Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help understanding heater options

Jrhbright

Jrhbright

Vehicle
Just browsing
I'm hoping to buy a used T5.1 California SE and I'm hoping to get some definitive help about the options for the heaters. From reading a lot of posts I think I've got it sorted in my head:

-The parking heater used diesel to create hot blown air, programmable via the central control panel and it's used to heat the whole van while you are camping. I'm pretty sure this is standard on a Cali?

-The auxiliary heater is something which uses diesel to heat up the engine coolant....Is this standard equipment on a Cali? How does this function? Does it only run to speed up heat-up time once the ignition is started or does it run before you start the ignition? Is it on a timer? If so does it also turn on the cab fans to heat up the windscreen? I've read somewhere about a remote for the auxiliary heater...is this an extra option?

Or have I missed something completely!

Thanks for helping, hopefully this post will go on to help other newbies who are confused about all the different heaters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to buy a used T5.1 California SE and I'm hoping to get some definitive help about the options for the heaters. From reading a lot of posts I think I've got it sorted in my head:

-The parking heater used diesel to create hot blown air, programmable via the central control panel and it's used to heat the whole van while you are camping. I'm pretty sure this is standard on a Cali?

-The auxiliary heater is something which uses diesel to heat up the engine coolant....Is this standard equipment on a Cali? How does this function? Does it only run to speed up heat-up time once the ignition is started or does it run before you start the ignition? Is it on a timer? If so does it also turn on the cab fans to heat up the windscreen? I've read somewhere about a remote for the auxiliary heater...is this an extra option?

Or have I missed something completely!

Thanks for helping, hopefully this post will go on to help other newbies who are confused about all the different heaters.

You are Correct.
Diesel Parking Heater heats interior. Controlled from Control Panel, Remote Control available to switch On/Off. Can be run continuously 24/7 if necessary. Can also be used when moving and not just stationary.

Auxilliary Diesel Heater only heats Engine Coolant. Fully automatic. Only works 5c or less with engine running. Switches off when Coolant gets to 85c or about.
Can be fitted with a remote system that allows you to start it on the engine battery but uses a lot of electrical power so can only be run for a limited time.

Both heaters require a minimum fuel tank level to run, somewhere between 15-20 L.

You are Correct.
Diesel Parking Heater heats interior. Controlled from Control Panel, Remote Control available to switch On/Off. Can be run continuously 24/7 if necessary. Can also be used when moving and not just stationary.

Auxilliary Diesel Heater only heats Engine Coolant. Fully automatic. Only works 5c or less with engine running. Switches off when Coolant gets to 85c or about.
Can be fitted with a remote system that allows you to start it on the engine battery but uses a lot of electrical power so can only be run for a limited time.

Both heaters require a minimum fuel tank level to run, somewhere between 15-20 L.
Awesome, thank you so much.

Are both heaters standard equipment on a Cali (except from the remote on the auxillary)?

Awesome, thank you so much.

Are both heaters standard equipment on a Cali (except from the remote on the auxillary)?

On the SE I believe so for all Model years. There is a label on the Drivers B pillar. One for the Webasto Engine Heater and one for the Eberspacher Parking Heater.

you have it sussed mate. only the eberspacher air heater or parking heater as it's often called. is not standard on the beach.