Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello

Jay586

Jay586

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Contemplating a Beach for me, lovely husband & many mutts.

Currently attempting to get my head around the cost, trying to work out the value to us. However, short breaks are quite hard with dogs & I like camping in theory...hmm...

Great forum!

Welcome , don't start thinking to much ....just go for it!

Initially expensive but just look at the resale value and how cheap a weekend break is. Plus factor in the amount of cheap weekends you can have and hey presto seems like good value.

As always "man-maths" wins any argument to spend money on new toys

I think like that but lovely bloke is *careful*. It's a bit of a jump from our current van, very cheap & cheerful.

Hello and welcome! There are many posts about regretting not buying a Cali earlier, however I can understand the financial questions. I can imagine it is a hard decision esp. with dogs and there are great members with dogs and I am sure they like to share their thoughts.

Been trying to find a vehicle that will accommodate their box. They are great travellers, good dogs.

I don't think the box will fit but it's been nice to see all the pics if dogs on the shelf.

I think like that but lovely bloke is *careful*. It's a bit of a jump from our current van, very cheap & cheerful.
This is good logic. 90% of the fun and cheap weekends can also be had in a very modest van.

Been trying to find a vehicle that will accommodate their box. They are great travellers, good dogs.

I don't think the box will fit but it's been nice to see all the pics if dogs on the shelf.
There is a section on Cali dogs on this forum, also quite a few posts re boxes, transporting dogs safely etc.

This is good logic. 90% of the fun and cheap weekends can also be had in a very modest van.
It's an actual small panel van, bought it as it was cheaper than getting a big car. We both love it but it's not for sleeping in.

I have a beach, owned for a little over a year now. We are still learning about it but have not regretted it. It actually cost more a month than my mortgage and I was really unsure if it was but I am glad I did for many reasons.

Cost:

Firstly the residuals on a van like this are pretty amazing, you won't get much slower depreciation other than with some ultra rare vehicle. I feel safe that if I needed to, I could sell it quickly and without much trouble.

Uses:
We have 2 medium sized dogs and like camping. I use it as a daily driver, its my car for work and fits in most car parks without 2m or lower height restrictions.
We have used it to move furniture (I'm not so keen on this because the van is my precious), transported kayaks and bikes.
We've gone for days out and long dog walks and of course full 2 week holidays.
Its been a mobile makeup station for photoshoots and with the addition of the heater is an all weather adventure station..

Camping:
When we camp, we tend to sleep in the roof now but we have slept downstairs. There isn't really enough floor space for the dogs to sleep on the floor with the lower bed out (because we have a waeco fridge) but the full width bed has enough room for us and our two spaniels. If you have really big dogs it will be more of a challenge perhaps but is useable.

One of the upsides of the beach is that huge full width bed and more living space but this is also a downside potentially no cooking facilities etc. It has taken us quite a while to work this part out, but decision was easier because we didnt want to cook in the van anyway. Eventually I will get a slidepod I believe.

There are loads of threads on this stuff in more detail worth having a look around.

Should also add the dogs already love the van, Rudy one of ours will get in the van at every opportunity and refuse to get out. Can be awkward if Im trying to go to work. :D

I genuinely think for holidaying with dogs, the campervan lifestyle really suits our 4 legged friends. Our two definitely had post holiday blues recently when we got home.

One of the dogs is scared of noises and getting very bad, so hotels are out. They like camping & trips out. We just like happy dogs, really.

That is an excellent reply, covers most of my worries.

When we first started camping our dogs barked at passers by but they soon stopped that once they got used to how it worked. I think our dogs would prefer to live in the van to be honest. ;)