Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello, I now have my new Cali Ocean on my drive. There are a lot of things to learn!!!

C

Croydongirl

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Thanks to those of you who helped me when I was trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy a new van unseen and with no chance of a handover due to Covid restrictions. The company were as helpful as they could be given the circumstances - but we are now going to be learning as we go along. And sheesh -there is a lot to learn! We have been out for a first day trip and tried out the satnav etc, but have not slept in it yet as we need to stock up on a bit of kit and decide what to do about the all important potty question!!
California Chris videos are coming in very useful so far.
One question - is there an alternative to getting a purpose built step ladder to get up into the roof? I gather one cannot stand on the armrest but we do need a boost of about 6 inches.
Thanks

Congratulations that you’ve had your Cali delivered - I wish you all the happiness with your new adventures ahead. I might be wrong but I think you can stand on the arm rest.... but my Cali hasn’t been delivered yet so I guess I’m not a ‘qualified helper’!

Congratulations that you’ve had your Cali delivered - I wish you all the happiness with your new adventures ahead. I might be wrong but I think you can stand on the arm rest.... but my Cali hasn’t been delivered yet so I guess I’m not a ‘qualified helper’!
I wouldn’t advise using the arm rest, you will break it.
I climb up by standing on the edge of the seat then using the top of the back rest for a final push up.

I wouldn’t advise using the arm rest, you will break it.
I climb up by standing on the edge of the seat then using the top of the back rest for a final push up.
Thank you My T - A good thing someone else has asked this question before my Cali is delivered!

Is it possible to stand on a Thetford porta potti? That would kill 2 birds with one stone providing the convenience of a potty and a boost into the upper sleeping compartment.

I reckon 90% of us manage the ascent without any equipment. Another 8‰ bought a ladder so want to use it. 1% really need a ladder. The other 1% got up and can't get down and haven't been heard from in a while.
Don't stand on the armrest. You may get away with it at the joint, but not further down, but it's generally not necessary.

:welcome Croydon girl,

The secret to accessing the upper bed is lots of alcohol, but you won’t remember how you did it in the morning!

edit: it’s easier than you think! Think face plant !

Is it possible to stand on a Thetford porta potti? That would kill 2 birds with one stone providing the convenience of a potty and a boost into the upper sleeping compartment.
but that will not fit between the two seats ... and, no, it is too low for that purpose - lower than the seat sides :thumb

Also don’t stand in the middle of the seat as it can damage the heated seat.
Telescopic ladder for me works brilliantly.
Congrats on your new van!

but that will not fit between the two seats ... and, no, it is too low for that purpose - lower than the seat sides :thumb
OP said they only needed a 6" boost, I assume so they can stand on the corner of the seat. I don't think it needs to fit between the seats to be useful.

I am 5ft 5 ins but really wish I had an extra 2 inches in height. It would make all the difference in both accessing the top bed and also pulling down the top bunk prior to lowering the roof. For the latter I have to stand on tip toes and jump a bit.
I have a ladder but frankly think the chance Is greater doing myself injury if it, or I slipped.
Meanwhile I am continuing with the Pilates to try and build my upper body strength

OP said they only needed a 6" boost, I assume so they can stand on the corner of the seat. I don't think it needs to fit between the seats to be useful.
Don't overthink it, a plastic folding portable step will give you enough height when positioned on the seat, multiple other uses, takes up next to no room, £10 will buy one from camping shops/Amazon etc.

Thanks to those of you who helped me when I was trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy a new van unseen and with no chance of a handover due to Covid restrictions. The company were as helpful as they could be given the circumstances - but we are now going to be learning as we go along. And sheesh -there is a lot to learn! We have been out for a first day trip and tried out the satnav etc, but have not slept in it yet as we need to stock up on a bit of kit and decide what to do about the all important potty question!!
California Chris videos are coming in very useful so far.
One question - is there an alternative to getting a purpose built step ladder to get up into the roof? I gather one cannot stand on the armrest but we do need a boost of about 6 inches.
Thanks

Hey Croydongirl, congrats on your new wheels!! Don’t forget to post the all important pics!!
Have fun and enjoy!!

I usually spin the drivers seat only. This means I can stand on that seat and get a leg up on the top of passenger backrest.
We only tend to have 3 sat in the van. Even if it’s raining I tend to take the dad position cowering under the awning.

I find the best thing to do is to remain terribly calm, open a bottle of wine, pour a glass, think it through then pour another glass for courage.

Then you will be able to stand on the edge of the seat turned round, use the "shoulders" of the seat not turned round for leverage, get one's butt on to the edge of the bed and squirm in.

Of course depending upon the size of wine glass you might just fall into a crumpled heap half way through in which case I would recommend pouring another glass before opting to sleep downstairs. :shocked

These are great. Better than a flushing lump because it is light and collapsible
https://www.amazon.co.uk/your-order...es=&returnUnitMappingId=&shipmentId=DwhTrnLD3
Thanks for reply- but it won't let me look at your Order oage 66tim99...?Tim? Shame I could have made a few extra orders of kit ;-)

Hope yours comes soon Lucy

Back