Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Faulty Fridge - Do Not Worry

My fridge in my 2012 cali has always been a little temperamental. I can always get it to work by adjusting the main control panel settings but it sometimes allows everything inside the fridge to warm up before chilling again. I feel the problem is more to do with the main California roof mounted panel rather than the Danfoss controller. Does anyone know;
How the California panel interfaces with the Danfoss controller?
Is the panel the thermostat/ main controller and has ultimate control over the fridge. If this is the case the temperature probe must connect to the panel and open and close a no volt contact that would connect across the thermostat connections on the Danfoss.
Hi

Our Cali (late 2011) has recently started doing exactly what you describe it gets to warm befor starting to chill again. Did you fix this if so how.
Thanks

I added a stand alone controller.View attachment 89698Brilliant
Did you wire the power to the standalone in parallel to the pwer supply going to the danfoss unit and then wire the relay contacts across the themostat contacts on the danfoss (and remove the existing wire)? also did you use the themistor already there or cut off and connect in the one that came with the stand alone controller.

Sorry to ask so many questions but you have walked this course and it would help me a lot to learn about the obviously very successful job you have done here (and keep the beers at the right temp)

Thanks

Alistair

Did you wire the power to the standalone in parallel to the pwer supply going to the danfoss unit and then wire the relay contacts across the themostat contacts on the danfoss (and remove the existing wire)? also did you use the themistor already there or cut off and connect in the one that came with the stand alone controller.

Sorry to ask so many questions but you have walked this course and it would help me a lot to learn about the obviously very successful job you have done here (and keep the beers at the right temp)

Thanks

Alistair
It was a few years ago, hope I remember it correctly. I installed a second temperature probe, leaving the original installed. The new controller is connected in parallel with the original so I can use either. I believe the fridge has permanent power, I connected the run signal from the new controller in parallel with the original. The switches under the controller, Left is power on and off, right switches the output/ control on and off so I can use it as a temperature display and not a controller.

I documented the installation of a fan under my fridge here:

See posting #73.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Here you see the wiring of the fan:

1646470986551.jpg
The wing of the fan at the Danfoss controller.

Thanks for all the info I have ordered a temp controller from aliexpress.

In the mean time I have been investigating the problem further.

My problem is that the fridge seems to have lost calibration and does not cool sufficiently allowing the internal temp to get up to 11C even on level 6 on the control panel. I suspected the thermistor so I popped off the plastic cover cut it off and tested it.

Unfortunately it seemed to be behaving within spec for a 10k 3950 thermistor just google this and you will easily find a resistance/temperature graph for such devices. So it seems the problem must lie elsewhere.

It seems to me that the microcontoller in the control panel must use a reference voltage which passes through the thermistor then is measured and appropriate action taken (switch on/off). Somewhere either the reference voltage has drifted or some resistance has crept into the connections which seems to be an increase of about 2k ohms.

So what I have tried is adding a resistor (150k) in parallel with the thermistor to correct the control panel behavior.

This has so far had the desired effect the fridge now cycles between 2.5 and 5 degrees on level 5, good enough for cold beers next to the icy bit but not freeze the milk on the side furthest away from the icy bit.

I tried cleaning the connectors when I put the fridge back. (taken out to replace the charger)

I cannot explain what exactly what has happened only what I have done to fix it.

TD/DR: Does anyone have a link or part number for the fridge thermostat please?

Trying to fix a fridge on a 2017 California Ocean.

Would switch on the fridge via the control panel, the fridge control panel light would go on and switch off after 5 seconds, the compressor or fridge didn't even kick in.

Started diagnostics with the help of https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/

This is how everything was wired in originally:

IMG_4182.jpeg

Wired the C & T terminals together on the controller unit as per instructions and the compressor & fridge started working :)

IMG_4203.jpeg

So, I think that narrows it down to:

1) This relay, though I'm not 100% sure what this does or if it's likely to be faulty?

image.jpeg

2) The fridge thermostat

Does anyone have a link or part number for the thermostat please?

Is it possible to test the relay in any way?

I did read somewhere that it might be possible to remove the thermostat out of the fridge (under the white cover in the fridge itself) and solder the new one in, as opposed to removing the fridge, anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
It’s been suggested on another thread that something like these can be used

IMG_4217.png

I can’t seem to find this part number V7H 791 9529?
Drop the V off the front: 7H7 919 529 for all T5 / T6 / T6.1 according to lllparts website

Dealer invoices tend to have letters (V / VN etc - ) in front of the VW Part Number - I am sure they mean something, but i don't know what.

A

Last edited:
Drop the V off the front: 7H7 919 529 for all T5 / T6 / T6.1 according to lllparts website

Dealer invoices tend to have letters (V / VN etc - ) in front of the VW Part Number - I am sure they mean something, but i don't know what.

A

Thank you!

Just for info after lots of experimenting I believe the Temp sensor is actually a NTC 10K 3435
This would be fantastic news as I need one!

Did you try it, did it work?

This would be fantastic news as I need one!

Did you try it, did it work?
I didn’t swap mine, but I did lots and lots of cross checking between the one in the van and a 3435.

It is happy on my control panel rig with no faults.

I had a generic 3435 in the fridge in the same location as the standard one and they matched across lots of temperatures within the margin of error for these sensors.

I have been trying to work out the fridge operation, hence working it out what it is. The 3950 didn't match across the temp range, hence after lots and maths and testing I landed on the 3435.

A

Last edited:
I didn’t swap mine, but I did lots and lots of cross checking between the one in the van and a 3435.

It is happy on my control panel rig with no faults.

I had a generic 3435 in the fridge in the same location as the standard one and they matched across lots of temperatures within the margin of error for these sensors.

I have been trying to work out the fridge operation, hence working it out what it is. The 3950 didn't match across the temp range, hence after lots and maths and testing I landed on the 3435.

A

Thank you!

I’ll give it a go and confirm :)

Just checking what fault code are you getting that makes you think it is the temp sensor? 3011?

There’s no fault code but the fridge doesn’t turn on at all.

The only way I can get it to work is to bridge the terminals on the unit like this

IMG_4202.jpeg

I’ve narrowed it down to either the temp sensor or the little module in the picture that says CPT on it

IMG_4182.jpeg

There’s no fault code but the fridge doesn’t turn on at all.

The only way I can get it to work is to bridge the terminals on the unit like this

View attachment 120750

I’ve narrowed it down to either the temp sensor or the little module in the picture that says CPT on it

View attachment 120751
Can you take a photo of your "Hardware Menu" screen you get to it the same way as you do the VW Diagnostic one, but scroll up one. Also can you let me vaguely know the temp inside the van. Should look like this, but ignore the numbers in this picture

1711207410398.png

Can you take a photo of your "Hardware Menu" screen you get to it the same way as you do the VW Diagnostic one, but scroll up one. Also can you let me vaguely know the temp inside the van. Should look like this, but ignore the numbers in this picture

View attachment 120761

Will do when I get home. Thank you

View attachment 120761

Here you go. Sorry for delay.

Temperature is about 10c

IMG_7475.jpeg

Here you go. Sorry for delay.

Temperature is about 10c

View attachment 120875
Ok, so AN5 is the Fridge Temp Sensor, which is wired directly to control panel.

So with my calculations - 114 is 12.9°C - measured in the fridge.

So Level 4 upwards on the Fridge temp should request this on, but clearly you have had to bypass the transistor pack.

Edit: If the Fridge controller was reporting a fault then "Shft1" would have a value 20 going on and off in a sequence that matches the error pattern the fridge controller gives out in the Penguin Troubleshooting guide.

Andrew

Last edited:
Ok, so AN5 is the Fridge Temp Sensor, which is wired directly to control panel.

So with my calculations - 114 is 12.9°C - measured in the fridge.

So Level 4 upwards on the Fridge temp should request this on, but clearly you have had to bypass the transistor pack.

Edit: If the Fridge controller was reporting a fault then "Shft1" would have a value 20 going on and off in a sequence that matches the error pattern the fridge controller gives out in the Penguin Troubleshooting guide.

Andrew

Thank you!

So does that mean you believe the sensor is working ok?

Maybe the problem could be with this module:

I’m not sure what it is or does?

Thanks again for your help

Back