Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Porto, Portugal

BJC

BJC

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello all VW California lovers! This forum (and shop website) is amazing. Thank you.
My name is Barbara. I’m about to buy a T5 Cali 2.5 130hp from 2007 in a surprisingly good state. I hope I can find and share here tips to make it last another life in my hands.
If you have any recommendation about this model, let me know. Cheers

:welcome Hi Barbara and welcome.
Have you searched already on the forum for the T5 130hp model? I’m not sure which years, but there are threads relating to problems in one of the models. Maybe worth checking out. Or hopefully someone more knowledgeable will point us in the right direction.

Reactions: BJC
Welcome Barbara!
Great time ahead!
We've got a slightly older model from 2005 (SE, 2.5 Tdi and also 130 ho) with 195k km and we use it, we fix the fix what have to be fixed and sometimes it's a little more expensive (changed some parts of the turbo last year) and sometimes it's the regular things.
5b90447386699f436af82c8599743a9d.jpg

Happy camping!

Hello all VW California lovers! This forum (and shop website) is amazing. Thank you.
My name is Barbara. I’m about to buy a T5 Cali 2.5 130hp from 2007 in a surprisingly good state. I hope I can find and share here tips to make it last another life in my hands.
If you have any recommendation about this model, let me know. Cheers
Hello Barbara and welcome to the forum.

If I am right, the t5 130 is a bullet proof 5 cyl engine. If I Am wrong, someone will come and correct me. Drive the vehicle and see how it feels, check with the owner on the work that they have got done such as regular service and other recalls etc and if maintained well, that is a peach of an engine in that 5cyl 130.

Also, what a beautiful place you live in. We were there last year (yes, last year, when there was a break in all the lockdowns etc.) and had a great time. What a character that place has - Porto! one place we will not forget as me and my wife also celebrated out 25th wedding anniversary there.

Thank you all for your welcoming reception here! It’s official, we bought the van! I’m now a happy and proud Cali owner.
The previous owner changed the clutch last year as well as the 2 pop-top hydraulics. He also installed a solar panel! We have a full history of inspection done in VW services until 2018.
Despite it is in a very good condition, we are considering doing a deep cleaning inside. At the same time we’ll get to know better the details.
I have a doubt. How do you recommend cleaning the pop-top canvas?
Again, thank you all!
Bárbara

Hello Barbara and welcome to the forum.

If I am right, the t5 130 is a bullet proof 5 cyl engine. If I Am wrong, someone will come and correct me. Drive the vehicle and see how it feels, check with the owner on the work that they have got done such as regular service and other recalls etc and if maintained well, that is a peach of an engine in that 5cyl 130.

Also, what a beautiful place you live in. We were there last year (yes, last year, when there was a break in all the lockdowns etc.) and had a great time. What a character that place has - Porto! one place we will not forget as me and my wife also celebrated out 25th wedding anniversary there.
I’m glad you enjoyed it. It’s a special city indeed. Portugal is a small country but with an endless diversity of landscapes and culture, with a van here, it never gets boring:) hope you can come often.

Welcome Barbara. I can’t remember where I saw it but you can get special cleaner for pop top material. Have you tried Googling it?

I have a doubt. How do you recommend cleaning the pop-top canvas?
A wet cloth is the best for cleaning the poptop. You can wash the outside with plain water. Damp cloth to wipe the inside if required. Do not use chemicals. Leave it open to dry and then close the poptop. Good to open and air it once in a while.

If wet when closing upon leaving a camping site, when you get home, open and air it out.

There is a recommendation to use a waterproofing material on the canvas, but the old poptop canvas is more durable than the new ones and therefore does not need any special care. If it ever leaks, then you can start to use waterproofing material.

I’m glad you enjoyed it. It’s a special city indeed. Portugal is a small country but with an endless diversity of landscapes and culture, with a van here, it never gets boring:) hope you can come often.

Thank you. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope to visit sometime again.

Back