Hello

PudnBob

PudnBob

No more waiting….let the adventures begin
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi, We are coming back to a campervan after a 25 year break!! Very excitedly waiting for our California ocean and are in the process of planning "must have essentials"
Any top tips, avoids would be very gratefully received, sooo much has changed!!
Do we need the toppers to protect?
Will have a bike rack on the back, which would be the best tailgate awning?
We will be out in all weathers, Cyclists, hikers with a dog too, so researching "keep the interior cool" ideas etc
Looking forward to all your ideas

Welcome , lots to read on the forum on essentials and so called "must haves" but in the end space in a Cali is limited and you need to work out what is essential for you.
Don't know how you camped before (you say campervan)

Here's a smal impresion in a older tread on how we are setlled , alltough the tread needs to be updated as some minor things changed in time .
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/inside-the-hotel-california-for-your-eyes-only.9776/

Welcome , lots to read on the forum on essentials and so called "must haves" but in the end space in a Cali is limited and you need to work out what is essential for you.
Don't know how you camped before (you say campervan)

Here's a smal impresion in a older tread on how we are setlled , alltough the tread needs to be updated as some minor things changed in time .
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/inside-the-hotel-california-for-your-eyes-only.9776/
Thankyou!

:welcome Exciting times, plenty to read on this forum re toppers, bike racks etc. When is your Ocean arriving?

Lots of people here seem to have toppers, but we don't feel the need. I should add, though, that there are only the two of us so no-one has to sleep up top in minus temperatures! In the winter we put duck tape over the vents in the roof in the evening to stop the cold wind round our ears (I know, someone's going to nag me about condensation again ...), slept downstairs with the heater ticking over and we were toasty.

Essentials for us are very few. I would recommend some kind of covering for the floor (we just use cheap cotton rugs which can easily be washed) to stop the seat rails getting full of crud, especially if you have hounds.

Bunting, obviously.

Plenty of long usb charger cables for the ubiquitous present phones.

@Verity , those vents are essential , can't understand how- if you don't sleep upstaires - the wind blows round your ears....do you use any other kind of ventilation during night (and during day , coocking)?
Do you sleep with all the windows and doors sealed at home also?

@Verity , those vents are essential , can't understand how- if you don't sleep upstaires - the wind blows round your ears....do you use any other kind of ventilation during night (and during day , coocking)?
Do you sleep with all the windows and doors sealed at home also?
Ha ha I knew the ventilation police would be out for my blood!!!!!

When I'm sitting in the front seats in the evening, if it's a cold and windy night in the winter, yes I do get cold ears from the draught blowing through the vents! I don't like to close the roof as then I get a sore back from bending over the whole time, so I temporarily tape up the vents. It's not perfect, but it stops the howling gales from whooshing through the van (ok, the slight breeze, but you know what I mean).

When we're away in the van, the side door is open a very great deal during the day, so the interior of the van gets plenty of fresh air. We don't cook much inside - just boil the kettle for tea/coffee. We usually cook outside or, if we're on electric hookup, we have a tiny electric oven we sometimes use.

At home I do indeed sleep with all the windows and doors closed in the winter. During the daytime when I'm working in the house/cooking etc I might open a window or two, but at night I like to be cosy. I live in a modern house which is warm and dry, no damp or mould - it's a joy compared with some of the ghastly places I rented when I was young and poor!

:welcome Exciting times, plenty to read on this forum re toppers, bike racks etc. When is your Ocean arriving?
Hopefully at the beginning of August!

Hi, We are coming back to a campervan after a 25 year break!! Very excitedly waiting for our California ocean and are in the process of planning "must have essentials"
Any top tips, avoids would be very gratefully received, sooo much has changed!!
Do we need the toppers to protect?
Will have a bike rack on the back, which would be the best tailgate awning?
We will be out in all weathers, Cyclists, hikers with a dog too, so researching "keep the interior cool" ideas etc
Looking forward to all your ideas
Welcome back PudnBob

I guess we can also learn from your experiences back in 1992. So look forward to read some stories from you.

I like to travel light and easy however with bike this isn't always possible. My personal list of fav things (beside good company&food/bewersge):

- Awening (factoryfitted)
- towbar and Atera DL3
- Cadac Safari Chief
- Hookup
- Calicap (topper)

I also use a:
- Portapotti
- Level ramps
- All kind of kitchenstuff (i like these foldable things)

Too keep inside cool:
- a ventilation thing for the kitchenside widow
- a Brandrup external isolation thing
- a electrical fan (when we stay longer on a camping site)

I guess there are many other opinions and lists with fav things, however I guess what did not changed is: go out, have some fun with this great car/van and everything else is adaptable/buyable.

Cheers
sapto