Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello

R

RobT

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Just received my new California Ocean, never had a campervan before. Can't wait to get started but are there any essentials that people recommend, hook ups, awnings, kitchen stuff? What kind of bedding is best, duvets take up quite a bit of room? Thanks in advance and thanks for accepting me into the club :)
Rob

Just received my new California Ocean, never had a campervan before. Can't wait to get started but are there any essentials that people recommend, hook ups, awnings, kitchen stuff? What kind of bedding is best, duvets take up quite a bit of room? Thanks in advance and thanks for accepting me into the club :)
Rob
Lots of lengthy threads on here with people disagreeing about mattresses. For bedding, we take a double duvet and children have sleeping bags. All goes on back shelf so it’s easy to get out at night.
Recent thread re pots https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/best-pot-set-to-recommend.41651/#post-536187 . We have a ridge monkey (very popular as restricts splashing) and a couple of camping pots. Other kitchen stuff: melamine plates and cups, plastic glasses, cutlery, kettle ……and don’t forget the bottle / can opener!
We bought an electric hook up, but not sure how often we’ll use it. The fridge should run for 2 or 3 days without moving and it’s unlikely we’d stay on site for that long.
It is recommended that the van is plugged in once a month to fully charge the leisure batteries, if possible, so you’ll need a cable for that.

Levelling chocks - some people can’t live without them, but many have bought and never used. Same for drive away awning. Probably best to go away for a few nights before deciding.
Tie down straps for the wind out awning can give peace of mind.

General agreement seems to be to travel light.

:welcome @RobT the key to successful campervaning for us is to travel light and not be tempted to buy lots of stuff, bedding for instance we bought sheets for the Cali but took the duvet off our bed at home figuring no point in buying another.

Just start off with the basics and see what works for you.

Last edited:
I maybe rushed into the post with my excitement :0.
I've found loads of stuff in the forum but thanks for the useful and speedy replies.
We're going away soon in it for a few days so we'll see how we get on travelling light and using my old camping stuff.

Hello there
Small double sheet from dunelm. Dove grey matches the van.

Welcome Rob

Great adventures ahead! As mentioned before: Try to do camping with the stuff you already have at home, sort out, add new, start little, save money for trips rather than the newest duvet?

Enjoy!