Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary Heater keeps switching off

John K

John K

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi
I’m hoping this a proper newbie easy fix question, apologies if that is the case, but I can’t find any threads with similar issues.
Had the van a week and I can’t get the auxiliary heater to stay on for more than a few minutes. As a result it never gets a chance to heat up.
I do get a diesel fume smell as expected when new but that’s about it.
Remote control, control panel, programmed, whatever, about 5 mins max then switches itself off . . .
John

Set it to level 10. Hook up to mains supply. Fill your diesel tank. And try again? This rules out low voltage and low fuel cut out.

As mentiont above , need more info on how your setting where....

Thanks so far.
Looked at error codes - had already found that thread - no error codes.
Will try mains connection tomorrow . . .

Well, tried the heater with a full tank and mains connected, but same problem.
Switches on ok, fan comes on, clicking noise from what I presume is diesel pump, but no heat from outlet, and switches itself off after 4-5 minutes . . .
Any other suggestions, or am I taking to dealer?

Did you up it to level 10 so it's not the thermostat in the foot well air intake? Sounds like it may be a glow plug failure on the heater itself not igniting the fuel. Is any fuel dripping out of the heater exhaust at all?

Level 10 yes. It does sound like something along those lines. There is a diesel sort of smell at times so that fits although don’t know about the exhaust.
Sounds like one for a dealer, it is only 10 days since I picked it up!

That's good then. Should be a warranty fix. What happens is sometimes if the diesel vapour doesn't ignite it saturates inside the heater after a few attempts and can then be seen dripping out the combustion exhaust. Often on a first ignition after problems like yours it will smoke like an a4 pacific until all the fuels burnt off. Be good to know the outcome though when you find out. Pain going to the dealers tho

Hi
I’m hoping this a proper newbie easy fix question, apologies if that is the case, but I can’t find any threads with similar issues.
Had the van a week and I can’t get the auxiliary heater to stay on for more than a few minutes. As a result it never gets a chance to heat up.
I do get a diesel fume smell as expected when new but that’s about it.
Remote control, control panel, programmed, whatever, about 5 mins max then switches itself off . . .
John

John I had the same issue. I upgraded the earth strap. Under the fridge and fiddly as hell to get to. But easily achievable with patience.

John I had the same issue. I upgraded the earth strap. Under the fridge and fiddly as hell to get to. But easily achievable with patience.
That was a problem with the earlier T5 models. I don't think the T5.1 or T6 models have ever suffered from this problem unless there is a problem with the Earth fittings from the Factory.

Thanks, I downloaded various fuse location guides and the earth strap upgrade guide, caution prevailed and as the van is only 2w in my possession to book it into Lancashire Van Centre under warranty.

Thanks, I downloaded various fuse location guides and the earth strap upgrade guide, caution prevailed and as the van is only 2w in my possession to book it into Lancashire Van Centre under warranty.
Did this get resolved? I find my heater turns itself off after about 30 seconds on any setting below about 8

Back