HELICOPTER TAPE.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Having committed to the purchase of two Brompton's as touring aids for our Calis, these will do a fair bit of to and frowing from the bike rack. So I'm interested in protecting their paintwork.
How?
Helicopter tape, 3M or other?
Wet or dry application?

Any advise welcome. Thanks.

Having committed to the purchase of two Brompton's as touring aids for our Calis, these will do a fair bit of to and frowing from the bike rack. So I'm interested in protecting their paintwork.
How?
Wet or dry application?

I used heli tape. Warmed it and the frame with a hairdryer and applied it dry with a felt squeegee

We keep ours inside. Great bits of kit.

If you want cheap and lightweight bags to store them the Ikea Dimpa ones are a good choice.

Helli tape applied dry, warm it up first, then again when applied.

doesnt need to be Helicopter tape, although helicopter tape is reassuringly thick, (but expensive) just clear tape that’s thick enough to provide protection.

Last edited:
Custom cut kit for Brompton:

Your decision on whether the investment is worth it over standard heli tape, however I use Invisiframe for carbon mountain bike frames and their kits are second to none. Virtually invisible when installed correctly (which I get a local bike shop to do)

The powder coat on them is pretty tough. Ours get bashed in the garage and don't have any chips. They will show rust stains at joins from being outside though

Custom cut kit for Brompton:

Your decision on whether the investment is worth it over standard heli tape, however I use Invisiframe for carbon mountain bike frames and their kits are second to none. Virtually invisible when installed correctly (which I get a local bike shop to do)
+1 for invisiframe fitted by one of their dealers.

d409baca46ab9c5113a24eb4ed96406e.jpg

This is the stuff we use on our aircraft, comes in different thicknesses and widths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d409baca46ab9c5113a24eb4ed96406e.jpg

This is the stuff we use on our aircraft, comes in different thicknesses and widths

Is it 3M tape? Do you apply it wet or dry?
I'm currently thinking of buy a roll 3M, being a well known producer of quality tapes. In fact I think I've read they invented helicopter tape.
On our Brompton's, when they arrive. It's turning into like waiting for our California to be delivered! I don't think I will go for a full body kit, but just apply in the very vulnerable places, i.e. where the pedals bang when folded, and where the cables rub. We're paying enough for the bikes, I would hope the quality of the paint will resist a fair amount of normal wear and tear anyway.

How?
Wet or dry application?

So there are a few suppliers, mainly American but these were 3M and AMT but we just demand a stock number and have no idea on which manufacturer will turn up.

Why's it called Helicopter tape?

I've flown in helicopters on many occasions. Don't tell me they're held together with tape. :Nailbiting

We know it at Anti-fretting tape, we all know helicopters are thousands of parts rotating around a oil leak

We know it at Anti-fretting tape, we all know helicopters are thousands of parts rotating around a oil leak

Hmm "Anti fretting tape". Is it to stop the passengers worrying?

I believe it was originally developed to protect the leading edge of composite helicopter rotors from getting worn away by dust & sand.

Helicopter Tape​

Many things that you use on a day-to-day basis originated for military use. This is true for paint protection film. In the mid-1950s during the Vietnam War, the military looked for a way to protect and extend the life of helicopter rotor blades. The rotor blades were being damaged by flying debris during landing and take-off. The military received a solution for their problem in the form of helicopter tape, a thermoplastic urethane that could be applied to rotor blades for protection without hindering performance.