Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater battery problems

J

jules brown

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,
I have 2007 Cali. Is the front leisure battery exclusively for the diesel heater because mine seem to be connected to the rear one? My heater works fine on mains or with engine on but won’t fire up on just battery. If you start it on engine it switches off 10 minutes after engine goes off. Both batteries are new.

I have a 2010 SE and to best of my knowledge both the camping batteries (one under passenger seat and one in rear wardrobe) are connected in parallel, so effectively work as a single battery unit. My heater runs fine on battery as long as charge is over 11.5v and there is diesel in the tank ( some say it has to be over a quarter full but i have run mine successfully with it just out of the red). There is a large cube fuse on the rear camping battery which if blown means you may only be running on one battery, the heater takes a big current to to start up so you may have problems if this is the case. Hope this helps if not there are others much more expert on the electrics than me who should be able to help you.

Hi,
I have 2007 Cali. Is the front leisure battery exclusively for the diesel heater because mine seem to be connected to the rear one? My heater works fine on mains or with engine on but won’t fire up on just battery. If you start it on engine it switches off 10 minutes after engine goes off. Both batteries are new.
What voltage are you seeing on the Control Panel?
Even better check the voltage on both Leisure Batteries, are they the same?
You would have to disconnect the +tve and -tve leads on the rear battery.
Measure the voltage on the battery poles themselves. That will give the voltage on the rear battery. Measure the voltage across the removed red and black cables. That will give you the voltage on the front leisure battery.

Just because the batteries are new, one could still have failed. That’s why they have a warranty.

Back