Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help, Italian speaker needed!

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Bang! Drivers wiper arm snapped in half due to iced onto screen. I’m in the NE of Italy but having real trouble communicating I need parts as speak little Italian. If there are any Italian members or speakers who could help explain to the nearest VW agent what is needed I’d be eternally grateful. Have part numbers of what is needed. Just need a little interpretation. Thanks.

D14D229D-539A-42E9-8776-7398B5E3FDDC.jpeg

Can it do live translation on the phone?

Thanks, I did try a translation but once they started asking questions it all went nowhere. Now have in sort of Italian speaking French guy on the case. Be interesting to see what parts turn up..

Reactions: Sad
Will the passenger arm not go on there as a temp measure.

Will the passenger arm not go on there as a temp measure.
Thanks yes have done that and glad works ok as forecast is bad and I’m having to go a very long way down the mountain as track has collapsed.

F8B1896F-CE9C-4D07-9726-95882BC1FA53.jpeg

That´s what i was thinking, if i had to drive down a mountain
and needed a wiper arm even if it didn´t quite fit, i would
make it fit. :thumb

I’d be in a Land Rover

I enjoy getting my very comfortable double glazed central heated mini penthouse to places where normally only Land Rovers go.

The Cali is SOOO much more comfortable a drive and a camper than any Landy! We would never go back to Landy + tent! :cool:

It should have been obvious really but VW Italy don’t have any RHD wiper arms. My breakdown cover said only if it’s raining so hard it becomes dangerous would they help. On pointing out it can’t be legal to drive they then offered to tow me to a garage and possibly wait unknown number of days for the part. Yeah right! Anyone have any idea how I can get a UK RHD drivers wiper arm to me in NW Italy? DHL? I’m likely to be here for several more weeks so will be worth the hassle. Will try VW CS in UK once they open to see what they can do.

It should have been obvious really but VW Italy don’t have any RHD wiper arms. My breakdown cover said only if it’s raining so hard it becomes dangerous would they help. On pointing out it can’t be legal to drive they then offered to tow me to a garage and possibly wait unknown number of days for the part. Yeah right! Anyone have any idea how I can get a UK RHD drivers wiper arm to me in NW Italy? DHL? I’m likely to be here for several more weeks so will be worth the hassle. Will try VW CS in UK once they open to see what they can do.
Even though they don’t have any in Italy, can they not order from VW Germany?

All parts come from them eventually.

I'd give someone really helpful like Rob the parts guy at Lancashire VW Van Centre in Preston a call.

Alternatively, it might be worth a trip into Austria to try get sorted. The Italian dealers weren't willing to help me that much when I needed a new EGR Valve.

I ended up going to a dealer in Innsbruck called VOWA who sorted me out.

Last edited:
Gave up with VW CS as on hold for 40 mins. Rob at Lancashire VW was helpful as he could be. Nice chap. Have found a French VW car dealer who claims can get the parts in a few days so hopefully found a solution. Waiting to get conformation of exactly how long it will take but so long as I get the parts before the long drive home I’m happy. Thank you for the help. Suppose there are worse places to have to hang around...

F299FB25-8510-48A2-B226-1EA756BCA845.jpeg

Suppose there are worse places to have to hang around...

Ah! Now we've got you! It's just an excuse: "Sorry boss, can't return home safely and have to stay a little longer until the wiper arrives!" ;)
No, seriously, hope this gets sorted all right through the french dealership.

Order what you need from UK supplier and get them sent Post Restante/Fermo Posta to the nearest Italian post office.

Order what you need from UK supplier and get them sent Post Restante/Fermo Posta to the nearest Italian post office.
Thank you. Did try to get a uk parts department to do that but it’s not in their scope to do so. Sorted now and should have parts by end of the week.

Reactions: Sad
More duct tape. :confused:
This was one of the very rare occasions when one look was all it took to know that no amount of duct tape, super glue, blue tack, flour and water, Velcro or epoxy resin would be enough. Finally got the new arm and wipers today for a mere 90 euros. Lesson learned is always check wiper switch has not been knocked up and are wipers frozen to screen before turning key to lower the roof.

If you think about it, it is amazing that there is no safety circuit for this. You can’t chop a cucumber (or finger) with your electric windows so why is it possible to snap a wiper arm by accident? You can’t even stop it before it is back to the starting position...

Back