Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has the Roof Corrosion issue been solved for new vans?

Salty

Salty

Salty
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, new to this forum, and have a new Beach on order....

First question.....does anybody know whether VW have solved the roof corrosion problem on new vehicles. What are VW saying? No mention was made at all when I bought it, and it would be annoying if they haven't solved it and the dealer hadn't mentioned this known problem if it isn't solved.
Second...I am going to vinyl wrap the bottom half of the van with a contrast colour, à la Caravelle. If I went a bit further and wrapped the roof too, would this offer extra protection. Thinking that to be in the safe side, might as well do it? Ridiculous I know to have to do that to a new vehicle.

Brilliant site btw, my wife thinks I've completely lost it as I'm always talking about VW California's these days. She thinks I may have Calaforniaitus.

that's an interesting question, and if so, since when.

I think modifications were made in 2014 but with two areas affected I think it is too soon to see if the problem has been fixed. I would say most owners would have doubts about a complete fix.

I agree with larrylamb I think the front roof panel is cured but not sure they will ever fix the roof edge problem without changing the rubber seal design

Nobody knows and Vw aren't saying only time will tell if the roofs continue to corrode.
Even if you wrap the roofs the corrosion is from within and I am sure wrapping will not prevent it occurring and you will have given Vw an excuse not to pay out!

I think modifications were made in 2014 but with two areas affected I think it is too soon to see if the problem has been fixed. I would say most owners would have doubts about a complete fix.

Mine was manufactured after the supposed cure but it has had corrosion on both parts of the roof.

Which month was yours made? Could it be made before the cure but delivered after? Or VW just had a number of "non cured" parts in factory which were no replaced but used right after the solved the problem?

Mine was made in April 2015 and I'm concerned. In the event something comes up I hope VW manage to fix it. I've bought it in Spain, where VW is very reluctant to just fixing the issue (some dealers just stopped fixing them). I guess if it happens to mine, because I'm living in UK, VW UK would fix it for me providing it's under world wide warranty.

I read somewhere that the Front roof problem, at least, was supposed to be have been fixed late 2013, 2nd quarter of MY 2014. Remember MY runs from June to June. So MY 2014 started 1st July 2013 or thereabouts.
So you need to know when the vehicle was manufactured NOT when it was first registered.
MY=Model Year.

Mine is an early model year 2015 and it's had the pop roof done already

Mine is an early model year 2015 and it's had the pop roof done already
Must be hit and miss. Mine was made August 2014 and is still pristine, front panel and elevating roof section.

Thank you all. I wonder what difference the wrap would make?
Really the wild buying experience has been a mission, but that's another thread entirely. Perhaps one day there will be a degree in California Studies, so much to grasp!!!

Actually i have been told the problem can still come up under the rubber seal on the pop-top....
A well informed recourse who is a VW dealer told me.
Keep checking frequent by pulling off the rubber seal and clean out the moist/sand , becouse it is that sand getting stuck inside the seal , scrubbing against the paint giving bubbles and corrosion.

Now many are probally gonna disagree on this but , if i got myself a T6 i would check!

It wouldn't stop me buying one if there is still a problem. The Cali has too many good points to pass over on it's Achilles heel. :)

Told you some would love to push that X button ....is it out of fear they just bought a 6er and can't sleep at night?
I am not the California wizzard , but the one who told me is.....take my word....;)

Oh , my 2012 is also suffering dots under the roofseal....
Let me get this straigt , all Cali's will get dots within' time.

Now off enjoying mine:D