Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP... No Battery Power!

oceanblue

oceanblue

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi. Can anyone help? Stuck on a campsite with no battery power - not even enough to lock the van. Only been parked up for 4 days and on electric hookup but main battery dead and liesure battery showing 40%. Van 1 year old... Should this happen and what is causing the drain?

Any help or advice would be great while I await main dealer to call back! Don't want to cut break short and get towed with van full of kit!

Hi. Can anyone help? Stuck on a campsite with no battery power - not even enough to lock the van. Only been parked up for 4 days and on electric hookup but main battery dead and liesure battery showing 40%. Van 1 year old... Should this happen and what is causing the drain?

Any help or advice would be great while I await main dealer to call back! Don't want to cut break short and get towed with van full of kit!
Do you have Mains Power to the Kitchen Mains Socket?
Do you have the 'Plug' icon Left Lower corner on the Control Panel?
Do you have the Full electric side door?
Have you been using the Dashboard radio?

Probaly doors open and interieur lights on?(tailgate light , front cabin light )
Using 12v sockets from the dash?
Or radio used?
Ar you sure when you plugged in the hook-up the main switch was ON in the rear?
... and the hook-up gave power... was the plug pushed in correct?

If you don't need to move tonight , make sure you hook-up correct.
Don't use any power in the Cali and leave it overnight charging everything and go for a long ride tomorrow and hook-up again tomorrow evening

Last edited:
ring vw assist if you have a breakdown

if above messages do not help

Have you had the campaign/recalls updates done ?

It consisted of a software update to both the gearbox and engine software as well as the replacement of a pressure sensor in the turbo system and a replacement fuel supply hose. There is also a check to ensure the correct fuse is fitted to the secondary battery system.

Could the fuse be causing the problem ?????

Have you been using the radio? It is connected to the engine battery and takes quite a lot of power, so it can flatten the battery quite quickly. Some get it wires to their leisure batteries but that is not standard. The lights in the cab are also engine battery or were on my t5.

That said the hookup charges my engine battery so I would expect you to be ok?

12v sockets one on the dash is usually a engine battery one too. The 40% sounds odd though with hookup.

I will call VW assist who should be able to get you going?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for your responses - really helpful. I managed to get a jump start and took the van for a long run. Currently all ok, but I think there may be an underlying issue as hookup was fine, yet leisure battery only 40%. It's going into the dealer for checks prior to our next trip. There are a few recalls and warranty bits they need to carry out anyway. We did use the radio and dash 12v socket for a bit, but I thought the main battery was fed from the leisure battery when on hookup! Once again, thanks for your comments and advice!

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for your responses - really helpful. I managed to get a jump start and took the van for a long run. Currently all ok, but I think there may be an underlying issue as hookup was fine, yet leisure battery only 40%. It's going into the dealer for checks prior to our next trip. There are a few recalls and warranty bits they need to carry out anyway. We did use the radio and dash 12v socket for a bit, but I thought the main battery was fed from the leisure battery when on hookup! Once again, thanks for your comments and advice!
The Main Battery is trickle charged when on Mains Hookup providing of course your Charger is working correctly.
You might have Mains power to the Kitchen Socket, but is your Charger working?
Do you have the PLUG icon on the Control Panel?

There have been a number of cases where the Mains Lead to the Charger is not plugged in properly, so Mains at kitchen socket but no Mains to Charger. NO icon on Control Panel and flat Leisure and Engine Battery.

Agree with WG there is a common problem of the plug coming out of the charger and thus not charging

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Main Battery is trickle charged when on Mains Hookup providing of course your Charger is working correctly.
You might have Mains power to the Kitchen Socket, but is your Charger working?
Do you have the PLUG icon on the Control Panel?

There have been a number of cases where the Mains Lead to the Charger is not plugged in properly, so Mains at kitchen socket but no Mains to Charger. NO icon on Control Panel and flat Leisure and Engine Battery.
I'll check. I don't think the icon is showing, but it has in the past. This may be the problem... The mains cable is definitely connected properly and the 240v socket is working fine. Is this something else that needs to be added to the snag list?

The charger plug may have popped out, I believe it's under the fridge?

Edit that's on t5, t6 may be above leisure battery?

I'll check. I don't think the icon is showing, but it has in the past. This may be the problem... The mains cable is definitely connected properly and the 240v socket is working fine. Is this something else that needs to be added to the snag list?
You can or, if that is the problem fix it yourself.
Open boot.
Bottom L side, below Wardrobe doors, there is a Panel. Undo Panel lock and lift out Panel. Inside is the 2nd Leisure Battery. On top of it is the Charger. On the L side of the Charger is the Mains input lead with a Kettle type plug. Make sure it is firmly pushed in.
Re-connect Mains. Icon on Control Panel? Deserved G&T.
No icon - Refer to Dealer.

The charger plug may have popped out, I believe it's under the fridge?

Charger used to be under the fridge but since at least 2014 above rear Leisure Battery. Moved because of over-heating.

Great news... The problem was the connection to the charger above the leisure battery. Electric icon now showing on control panel so hopefully fixed. I have to say, it's a pretty poor connector and I expect it to become loose again. At least I'll know what to do next time. Thanks again everyone for your help!

Back