Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Dorset

Westie82

Westie82

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi Guys,

Should have really posted here first before doing a tech thread, anyhow "Hello" from Dorset! as of 2 weeks ago I am now a very happy owner of a 1993 California :).

Thanks to those who have help with my night heater post, still working my way around the van but can't wait to get away in her :happy.

Westie82.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome , my brother in law ( lives in France)owns a white t4 ....keep forgetting what year it is.
They just keep running!

Hi Westie82, and welcome.

I bought my 1992 Westfalia California poptop two weeks ago too! I posted a 'Hi' on the main introductions board with a few photos.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I live in Poole and get out to the Purbecks whenever I get the chance.

Stuart

Hi Westie82, and welcome.

I bought my 1992 Westfalia California poptop two weeks ago too! I posted a 'Hi' on the main introductions board with a few photos.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I live in Poole and get out to the Purbecks whenever I get the chance.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Can't beat the Purbecks! like yourself I am still getting familiar with the van and sorting out a few minor teething problems, other than that my first trip is going to have to be Woolacombe, North Devon.

Last edited:
Hi Stuart,

I'm in Broadstone, will have to meet up for a pint and talk VW's lol

Can't beat the Purbecks! like yourself I am still getting familiar with the van and sorting out a few minor teething problems, other than that my first trip is going to have to be Woolacombe, North Devon.

Mark
Not far away at all, yes a beer sometime would be good.

I'm off work tomorrow and the weather looks promising, so it's over to the Purbecks again and play with the new toy:)

Welcome, Mark and Stuart.
Great to see a few more T4's on the site.

Stuart, just to let you know, Dan likes to consider his van, "The oldest T4 westie in the UK"
So you may find him wanting to know the build date of yours, he wont want to lose that "Title!":bananadance

Hehe, think there's an older one, can't remember where I saw it though.

@calibusje has the oldest one on the forum I think, registered a week or so earlier.

These days I just hold the "most unreliable" and "most dented" titles :eek:

Good to see more Westies on the forum :)
dan

It looks nice and un-mollested which is a rare sight these days. Which engine have you got in your baby?

:thumb Matt

It looks nice and un-mollested which is a rare sight these days. Which engine have you got in your baby?

:thumb Matt

Hi Matt,

She is fitted with a 2.0 ACC petrol which I gather was fitted to the Golf's. I've heard that it's basically a de-tuned golf engine specifically for the T4.

Last edited:
Hehe, think there's an older one, can't remember where I saw it though.

@calibusje has the oldest one on the forum I think, registered a week or so earlier.

These days I just hold the "most unreliable" and "most dented" titles :eek:

Good to see more Westies on the forum :)
dan

Dan,

Is the title for the earliest "Wesite" done on the registration or the actual build date as per the VIN ?

Last edited:
was going on the 1st registration date, which was May 91. I think mine came off VW's line in September '90, van number 9k and something, AAB engine is 3k and something.

While there is a slighly geeky cool to that, I have learnt over the years that having a very early van is a pain, they changed quite a bit in the first few years. Early AAB engines are different to later ones, different radiators (so presumably different front crossmembers), different trailing arms, even the HP fuel lines are different.

If I was buying again I wouldn't go so early.

But I definitely do have the most dents (and now a cracked bumper where I failed to see a bollard behind me!).

was going on the 1st registration date, which was May 91. I think mine came off VW's line in September '90, van number 9k and something, AAB engine is 3k and something.

While there is a slighly geeky cool to that, I have learnt over the years that having a very early van is a pain, they changed quite a bit in the first few years. Early AAB engines are different to later ones, different radiators (so presumably different front crossmembers), different trailing arms, even the HP fuel lines are different.

If I was buying again I wouldn't go so early.

But I definitely do have the most dents (and now a cracked bumper where I failed to see a bollard behind me!).
Handy to know the earlier AAB's were different. My Syncro back in the UK is a 96 AAB. I've got all the bits to turbo it now. All I need now is time. Just changed the exhaust to a stainless steel and its transformed it already. The old box must have been collapsed.

The main engine differences are that the early engine has separate aux and power steering belts, so a double pulley. the PS pump is in a different location and the aux belt is a v-belt, tensioned by the alternator, not sure if they went to toothed on later AABs? The cam belt is tensioned by the water pump rather than a tensioner. cylinder #3 has a different HP fuel line as well, luckily available through VW classic parts (guess which one failed?!).

Due to all that, the crank case is different.

I've just been trying to sell all the turbo bits on eBay, but no luck (prob because I don't want to post them). de turbo'd mine when it was rebuilt. Can't say I notice the difference, but I think it was running a quite low pressure and my engine had had a troubled childhood.

Fitted a PPT stainless exhaust a couple years ago, find it a bit boomy. Central silencer is stronger than the box of firewood I was storing under the van though...

Welcome Westie82...

I love it down in Dorset, try and get there 4-5 times a year. Good coffee and breakfasts down at the Cafe in Kimmeridge.
Also got a white westie, will keep my eyes peeled for you!

CB

Hello also from me in Poole. I am biased but when the sun is shining there's no better place to enjoy ones California in and around Dorset.
5107e27564630c989516d9ac9c2e768f.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hello also from me in Poole. I am biased but when the sun is shining there's no better place to enjoy ones California in and around Dorset.
5107e27564630c989516d9ac9c2e768f.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more, even if it's a quick drive down Sandbanks for a cuppa overlooking the bay!