Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello everyone!

NC19

NC19

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We’ve very recently bought a Cali, and have just had our first proper weekend away - it was fabulous. Been lurking here a bit picking up lots of useful info. - what a great community! As far as the Cali is concerned it’s been superb, but it’s approaching the end of the warranty (3 weeks away, I think) and wondering if there are any specifics we should look at? One thing I have noticed is that the Stop / Start works pretty randomly, I.e sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Tips regarding anything to check prior to warranty expiring gratefully received....

Welcome here!
Personal I have no specific idea what to check however I would chat with your „van centre/garage“ to get an idea. I guess it all depends on how you use it eg how many miles/km you have on the clock and what the former owner already checked/repaired and replaced.

Where did you go on your first wknd?

Happy camping!

Hi Sapto, and thanks for your reply. We bought privately from someone who only did a few hundred miles in it, and there was one owner before that who did around 7,000 miles. We’ve done 1000 miles, and no apparent faults other than the intermittent Stop / Start functioning. So it’s low mileage for 3 years old. Leisure batteries seem to drain fairly quickly, but no problems running fridge and lighting overnight, which is the only test they’ve had. Good idea to check in with a dealer, I’ll do that. Re. Your question about our first weekend we went to Shropshire / UK - lovely scenery. Planning a trip through Germany, Austria, Slovenia later in the year, but want to go everywhere! .

Welcome allong .

We’ve very recently bought a Cali, and have just had our first proper weekend away - it was fabulous. Been lurking here a bit picking up lots of useful info. - what a great community! As far as the Cali is concerned it’s been superb, but it’s approaching the end of the warranty (3 weeks away, I think) and wondering if there are any specifics we should look at? One thing I have noticed is that the Stop / Start works pretty randomly, I.e sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Tips regarding anything to check prior to warranty expiring gratefully received....

Stop start may improve if you put the van on hookup for 24hours + and let the batteries get a full charge. It will also need a variety of things to occur for to cut in. E.g. wheels turned may stop it cutting in, air con on may stop it coming on. Engine temperature etc etc. There are a lot of factors that will decide if it comes in. However keeping batteries in tip top condition will enable it to come in more effectively.

Check for roof corrosion although to be honest they are now doing a recall even after the 3 year warranty (6 year body and corrosion warranty) so you should be safe.

Check all your window blinds return/stay down correctly its a big job to remove them if not.

As you are the third owner and obviously you cannot be fully aware of all the history of it.
I would specifically ask your dealer to look at the pop up roof seal. Your Cali was built in June 2016 (I calculate from what you said above) and that means your roof wont have the protection tape applied. This was only applied from Dec 16 onwards so you should be proactive about this check.
To rely on VW to do this (recall or no recall) would be a mistake in my view.
Let us know how you get on.

Hi Sapto, and thanks for your reply. Re. Your question about our first weekend we went to Shropshire / UK - lovely scenery. Planning a trip through Germany, Austria, Slovenia later in the year, but want to go everywhere! .
You’ve got some nice destinations in mind! Plenty of ideas here. Been in these countries: Love them, although they are all different.
Keep us posted!

If approaching the end of the 3 year warranty then an MOT will also be due. Get it done as soon as possible so that if any problems are raised the warranty is still valid.

Stop start may improve if you put the van on hookup for 24hours + and let the batteries get a full charge. It will also need a variety of things to occur for to cut in. E.g. wheels turned may stop it cutting in, air con on may stop it coming on. Engine temperature etc etc. There are a lot of factors that will decide if it comes in. However keeping batteries in tip top condition will enable it to come in more effectively.
Very informative, thanks! Went out tonight and it was working well, maybe fully charged after 200 mile run on Monday.

As you are the third owner and obviously you cannot be fully aware of all the history of it.
I would specifically ask your dealer to look at the pop up roof seal. Your Cali was built in June 2016 (I calculate from what you said above) and that means your roof wont have the protection tape applied. This was only applied from Dec 16 onwards so you should be proactive about this check.
To rely on VW to do this (recall or no recall) would be a mistake in my view.
Let us know how you get on.
Thanks, will do, and yes, it was built June ‘16

Welcome NC19, give us a piccy of the new addition