Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Norway

Hi all,

I've just found this forum from a link on the T4-Forum so I thought I'd give it a bash. I'm from North Yorkshire now but I live in Norway. We toured round Norway last year in my Syncro and I wanted to import it into Norway but the crazy rules they have would have meant be forking out the best part of 6 grand in tax (Sod that!). Handily a T4 California Exclusive came up for sale just up the road from where we live so we've snapped it up and boy am I a happy chappy! I'd never seen these before I came to Norway when I followed one near Odda and I loved them and their oddness. This one has only just cracked 100miles so its just a baby still. I cant wait to get out in it before the snow comes. I've been reading up on this forum and the T4 forum on their faults and good points but any assistance always comes in handy.

Cheers all.
Matt

T4 California by Matt Wilde, on Flickr
Hi and welcome! Love T4’s. What’s your instagram name,so I can follow you

Hi all,

I've just found this forum from a link on the T4-Forum so I thought I'd give it a bash. I'm from North Yorkshire now but I live in Norway. We toured round Norway last year in my Syncro and I wanted to import it into Norway but the crazy rules they have would have meant be forking out the best part of 6 grand in tax (Sod that!). Handily a T4 California Exclusive came up for sale just up the road from where we live so we've snapped it up and boy am I a happy chappy! I'd never seen these before I came to Norway when I followed one near Odda and I loved them and their oddness. This one has only just cracked 100miles so its just a baby still. I cant wait to get out in it before the snow comes. I've been reading up on this forum and the T4 forum on their faults and good points but any assistance always comes in handy.

Cheers all.
Matt

T4 California by Matt Wilde, on Flickr
Hi Matt - was the T4 California Club made by Westfalia (who made the original California as well before VW took it in-house). This still lives on as the Westfalia Club Joker and can still be bought new for a price which makes a two tone, four motion, 204 DSG Ocean with every extra fitted look cheap. They look a lot warmer than a pop-top so very sensible for Norway - do you find the extra height restrictive - are there many car parks you can't get into ?

Hi Matt - was the T4 California Club made by Westfalia (who made the original California as well before VW took it in-house). This still lives on as the Westfalia Club Joker and can still be bought new for a price which makes a two tone, four motion, 204 DSG Ocean with every extra fitted look cheap. They look a lot warmer than a pop-top so very sensible for Norway - do you find the extra height restrictive - are there many car parks you can't get into ?

Hi, the club was the SWB and this is the exclusive which was LWB and a different layout with the toilet in the back. They were the last of the Westfalia made Californias. You get a little plaque near the door.

33689175138_fefaa850e1_k.jpg

They were marketed as winterised and the roof is proper insulated. It's great on the cold nights in -20 when I sit waiting for the northern lights.

40766000744_41e500fdfa_k.jpg

The extra height isn't too bad. There's not many multi storey car parks where we are. We've got a garage tall enough to store it too. I'm 2m tall so the height inside is perfect.

27782973679_d11a84abab_k.jpg

Last edited:
Cool van matt, try campervan culture, they sell westfalia decals

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cool van matt, try campervan culture, they sell westfalia decals

That was a good few years ago that post. The decals I got are already coming off with the extreme cold. Might need some more soon. I won't miss the exclusive decal though. Always thought it was the worst decal ever. Not sure if it was VW or Westfalia who came up with it

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Haha my bad, I didnt check the date. Yeah the exclusive font/style decal wasnt the smartest they produced. Maybe your exclusive could be more exclusive by not running an exclusive decal

Haha my bad, I didnt check the date. Yeah the exclusive font/style decal wasnt the smartest they produced. Maybe your exclusive could be more exclusive by not running an exclusive decal

I'd hidden it for ages under one of those daft bonnet bras but I got bored and changed back to going topless. Might try and get a new one made up perhaps.

48298055451_88be9628bd_c.jpg

Now it looks like this with a few other bits sorted too

48629572237_dd946d71e3_c.jpg

Last edited:
We used to have a descendent of your van - a Westfalia Club Joker City - pop up version of the hard top - with a fixed toilet, shower and permanent kitchen area plus hot water heater so capable of being off the grid - but on cold nights in winter your insulated hard top cannot be beat. We have just bought a California Ocean but the idea of a smurf Westfalia is maybe still for the future.IMG_1074.JPG

Back