Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from us in Germany/Henley

Brian Schulz

Brian Schulz

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi Folks,
We’re new to the club but have posted just now pics of our 2001 (long front) Westfalia California Generation
Hope you like them.(see section under photos)77580EF0-09D2-48B2-9BF1-CE46EF83989D.jpeg089A401E-7E4A-4898-84D9-AEA47A839F48.jpeg
All the best.

Welcome on board , those T4 just keep running , hope my 2012 SE does also!

Welcome! I keep seeing photos of people parking their vans in grassy fields etc. Do the T4s drive well enough off-road?

:welcome

I just wanted to ask the same question as slyfb. It seems that the grass was rather high, but I guess dry.

The other day we got stuck just on a hard shoulder covered with very short, but wet grass. I really struggled to get out (obviously two wheel drive). At that point I wished I had 4x4. Obviously I can't have that, so the plan is to change the tyres to something more appropriate than the standard VW van summer tyres. But this might take a while, I just have 6,650 km on the clock.

Welcome. Peach of a van. It would be interesting to know what you’ve replaced/fixed etc in 17 years?

Welcome. Peach of a van. It would be interesting to know what you’ve replaced/fixed etc in 17 years?
Hi there, yea, just love her, bought her in Germany 6 months old , after 4 yrs the a/c compressor packed up, I went to a German dealer ( I bought her privately )
they were surprised and said “ leave it with us we check,”on my return expecting a bill ( out of guarantee ) it was replaced free of charge after they’d been in touch with VW! Since then only serviced every 2 years in Germany, 2 year oil etc, then
after 7 years (although Klms didn’t dictate a change) I Had all timing belts changed, discs and pads/ tyres / battery,&exhaust replaced as they became nessesary
nothing has been troublesome until this year when I made a huge mistake!
Twice a year I drive the 1200klms to Southern Germany and this time (2017) I decided to fly and leave her on my friends farm parked on grass with an outdoor super cover, my farmer friend said no probs I move her after a couple of weeks inside, evidently, last winter UK it pissed down so he didn’t move it, a RAT crawled deep up the exhaust requiring a complete exhaust system after it took yonks to assertain the reason for non starting! However, I replaced the starter battery the second one was now 11 years old anyway, that’s just about it, I’m now buying a new set of tyres ( Goodyear cargo vector 2 104 load rating arm and a leg,) but reckon she deserves it, I’ve used her over the years towing my dive boat and although she’s only 102PS i could use a bit more “umph” on the long uphill. All the best.

:welcome

I just wanted to ask the same question as slyfb. It seems that the grass was rather high, but I guess dry.

The other day we got stuck just on a hard shoulder covered with very short, but wet grass. I really struggled to get out (obviously two wheel drive). At that point I wished I had 4x4. Obviously I can't have that, so the plan is to change the tyres to something more appropriate than the standard VW van summer tyres. But this might take a while, I just have 6,650 km on the clock.
That's what I'm afraid of so I've yet to venture off the roads. Do tyres really make that much difference do you think?

I honestly believe that tyres are very important. Even the best 4x4 will get stuck quite soon if there are for high speed optimized tyres installed. Also I believe that a 2x wheel drive van with appropriate tyres can achieve more than the 4x4 mentioned earlier.

What I am not sure is, what is the "most appropriate tyre"? I believe this is an old question. On the one side it suppose to be secure and quite on tarmac, but has some grip off tarmac.

If all seasons tyres are the way forward I am not sure yet. I need to read up more about it, maybe talk to my VW dealer as well.

Eberhard