Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help needed please, removing 5th seat

christoff

christoff

BH Orange Army
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
So far I've not fathomed this out.
I have removed the plastic end caps at the end of the rails, and moved the drivers seat as far forward as it can go. I have also folded the fifth seat down, and turned it around as per the manual. Problem is there is still not enough clearance to get the second set of seat lugs clear of the rail before it hits the drivers seat.
The dealer kindly fitted it for me, and didn't see how he did it, and being behind the drivers seat, it's just in the way!

to do mine I had to remove the rear bed shelf & slide the rear bench back far enough so that the 5th seat is clear of the rear pair of rail covers, remove them & then slide 5th seat forwards again. As we take our 5th seat in and out a bit I don't bother with the rear rail covers unless the seat is out, as the seat invariably covers the gap anyway.

to do mine I had to remove the rear bed shelf & slide the rear bench back far enough so that the 5th seat is clear of the rear pair of rail covers, remove them & then slide 5th seat forwards again. As we take our 5th seat in and out a bit I don't bother with the rear rail covers unless the seat is out, as the seat invariably covers the gap anyway.

Hello Andy

Thanks for your reply
have tried your suggestion, but the rear bench doesnt go all the way back on the rails, which appear to be contin
to do mine I had to remove the rear bed shelf & slide the rear bench back far enough so that the 5th seat is clear of the rear pair of rail covers, remove them & then slide 5th seat forwards again. As we take our 5th seat in and out a bit I don't bother with the rear rail covers unless the seat is out, as the seat invariably covers the gap anyway.[/QUOTE

Hello Andy
Thanks for your reply. I have tried this but the rear bench doesn't go all the way back, and the rail appears to be continuous.

I think you need to loosen and move the stopper in the rails

I think you need to loosen and move the stopper in the rails
Do you mean the plastic caps at the ends of the rails, or the actual ally runners?

There are little stops in the rails you need to loosen with a screwdriver
And slide along. Put a small screwdriver in the rail and slide it until it stops that will be it

How old is the cali Christoff?

the stop you are looking for is in the boot actually below the slot in one of the aluminium rails. The feet of the rear bench is hitting it, I am surprised the stop is in the way though as I would have thought the dealer would have moved it to get the seat in.

the stop you are looking for is in the boot actually below the slot in one of the aluminium rails. The feet of the rear bench is hitting it, I am surprised the stop is in the way though as I would have thought the dealer would have moved it to get the seat in.

Panic over, managed to do it. The ally strip had to come out as well. Easy when you know how. Not great instructions in the manual.
Thanks for all help, which got me the result. Large glass of wine now!

You don't need to move or remove the bump stops in the boot area. Remove rear parcel shelf, drop head rests down and push rear seat back as far as you can. If it is a new cali it might have the same rail covers as mine. You have already removed the plastic end caps, push the 5th seat back as far as you can and you should see a cut/ end to the rail covers. You have to grab the cover and slide it towards the front of the vehicle. Do this with both covers and you have the gap to remove the seat now when you push it forward. Mind you don't cut yourself removing the 2 ally rail covers.

You don't need to move or remove the bump stops in the boot area. Remove rear parcel shelf, drop head rests down and push rear seat back as far as you can. If it is a new cali it might have the same rail covers as mine. You have already removed the plastic end caps, push the 5th seat back as far as you can and you should see a cut/ end to the rail covers. You have to grab the cover and slide it towards the front of the vehicle. Do this with both covers and you have the gap to remove the seat now when you push it forward. Mind you don't cut yourself removing the 2 ally rail covers.

That's exactly how I did it in the end Larry. Not really clear in the manual. Much easier when experienced owners tell you how!

Thanks again everyone

My dealer hadn't seen it before when he handed the vehicle over to me. It gets easier each time but boy is that 5th seat a faff.