Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule Easyfold 931

CharliFornia

CharliFornia

CharliFornia
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
For anyone looking at the Thule Easyfold 931.....

View media item 1363
View media item 1361
View media item 1362
View media item 1364
Watch out.....

View media item 1365
But there is a solution:

View media item 1366
View media item 1367
By removing 2 plugs, the rack will tilt further and rest on the ground:

View media item 1368
Just watch the cables, they will stretch, they just need a little adjustment:

View media item 1369
What's more is that is you're prepared to put up with a VOLVO badge, you can get a genuine 931 for approx. £200 less from Volvo Part Shop (I'm not on commission BTW)

http://www.volvopartshop.com/thule-...-14165-p.asp?gclid=CNfEitTR-9ICFRbgGwodNFQPBg

Hope this helps everyone!

Very helpful post - thanks. But I'm not quite understanding the extra tilt. Are you effectively just removing a 'stop' ? What's the balance like when loaded with bikes?

Hi,
you need the extra tilt so as to open the boot. When clicked in place for transport, the rack is unaffected.

Hi,
Trying to work this out, sorry. Do you drop the bikes down a bit with the stops removed so as to be able to open the tailgate? From the photo, it looks like the bikes (when in place) would be on the ground.

Correct, the outer most bike will touch the ground. It's a compromise between having a bike rack that doesn't extend past the roof and fowl the back window and being able to open the tailgate.

Hi,
you need the extra tilt so as to open the boot. When clicked in place for transport, the rack is unaffected.

I understand why it's needed - but not exactly what mod you are undertaking. Is it still easy to lift a duly loaded rack back from the tilt position to the normal position?

Top tip re the Volvo price.

Easy to lift back, you're not lifting the whole weight as the rack is still attached to the existing pivot point. It's just pivoting a little further than designed.

The mod is simply removing 2 stoppers that originally keep the bike rack tilted and off the ground to access the boot.

Hope all this helps.

All a great help thanks. Waiting for the rain to stop to see if my Witter bike rack will fit and let me open the tailgate...

Hi, i just became a french member of VWCC and happy owner of a T6 OCEAN. I look with interest this file, because i plan to buy an Easyfold (why not a Volvo genuine due to good price...). So this solution is good, by totally removing the plastic stopper. I have a suggestion : why not cut a little the 2 pipes in which are engaged the stoppers, about 5 or 10 mm, which doesn't affect the mechanical integrity of the structure. Then a paint touch on the cutted area and after that i put back the 2 stoppers in place, and limit the rotation to the necessary value without making touch the most rear bike to the ground.
Is it a good idea ?
Thanks for help and attention.
Gilbert, from Britanny in France.

Hi, i just became a french member of VWCC and happy owner of a T6 OCEAN. I look with interest this file, because i plan to buy an Easyfold (why not a Volvo genuine due to good price...). So this solution is good, by totally removing the plastic stopper. I have a suggestion : why not cut a little the 2 pipes in which are engaged the stoppers, about 5 or 10 mm, which doesn't affect the mechanical integrity of the structure. Then a paint touch on the cutted area and after that i put back the 2 stoppers in place, and limit the rotation to the necessary value without making touch the most rear bike to the ground.
Is it a good idea ?
Thanks for help and attention.
Gilbert, from Britanny in France.
I think, looking at the photos, that because of the position of the pivot bolts this would not be possible. The pivots appear to be at the end of the tubes next to the stoppers.

I think, looking at the photos, that because of the position of the pivot bolts this would not be possible. The pivots appear to be at the end of the tubes next to the stoppers.
Thanks for your reply. On the existing pictures i dont see clearly the pivot you speak about. Is it possible for you or any owner of an Easyfold to make pictures from the bottom in order to see this hing axis and the stoppers.
Regards. Gilbert

Sorry it is clear, when i look best pictures, axis are close to the tube end. I will machine a bit the stoppers or manufacture new ones a bit shorter.
Thanks for help. Regards. Gilbert

Hi, I have got the Thule Easyfold XT2, and modified it to be able to open the tailgate of my T6. It is very easy to do it. First you have just remove the 2 stoppers ( 4 bolts to remove : 2 of the pedal hinge and 2 of the main articulation). Second step, you modify their shape by filing them as shown on pictures attached. Last step, replace them at their location. And you get a rotation of almost 90°, so that 3 or 4 cm of gap is possible with the tailgate bottom.
Regards.
Gilbert

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

Hi, I have got the Thule Easyfold XT2, and modified it to be able to open the tailgate of my T6. It is very easy to do it. First you have just remove the 2 stoppers ( 4 bolts to remove : 2 of the pedal hinge and 2 of the main articulation). Second step, you modify their shape by filing them as shown on pictures attached. Last step, replace them at their location. And you get a rotation of almost 90°, so that 3 or 4 cm of gap is possible with the tailgate bottom.
Regards.
Gilbert

Everyone using a Easyfold XT3 and T6, does a MTB with the width of the handlebar 78cm fit on the first (the closest to the tailgate) rail? Does it not interfere with the tailgate window when driving?

does a MTB with the width of the handlebar 78cm fit
My MTB has a 70cm handlebar. I find that this just fits without fouling the tailgate window. I think anything longer would risk hitting the window as you go over bumps. However it is possible to mount the rack at a slight skew so that the handlebar end is further from the back of the vehicle. That would likely fix the clearance but I'm not sure of the legality of this as it would mean the number plate is fitted at an angle.

BTW it is still £240 cheaper if bought from Volvo than directly from Thule.

Where exactly did you get that offer? Here in EU I can get Thule XT3 for around 680€ and didn't find anything cheaper from Volvo.
And for the handlebar width...I guess that I'd put gravel or child bike on the first rail.

Note that the XT2 model for sale from Volvo is the slightly older Thule 931 version - the newer one on sale from Thule is the 933.

Not entirely sure on the differences - as far as I can tell the newer one is about 1.5cm "deeper", not sure if that gives extra clearance for the tailgate opening?

I just went for Thule Easyfold XT3 and here are my findings on T6. MTB with the width of handlebar 720mm will jut fit on the first (closest to the trunk) rail - very advisable is to put foam or similar protection over the handlebar grip as there is only a few cm of space between. It is possible to open the trunk fully with the removal or modification of the rubber stopper, but the rack has to be tilted at least 90 deg. That means that on the even terrain the bike with the width of the handlebar 720mm has to be on the second or first rail. If on the third (outermost) rail, the rack won't tilt enough with the bike on it. I'd say the maximum width of the handlebar on the third rail (to be able to open trunk) is around 600mm. So yes, works great but you have to do a little thinking to get most of it. Otherwise I am impressed with the design of XT3...very practical and easy to use rack.