Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"HELP" Thule EasyFold XT 2B Cycle Carrier

homerorchid

homerorchid

VIP Member
Just bought a "Thule EasyFold XT 2B UK Cycle Carrier" (Towball mounted - factory fitted, removable towbar), from Halfords, amazing piece of kit. It tilts with the bikes securly fastened on carrier to allow you to open your rear hatch, only you can't with the Cali, the hatch is too low to allow this. Just wondering if anyone has any of the other Thule towbar mounted cycle carriers that have a tilt mechanism that would be suitable for Cali's and allows you to open the hatch as I'm thinking of returning this model.

Just bought a "Thule EasyFold XT 2B UK Cycle Carrier" (Towball mounted - factory fitted, removable towbar), from Halfords, amazing piece of kit. It tilts with the bikes securly fastened on carrier to allow you to open your rear hatch, only you can't with the Cali, the hatch is too low to allow this. Just wondering if anyone has any of the other Thule towbar mounted cycle carriers that have a tilt mechanism that would be suitable for Cali's and allows you to open the hatch as I'm thinking of returning this model.
Not without a modification it would seem.

Not Thule, but I’ve placed an order for the new Atera Genio Pro (2 Bike Carrier).

Need to slow down and try a bit of problem solving infuture. As suggested if you apply a little weight to the carrier this allows the hatch to open, sorted, very much appreciated:embarrased

I have a Thule Velospace XT3 on a Tow Trust removable towbar and it works perfectly. 2018 T6

There is probably 5cm clearance between the tailgate and the rack, and I use it to carry heavy E-bikes on the inner and outer rails.

Thanks Eeyore must be a slightly different shaped towbar than the factory fitted removable towbar. Generally Ok with cycle carrier now I know I just need to push down on the carrier to allow the hatch to open, shame I have to do this but other than that I'm really pleased with it. Apart from when I pulled the electric plug out the van alarm went off, not sure how to prevent this from happening?

The Alarm thing is a feature is the towbar electric to prevent a trailer theft when the van is locked. I assume it only happens when the van is locked? Shouldn't trigger the alarm when the van is unlocked.

You're right Eeyore, just tried it, it doesn't "Thankyou"

On the Carrier base mine has have two holes.
These are where the nut and wire are held connecting to the tilting bit.

Currently they are held in the rear hole closest to the van, you can unscrew , move the bolt and wire forward which allows full tilt if bike carrier.

Sorry can’t show images not currently with the Cali.
Hopefully makes sense?

Thank you, would be really interested in seeing photos. Got a reply from Thule, just said the carrier can't be adjusted and suggested going back to shop for exchange if not happy

I have the Altera Stada DL. Although it can carry 3 bikes it will slide and tilt enough to open the hatch when I avoid using the nearest slot. Very solid piece of kit.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/help-thule-easyfold-xt-2b-cycle-carrier.30874/

Sorry delayed getting home, please see image.
Red circle indicates previous position.
Quick five minutes and your carrier will find clear of the tailgate with bikes on the closest hold.

560D48B6-07A5-4E81-88F8-C7F73FC65841.jpeg

Thank you very much for great photo's, as soon as I get a minute I'll give it a go and let you know how got on, much appreciated Cali1

Back