of the position to the rear seat. But it would be nice if you could find the same looking fabric.

And indeed, don't spill any thinner on plastic, as it will "eat" the plastic.

Back