Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxilary heater question - settings v levels (T6.1)

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Not had our T6.1 long, finding the auxiliary heater hard to work out. Went away at the weekend for one night, so used the heater. Kept us warm (yet to get use to the noise of it!) but not really sure how I set it up !!
Heat continuously has level settings, how do the settings work?
If we go to 'Heat immediately' you have levels, how do the levels work?

Hope to try at home on the drive before we go away again but just wondered if anyone had info on the settings/levels?

Also the heater runs off the diesel, all depends on settings/levels I suppose but take it the diesel consumption is very low? We have an Eriba which has an electric element fitted in the heater so when hooked up use this (free heat).

Thanks for any info.

Hi there - had our 6.1 6 weeks now and after a couple of trips, research and visit to the dealer - think I’ve allayed all but one of my initial concerns around the heater:

* Heat immediately - will run for a perdetermined period of time (or until it reaches the level set), this is also the option that works off of the key fob and useful for a relatively quick blast and if you just want to heat the van up (say after a walk)..
* Heat continuously - this option is your constant heat (or over night heat) option - will run until it reaches the level you have set, cut out, then start up again determined by the thermostat or until you switch off.
* Departure times - this is the one that either baffles or annoys me, don’t know which yet.. So departure times only work when your’re in the van with the key ignition. Which means you could set it to come on in the morning (before you get out of bed), but not if you’re away from the van and want it warm for when you get back - seems an oversight to me.
* As an aside the ‘We Connect’ app cannot be used to control the aux heater which again is an opportunity missed by VW to give it some real value.
* Diesel usage - from what I can tell, it is very low and hardly registers even after a full night - also draws electricity for the fans but again no excessive leisure batter usage even after a full night and if usually on hook up, of no concern whatsoever.

What I can say is that on a cold and wet weekend away in NorthWales the heater worked absolutely fine and coupled with the insulated glass kept us warm and toastie even with the roof left up for 2 days.

Hope this helps!

Hi there - had our 6.1 6 weeks now and after a couple of trips, research and visit to the dealer - think I’ve allayed all but one of my initial concerns around the heater:

* Heat immediately - will run for a perdetermined period of time (or until it reaches the level set), this is also the option that works off of the key fob and useful for a relatively quick blast and if you just want to heat the van up (say after a walk)..
* Heat continuously - this option is your constant heat (or over night heat) option - will run until it reaches the level you have set, cut out, then start up again determined by the thermostat or until you switch off.
* Departure times - this is the one that either baffles or annoys me, don’t know which yet.. So departure times only work when your’re in the van with the key ignition. Which means you could set it to come on in the morning (before you get out of bed), but not if you’re away from the van and want it warm for when you get back - seems an oversight to me.
* As an aside the ‘We Connect’ app cannot be used to control the aux heater which again is an opportunity missed by VW to give it some real value.
* Diesel usage - from what I can tell, it is very low and hardly registers even after a full night - also draws electricity for the fans but again no excessive leisure batter usage even after a full night and if usually on hook up, of no concern whatsoever.

What I can say is that on a cold and wet weekend away in NorthWales the heater worked absolutely fine and coupled with the insulated glass kept us warm and toastie even with the roof left up for 2 days.

Hope this helps!
This is very helpful.

Trying to get to grips with our heater, never owned a California before so slowly starting to understand the system. Can I ask you about the 'levels' what do you set yours at, lower the number the higher the temperature.

Must try it on the drive before we go away again now the temperature has dropped.

I set heat immediately at max (10), since if I need to use it I want to heat up the van as quickly as possible. Also good when using the remote from inside the house to warm the van in the morning! For continuous heat, 3 or 4 is about right for us - but you’ll find your own preferred level.

Hope this helps!
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the clarity.
Shame about these oversights...

I set heat immediately at max (10), since if I need to use it I want to heat up the van as quickly as possible. Also good when using the remote from inside the house to warm the van in the morning! For continuous heat, 3 or 4 is about right for us - but you’ll find your own preferred level.
How do you do this from the key fob please?

This is very helpful.

Trying to get to grips with our heater, never owned a California before so slowly starting to understand the system. Can I ask you about the 'levels' what do you set yours at, lower the number the higher the temperature.

Must try it on the drive before we go away again now the temperature has dropped.
No problem, higher the level higher the temperature - so heat immediately we use at 10 as want to use to heat up the van as quickly as possible usually. Heat continuously; if we’re just sat in the van, usually 6 or 7 - but if sleeping 3 or 4 depending on how cold it is. Interestingly the older Oceans ran on levels 1-7 and apparently threw out a lot more heat with former owners complaining about the new heater; But I’ve nothing to compare it to either, and happy that it does what it says on the tin.

How do you do this from the key fob please?
It is not from the key fob. There is a separate small fob that has buttons to start / stop the diesel heater remotely.

It is not from the key fob. There is a separate small fob that has buttons to start / stop the diesel heater remotely.
Do you have a pic please i annot envisage this

Hope this helps!
Great info, just confused because we went away last weekend and woke up at 1am absolutely freezing and could not get the heater working again. When you heat continuously does that override the timer settings? We are going away again this weekend and dont want to freeze

Great info, just confused because we went away last weekend and woke up at 1am absolutely freezing and could not get the heater working again. When you heat continuously does that override the timer settings? We are going away again this weekend and dont want to freeze
If you use Heat Immediately a couple of times without driving the vehicle in between, the heater will then be disabled until you drive it. If you want a warm van all night long you should use Heat Continuously. Have a look at Will’s YouTube explanation.

If you use Heat Immediately a couple of times without driving the vehicle in between, the heater will then be disabled until you drive it. If you want a warm van all night long you should use Heat Continuously. Have a look at Will’s YouTube explanation.

Thanks I’ll have a go this weekend

Back