Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from NE Scotland

TravellinJones

TravellinJones

VIP Member
Hello all from some proud new California owners.

After a few months spent scouring this forum and the classifieds we recently picked up our ‘new’ Cali. We had considered many other options (including a 2006 4motion which we got some help with here) but in the end opted for:

- 180PS California
- 12 plate (pre-reg)
- Black (VW code 2T2T or 2H2H I think – can’t remember which)
- Awning
- Privacy Glass
- F&R Parking Sensors
- Towbar
- Some other minor options that were of no particular interest…

Our compromise was to priorities age over 4WD – time will tell if that was the right decision…

Anyway, this weekend we had our first overnight trip. We nipped over the Lecht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A939_road) to Inverness to stock up on gas, etc, at Go Outdoors (one of many top tips seen here) then decided, despite an ominous sky, to strike out West for Applecross. Crossed over the Bealach na Ba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bealach_na_B%C3%A0) no problem, although a potentially stunning photo opportunity was lost due to the low cloud and general gloom.

Foolishly spent too long eating at the Applecross Inn (even with a kitchen to play with in the van this is not an opportunity to be missed) and had to set up camp in the dark. Thankfully the wind was not howling, and our (Mutze) topper and (TaylorMade) windscreen cover were pretty straightforward to set up (should really have opened the bags before we set off though…). Wild camped at roadside just South of the beach of TV fame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall ... eat_Escape) - fine views despite the military complex the BBC chose to edit out...

Came back via same route, stopping off at Culbin Forest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culbin_San ... ndhorn_Bay) to stretch our legs (weekend was all about the Cali so spent it mostly sat in there). Next away trip planned for a long weekend middle of this month – can’t wait!

Regrets so far:
1. Not just doing it sooner.
2. Not taking any pans with us this weekend other than a tiny thing for heating up the wee man’s gruel.

Questions so far:
1. Many people mention on here that you can fit a Mutze Cap / Cali Topper in the tailgate along with the camping seats. I’m maybe being a bit precious about all 3, but it isn’t obvious to me that this can be easily achieved. Anybody got a good description or photo that shows this?
2. Any of our fellow Scots frequent forestry commission car parks as wild camping spots? Many of these look ideal for stop-overs, it this frowned upon, or more to the point, policed?

Anyway, hello everybody - and thanks for all the help directly and indirectly provided to date.

TravellinJones

Here is my mutze and awning sides

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1362404322231.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1362404354782.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1362404368252.jpg

Those photos are exactly what I was looking for - thanks Kev.

I shall 'persuade' mine to do the same safe in the knowledge that this is a big round, but malleable, peg that does fit in that narrow rectangular hole.

I find it easier if I dont fold it up to small flat is best :thumb

Welcome ! That sounds like a fab first outing to Applecross. I agree that with the Applecross Inn on your doorstep it's too good an opportunity not to make the most of it !

I'm based near Stirling and have often wild camped in 'known' (eg Glen Etive) and surreptitious (eg a cracking spot near Arisaig) wild camping spots. In my experience as long as you leave no trace, are sensible and are alert to others around you there are no issues. FCC car parks are similarly fine - I stayed at Linn of Dee in the autumn. Lots of walkers so no issues as long as you behave sensibly.

I find that more and more laybys have no overnight camping signs. Arisaig/Morar is a nightmare for instance. But it does vary. I've used Google Earth to find good spots in the past.

Back