Not open for further replies.
WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
With the advent of the Coronavirus Outbreak there have been some interesting off court developments.

1.Pollution levels over China have been significantly decreased.

Screenshot 2020-03-04 at 08.34.57.jpg

2. The banning of ALL Wet Markets, markets common in China, that sell live and dead wild animals will have a very significant on the world wide trade in endangered animals.

3. A number of airlines have announced significant reductions in flights which will have an international effect on world wide pollution levels.

4. Encouragement of Home Working will likewise have an impact on pollution levels in the western world.

All the above are eminently desirable to some degree. BUT less desirable or not depending on your point of view.

a. The Syrian War. The effect could be catastrophic for both sides.

b. Afghanistan similarity.

c. Refugees from all conflicts

d. Economic migrants

e. Sub-equator countries - excluding Australia and New Zealand - could be devastated because of the lack of medical facilities and here the Death Rate could be 20% or so.

Or do you subscribe to the Gaia Theory that this is Mother Earth Resetting.

The Gaia hypothesis posits that the Earth is a self-regulating complex system involving the biosphere, the atmosphere, the hydrospheres and the pedosphere, tightly coupled as an evolving system. The hypothesis contends that this system as a whole, called Gaia, seeks a physical and chemical environment optimal for contemporary life.[13]

Gaia evolves through a cybernetic feedback system operated unconsciously by the biota, leading to broad stabilization of the conditions of habitability in a full homeostasis. Many processes in the Earth's surface essential for the conditions of life depend on the interaction of living forms, especially microorganisms, with inorganic elements. These processes establish a global control system that regulates Earth's surface temperature, atmosphere composition and ocean salinity, powered by the global thermodynamic disequilibrium state of the Earth system.[14]

The existence of a planetary homeostasis influenced by living forms had been observed previously in the field of biogeochemistry, and it is being investigated also in other fields like Earth system science. The originality of the Gaia hypothesis relies on the assessment that such homeostatic balance is actively pursued with the goal of keeping the optimal conditions for life, even when terrestrial or external events menace them

The change in pollution levels is interesting,
An article in the evening standard last night suggested more home working= higher pollution as all those that would normally use public transport will now be heating their homes throughout the day with no corresponding reduction in transport emissions.

War decimates the younger generation but this could end up doing the reverse.

War decimates the younger generation but this could end up doing the reverse.
And I guess if taking a dispassionate view, reducing the population by culling the older generation only gives a short term dip in total numbers as they would have died relatively soon anyway, whereas the war scenario resets levels by partially removing a generation and their potential offspring.

Interesting observations.

Could a virus inflicted cull of the older generation and those with pre-existing medical conditions have a positive economic impact?

Could a virus inflicted cull of the older generation and those with pre-existing medical conditions have a positive economic impact?
Greta would probably agree, although the older generation are better at recycling than her generation.

Certainly help a few pension schemes (mine included) to reduce their deficits and reduce costs of state funded care.

Logged in for some light hearted reading. Thank goodness I can get away this weekend :)

Death is never fun and China has a lot to answer for.

Not if you are one of the older generation or one of those with pre-existing conditions. Although I guess my family might benefit from the insurance payout! :thumb

Certainly help a few pension schemes (mine included) to reduce their deficits and reduce costs of state funded care.

My dad retired at 60 on 2/3 final salary. He is now 85 years old and his pension has risen by 5% every year for 25 years. If my back of envelope calculations are correct he now has an income 2.25 times greater than his 1995 final salary. My hope is that he will live to be 110, distributing his excess income to his four sons and 12 grandchildren annually.

My dad retired at 60 on 2/3 final salary. He is now 85 years old and his pension has risen by 5% every year for 25 years. If my back of envelope calculations are correct he now has an income 2.25 times greater than his 1995 final salary. My hope is that he will live to be 110, distributing his excess income to his four sons and 12 grandchildren annually.
Blimey, I thought my indexed linked pension was good but 5% pa is pretty impressive especially with 2/3 of final salary.

You may wish to reword the last four lines of the post, it does not reflect well on you as a person.

I have a 91 year old mother, and we are all thankful for every week that passes, that she is still with us, rather than thinking what money we can either get from her while she is alive or after she is gone.

You may wish to reword the last four lines of the post, it does not reflect well on you as a person.

I have a 91 year old mother, and we are all thankful for every week that passes, that she is still with us, rather than thinking what money we can either get from her while she is alive or after she is gone.
I lost both my parents within 4 days of each other last April. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss them but without their passing we would never had been able to afford our Cali build an extension and pay a big ol chunk of the mortgage off. It was my Mum who said to do these things,to enjoy what I was fortunate enough to be left in their will. She even planned out part of the extension. Miss them like crazy but they have already bought my family closer together since passing

Well my pathetic little SIPP is getting battered :headbang

In case there is any doubt - Dad's 80th birthday treat. A three day charter from Falmouth to Salcombe with his four sons.
1583348201105.png

And dad aged 84 sailing solo the Mirror he built in 1969.
1583348306774.png

I'm sure those who know me will know my comments are tongue-in-cheek.

My father built me a Mirror for my 7th birthday, also bright yellow. Set me off on a shared lifelong love of sailing. At 81 I haven't taken him out on this though....View attachment 55971
What a fantastic looking boat.

As boys we graduated from Mirrors to a Fireball as pubescent hormones dictated a greater adrenalin rush, but only very occasionally when hitting a freak wave in exactly the right way did we get airborne.

I'm now looking forward to introducing my boys (5 & 6) to the Optimist this year, and maybe the three of us will get out in the Mirror.

OT but my father built a Mirror in the 60's sail number 6468, sailed it for years self taught, used it as a camping trailer and all sorts..

OT but my father built a Mirror in the 60's sail number 6468, sailed it for years self taught, used it as a camping trailer and all sorts..
Our mirror is 17972. Is your dad still sailing his mirror? As far as I know, Dad's mirror has been sailed every year since 1969.

Our mirror is 17972. Is your dad still sailing his mirror? As far as I know, Dad's mirror has been sailed every year since 1969.
No he sold it in the 70's and moved on to a Hurley Felicity, also long gone, I kept up the sailing thing cut my teeth on an old GP14 and now sail a Moody 27 on the Welsh coast.

No he sold it in the 70's and moved on to a Hurley Felicity, also long gone, I kept up the sailing thing cut my teeth on an old GP14 and now sail a Moody 27 on the Welsh coast.
We had a GP14. Dad would take us on whole family day trips to Bembridge on the Isle of Wight occasionally. Being squirting out of Chichester Harbour at 8am on a falling tide, picnic lunch on the dunes at Bembridge, and being sucked back in to Chichester Harbour at 6pm on the following rising tide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back